Adapter for 37 mm Sony HDR-HC1 - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old October 12th, 2005, 09:02 AM   #46
Regular Crew

I have had no problems with rigidness on my very small HC1.
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/search.php?searchid=149990
Kevin Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2005, 07:11 PM   #47
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Tibbetts
Hmm..the Letus35 is $300...add $250 you get $550. You wont be getting any rail support for the Micro35 at that price, only the adapter.

Adapter and rails together sell for $850

I can tell you this much, you get no ghosting with the Letus35. The same can't be said for the Micro35

actually tony, the M2 comes with 2 different GG so you can swap them out when needed. for example, if you wanted to shoot outside put in the M2G element, but if you want to shoot indoors, put in the M2 element. the reason for this, is the M2G element loses some light, so its better for outdoors because you dont have to light it up, etc... using the M2 element indoors is good because it loses little to no light, so that works great for indoor shots. you get alot more options with the M2 than other adapters that i've noticed.

but, there are other adapters out there for those trying to hit a certain price point with lenses, adapter, achromat, rails, mattebox, follow focus, LCD monitor, camera, tripod, etc... its good that theres other price ranges and competition out there, it makes every company strive to make their very best product and keep improving. there is no miracle adapter out there... not even the P+S technik; i've seen better footage on this message board with homemade adapters than i have with the P+S... but then again, image quality and the "look" that the adapter gives the image is VERY subjective.
Cody Dulock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2005, 08:50 PM   #48
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody Dulock
actually tony, the M2 comes with 2 different GG so you can swap them out when needed.
I didn't mean to bash the M2 it seems like a solid adapter. Although I have seen examples with ghosting on both GG elements, maybe it was a user error.

Although it does seem to be an issue with this specific adapter, but in defense of the M2 I have seen footage that has no ghosting whatsoever.

On the flip side of that the Letus35 and Guerilla35 have no ghosting issues.

Jos,

For the budget conscious the Letus35 is a great choice. The vibrating focusing screen is actually a better idea than a rotating GG IMHO.

Do I think the Letus35 is perfect? No, not at all. I think the focusing screen could be a little bigger. They could use a better achromat (Which I hear will be updated in the newer versions) But the design is so simplistically brilliant that refinement over time will make this one of the best adapters on the market.

For $300 dollars give it a shot, buy a rod support system if you don't like it sell it and by the M2. The risk you take with the Letus35 is minimal.
Tony Tibbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2005, 10:46 PM   #49
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Tibbetts
I didn't mean to bash the M2 it seems like a solid adapter. Although I have seen examples with ghosting on both GG elements, maybe it was a user error.
comments, feedback, etc..., all help, so im sure redrock and quyen both appreiciate it.

you have seen ghosting with both imaging elements on the micro35? do you have a link to some footage i can view where you see it on the M2G element?
Cody Dulock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2005, 02:35 AM   #50
Major Player

I forget exactly where, but I believe it may have been on the M2 boards. they were pics that claimed no ghosting, but if you look in the highlights its there. Not as noticeable,but there.

But as I said in my previous post I have seen M2 stuff with no ghosting.

I believe certain lighting conditions effect each GG differently.

It could be the shooters, but The other adapters don't need secondary ground glass to avoid ghosting ...period. That's my original point.

Properly used I think the M2 gets great footage most of the time.

Who knows, maybe I'm biased. I'm a big fan of Quyens design. The adapter you get is definitely worth more than you pay for it. Even though (to my understanding) it is not a finalized design.

One of these days I'll post a pic of my homemade "Rod System" (i.e. stabilizer). You guys willl get a good chuckle out of it ...but it works!!!
Tony Tibbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2005, 10:58 AM   #51
Regular Crew

Fredrik:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Red
How do the macro filters work? Is it the increased distance from the GG or do they even out the light?
If I were to buy one or two filters, which would you suggest?

Others: Can we stick this thread to the Letus35 and HC1 combination instead of a general adapter discussion? Or am I out of line?
Thanks!
Old October 13th, 2005, 12:05 PM   #52
Major Player

I bought a macro pack from http://www.2filter.com/prices/digcam.html

I think it was this one:

Tiffen
Close-Up Set
made in USA
+1, +2 and +4 lenses
with case
$33.82

It allows me to only do about 25 % zoom instead of 50% +. I am not sure it's a valid alternative yet. I need more time... argh.. why do we only have 24 hours a day?

Well, the thread is about any adapter for HDR-HC1... so any adapter that works with HC1 goes. I just happened to choose the Letus35..
Old October 17th, 2005, 01:27 PM   #53
Regular Crew

Ah, ok.
Thanks
Old October 17th, 2005, 01:47 PM   #54
Trustee

Does anyone know what new achromat Quyen is now using in the Letus35?
Old October 18th, 2005, 12:51 PM   #55
Major Player

Have you tried asking him first?
Bill Porter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods