Shoulder Mounting? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old August 24th, 2005, 07:24 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Shoulder Mounting?

Has anyone found any new options for shoulder mounting these mini35 rigs that's comfortable, etc.?

http://www.madmojo.com
Production blog.
Eric MacIver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2005, 09:39 AM   #2
Major Player

Eric,

I encountered this issue as well when I first got my XL-1s/mini35 hookup. I really didn't feel like buying something, so what I did was take a sheet of foam and cut it into a 5" or so wide strip. Then I wrapped this strip across the bars on the back end of the min35. For cosmetic purposes, I covered it with some black cloth. It looked totally fine and I filmed tons of stuff just with the rig on my shoulder.

Total cost: 50 cents or so

-Dave
Old September 7th, 2005, 07:56 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Frank
Eric,

I encountered this issue as well when I first got my XL-1s/mini35 hookup. I really didn't feel like buying something, so what I did was take a sheet of foam and cut it into a 5" or so wide strip. Then I wrapped this strip across the bars on the back end of the min35. For cosmetic purposes, I covered it with some black cloth. It looked totally fine and I filmed tons of stuff just with the rig on my shoulder.

Total cost: 50 cents or so

-Dave

Dave, I noticed you're from Detroit. I'm originally from Grand Rapids and am thinking of coming back that way to do a short film.
My question is: do you find Detroit an accesible city to shoot in in terms of finding and renting locations? Do most people open their door or slam it if you don't bring the megabucks?
I'm in L.A. now and have found out that everyone here is completely "Hollywood" about renting out their spot for filming.
They hear how much the big boys pay for space and instantly assume everyone should pay this amount. For instance I went to check out a warehouse space they filmed "Million Dollar Baby" in and found out for a dilapidated, crummy space they charge $5000 a day!
Perhaps the cheap spaces are here but I cannot seem to locate them.
I've been to Detroit more times than I can remember and like the grit and industrial look of certain parts of the city. Grand Rapids can pull of a Detroit look in certain parts but I would like to film the real thing.
Any advice on this?
Eric Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2005, 09:03 PM   #4
Major Player

Eric,

Most of the time I never have much of a problem finding places to use for locals around the city itself. I have never done much more than exteriors downtown, so I haven't rented anything myself. But on a film I worked on where we needed a warehouse, we had an in with the owner, so getting the location wasn't even an issue. I would definitely recommend shooting Detroit.

One thing to note is that the Michigan Film Coalition is fairly crappy. So they aren't usually very much help as I've heard. But this sure isn't LA. I can guarantee you that.

-Dave
Old September 14th, 2005, 11:47 PM   #5
Major Player

Sorry so late in getting back to this thread..lost track of it. Thanks for the info, Dave.
Eric Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2005, 05:09 AM   #6
DV Rig Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric MacIver
Has anyone found any new options for shoulder mounting these mini35 rigs that's comfortable, etc.?
Have a look at: http://dannynatovich.bizland.com/

We have demonstrated and tested the EngRig support at IBC last week and the P+S guys where very happy with it...

Danny Natovich
DvTec
Danny Natovich is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods