F-stop comparison using stills from footage? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old August 29th, 2005, 04:21 PM   #1
Regular Crew

F-stop comparison using stills from footage?

Is there an accurate way of measuring the total luminosity of an imported still in Photoshop vs a differant imported still for comparison, then converting that measured differance into an F-stop number?

I guess I could shoot a white balanced board, then stop down at each increment taking note. Then import a still from each stop down and measure the total luminosity of each in photoshop and have a base line for future comparisons? Then this could be used to evaluate DV stills from between various scenes, and lens attachements?

I think I just answered my own question, but correct me if the logic is flawed.

thanks

jh
John Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2005, 09:43 AM   #2
Regular Crew

If you shoot a card with a single shade/color (preferably an 18% gray) in a flatly lit environment, the "total luminosity" will be easier to determine, since there should be very little difference in the luminance values across the frame.
Instead of shooting "various scenes" with the DV camera, just reshoot the same gray card in the same lighting, and take frames from each iris setting into Photoshop for comparison to the the reference camera. As you swap out lenses and attachments, this could be a way of evaluating your DV camera's exposure behavior.
The minute you start shooting scenes as a means of evaluating exposure, things get very complicated, because different cameras shooting identical scenes at identical fstops will record different values of a scene due to different contrast/gamma settings (or film characteristics), as well as due to differences in exposure latitude.
I suspect you are really looking for a way of monitoring changes in light transmission, so you'll probably want to keep the scene to being a simple card, during the evaluation process. As you know, 18% Gray is the visual half-way point between white and black, and easier to evaluate when it's clipping at either end of a camera's exposure latitude.
Hope this helps in some way,
G
Glen Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods