New method for spinning real Ground Glass - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old September 12th, 2005, 12:23 PM   #31
Major Player

seems like your making some progress wayne, glad to hear, but to bad about the fingers. I kn ow that they make stab proof clothing, maybe you can get some gloves made out of it to protect the fingers.
Keith Wakeham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2005, 12:28 PM   #32
Major Player

Keith,
I really should take safty more seriously:D

Maybe some simple gardening gloves could be in order. I do stress to anyone thinking of using this method BE CAREFULL!!!!

Wayne.
Wayne Kinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2005, 01:41 PM   #33
Major Player

Wayne: I have the housing, motor, condensers, achromats, ground glass, etc...but I am undecided on the best way to mount the glass to the motor shaft.

I am thinking there should be a rubber interface for two reasons: #1 - To reduce the chance of shattering due to sudden movements (if the glass is rigid-fixed to the shaft) #2 - To allow the glass to automatically even / balance itself out (because I am working with low-tech tools and can't guarantee it will be mounted in such a way as to have no Z/depth-motion - so it is easier for me to let it spin itself straight.)

What you've posted about mounting the glass, THEN spinning it slowly and marking the circle - that is an excellent idea. However, I don't have a circular glass cutter so that wouldn't work well for me.

I've sortof slowed down on experimentation due to hurricane Katrina and some house damage (no electricity or phone service at home at the moment), but I will be sure to post pictures when I get something going.

Thanks!
Frank Ladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2005, 04:31 PM   #34
Major Player

Frank,
Nice to see you here! i changed my method so you only nee a normal straight line glass cutter, if the cutter can be hold on the glass in a fixed position, then rotate the glass in the fan motor by hand, there by scoring the glass in a perfectly centred circle. I used a small model car/airplace wheen on the other side of the glass under the cutter to support the pressure of the cutter.

I hope you succeed with your method, frank.

Wayne.
Old September 14th, 2005, 05:45 PM   #35
Major Player

And there we have it! 1 spinning ground glass.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/wayne.k...nd%20glass.jpg

Thanks,
Wayne.
Old September 14th, 2005, 06:47 PM   #36
Major Player

Nice job! Good on ya for persevering.
Bill Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2005, 06:52 PM   #37
Regular Crew

Way to go! You gotta be feeling pretty good about that!
Congratulations.

G
Glen Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2005, 07:07 PM   #38
Major Player

Thanks Bill and Glen,

Yeah I got there in the end, modified my original method slighty, but got there. Hope to have the thing all housed and some test footage up tomorrow, only if people are interested though.

Glen, yeah it feels pretty good, at times i thought it was not going to work, but i JUST DID NOT want to use plastic, IT HAD TO BE GLASS!!! Im very happy, still ironing out my method to improve things. BTW, the glass is 1.5mm thick.

I would like to thank Keith Wakeham for helping me with the technical side of the fan motor and also about power options, Greg Boston and Ben Winter for sujestions for centring the disk, Bill Porter and Glen Hurd for help and guidance of glass cutting and thanks for all else for moral support.

Thanks,
Wayne.
Old September 15th, 2005, 07:05 AM   #39
Trustee

I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this, but redrockmicro.com sells replacement ground glass for their spinning system for $25 on their site. Since it's designed for the exact same purpose I bet this would be a good way to go and it's a heck of a lot easier than grinding your own and balancing out the center.

And thanks for the props Wayne!
Old September 15th, 2005, 07:33 AM   #40
Regular Crew

Yeah, and who's going to NOT be interested in your test footage! :)
Personally, I would look forward to people's test footage everyday, but that's just me.
I'm just now discovering that there are a lot of things to discover regarding choice and placement of lenses for these systems (thanks, in part, to Wayne's pictures -- kinda got me off my a$$ and doing some experiments of my own). There also appear to be some subtle "gotchas," in there too.
So here's to your first spinning glass disk, and to more samples of what it can do. (clink of glasses)

G
Glen Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2005, 08:21 AM   #41
Major Player

Ben,
I have heard that the reddockmicro glass is not actually glass but a type of plastic, i could be wrong though. I also heard that the $25 replacement glass is only for customers that purchased the main unit. Again, correct me if im wrong, but thanks for pointing that out.

Still adjusting the housing and that, but hope to have test footage up later.

Thanks,
Wayne.
Old September 16th, 2005, 10:12 AM   #42
Major Player

Test Footage Uploaded

Ok guys,
Finally got everything together and got some quick test shots with my new baby. My first impressions are that im very pleased, but i need to adjust the condesor lens as the distance is not correct. Here is the link, 46MB quicktime file:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/wayne.k...ter_Test03.mov

Please keep in mind that these shots are filmed with a cheap 1 CCD panasonic cam like this one: http://www.skala.nl/usr_img/webshop/19/PA-NVDS30.jpg

You will notice both slight barrel distortion and slight vignetting, but this is due to the condensor distance. You can see the barrel distortion on the shot looking through the balcony rails. As in my experiements in my other thread with the condensor lens, 11mm away from GG seems to be optimum. I'll do some adjusting and get some more shots. There is also a slight bit of dust on the consensor lens. BTW, im recording the full 36x24mm frame area.

Anyhow, let me all know what you think so far. Im also working on a commercial unit with 15mm rod support that will be coming in the near future.

Thanks,
Wayne.
Old September 16th, 2005, 10:23 AM   #43
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Kinney
Ok guys

SWEET!!!!!
(the aspect ratio seems a little off though, that fan looks rather oblong! ;-)

Nice job; looks awesome!
Marius Luessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2005, 01:51 PM   #44
Major Player

WOW Finally

Someone did it with REAL glass.. Did I miss it or has someone made a guide for this setup? Cause I'll make one... Also Red Rock is plastic cause I had one and they also went up from $10.00 to $25.00... WOW... Thanks...

OK I found the guide but didn't know if this is the updated guide... Also I've had frosted window film placed on glass before for this purpose and it has been the most crisp of anything I've tried... thanks again
Old September 16th, 2005, 02:10 PM   #45
Major Player

Footage

OK the footage looked the best I've seen in a very long time... I think I'm back in the game of making my 3rd adapter... WOW looks very nice...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods