mini35 compact for Canon XL at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old November 3rd, 2010, 02:39 PM   #1
Major Player

mini35 compact for Canon XL

I'm wondering... is anyone out there using this system? Anyone own it?
Michael Galvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2010, 11:07 PM   #2
Inner Circle

The Mini35C or "compact" was P+S Technik's answer to the alternative non-flip 35mm adaptors and their lower light loss advantage. The Mini35C unlike the Mini35-400 does not flip the image from upside-down, therefore with the Canon XL1, XL2, it would be a headache to operate. It was intended for later Canon cameras and JVC GY-HD*** family cameras which could flip the image electronically. You have not defined your XL ?? camera so that is where my comment becomes illegitimate.

There are a number of Mini35-400s for Canon XL on eBay nowadays, selling cheaper than what it would cost to buy in a new Mini35C. You lose about an extra stop of light at the widest iris setting but this is more than compensated by the practical utility of an image that is presented normally to your camera and viewfinder.

Last edited by Bob Hart; November 11th, 2010 at 11:13 PM. Reason: error
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2010, 11:41 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Furthur to above, I passed by your website and saw you have a XLH1 ??? This may or may not be a camera capable of flipping the image elctronically. I simply don't know.

Jim Frater, a well reputed and award winning operator over here has been using one on his JVC GY-HD250 and he has recently upgraded to the HM series camera. He was pleased with the results he was getting with his Mini35C. He has now also gone the Canon 5dMk2 route.

If you buy a Mini35C, be gentle with the backfocus control. He used to rent his out and somebody must have given it a hard time. The backfocus knob/lock-off screw had been irreparably damaged by somebody trying to remove it in an attempt to tighten a loose internal part ( follower pillar which slides inside a slot in a metal cylinder to move a travelling optical group. )

My imagining was that there had been some transport vibration which might have loosened something and the renter had attempted an in-field fix.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2010, 05:33 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks for this Bob.

I currently have the latest XL - the Canon XLH1S. Also a Nanoflash.

I'm looking at possibly getting a mini35c for this system... then I'll have the image I like from the mini35/Canon system, but with less light loss. Plus recording this from the HD-SDI to the Nanoflash makes for a pretty fantastic image, along with the flexibility of a great codec for post.

I'm just hoping someone who has the compact version out there chimes in on their experiences with it.
Michael Galvan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods