New Music Video shot on Sony HDR-FX1E and 35mm adapter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old September 30th, 2005, 03:31 AM   #1
Regular Crew

New Music Video shot on Sony HDR-FX1E and 35mm adapter

Hi everyone, I have just completed a low budget music video, which I shot on my HDR-FX1e, please take a look, your feedback is welcome. As many of you who have seen my short film 'The Riddle' would know, the vignetting on the video was a desired effect and isn't a trait of the adapter.

I was incredibly impressed with how much better the HDV format is for color grading and correction, and how much more the images could take compared to DV, before they began to break up. This is a fantastic format to work with, and a real pleasure to grade.

I also didn't have the problem, many have mentioned with fast moving objects causing the image to fall apart, all of my frames looked very good with no compression artifacts, and only one dropout on the entire shoot.

I did have fairly low expectations from the camera, however I was incredibly impressed with the results, which are infinitely clearer and sharper than DV when down converted to SD. I definatly won't shoot DV again.

Anyway, here is the link to the video, I just wish everyone could see the quality of the original.

http://www.pixelloft.com/3lflex.htm

Nick
Nicholas Bartleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2005, 04:11 AM   #2
Major Player

Nick,
As with all your work, this looks amazing, man. Inspirational and actually reminds us of the reason we are building these adapters in the first place - TO BE CREATIVE!!!

Truely amazing work, Nick.

Wayne.
Wayne Kinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2005, 12:44 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I like that girls Ninja Turtle shirt :)

Great video man.

edit: Curious.. what was the budget on this?
Lloyd Choi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2005, 12:46 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks Guys, I really appreciate it,.

I thought that shirt was pretty cool to....Retro baby!
Old September 30th, 2005, 12:46 PM   #5
Major Player

Nick, what mode did you shoot in. CF24, 30 mode? Awesome work, man.
Eric Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2005, 12:48 PM   #6
Regular Crew

CF25 Pal Version
I did some quick tests and couldn't see any real degredation in image quality between 1080i and the 1080CF25, so i kept it nice and easy with no de-interlacing.

Hope this helps, Nick
Old September 30th, 2005, 12:59 PM   #7
Major Player

Am I missing something? I keep hearing people say how bad the CF mode is on this camera but yet I keep seeing some darn nice footage. Once, again. Very inspiring work, Nick.
Old September 30th, 2005, 01:27 PM   #8
Major Player

well i suppose cf25 doesnt have to do as much work converting 50i to "25p" as cf24 does trying to convert 60i to "24p". the former probably only requires some deinterlacing whereas the latter requires a more imperfect conversions and probably a less accurate result.
Noah Yuan-Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2005, 02:17 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah Yuan-Vogel
well i suppose cf25 doesnt have to do as much work converting 50i to "25p" as cf24 does trying to convert 60i to "24p". the former probably only requires some deinterlacing whereas the latter requires a more imperfect conversions and probably a less accurate result.

Good, point, Noah. Thanks.
Old September 30th, 2005, 02:20 PM   #10
Major Player

Nick, one more thing. I noticed it looks like you used a Formatt Matte box on your rig. (I could be wrong but it looks like one)
What type of rod system are you using to connect it to the Formatt? And more importantly how does it connect?
Old October 1st, 2005, 04:59 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Hi there, this is a formatt matte box, the 15mm rod support system for the entire device was built by me with the help of an engineering firm from aluminium and stainless steel. The mounting bracket was also made by me, and is simply drilled and bolted onto the matte box.
Hope this helps
Old October 1st, 2005, 06:43 PM   #12
Major Player

could anyone experienced tell me if CF25 produces less Mpeg2 artefacts than 50i ??
Juan M. M. Fiebelkorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2005, 04:26 AM   #13
Regular Crew

I shot in CF25 and found that the quality was very good, and there wasn't any really noticable mpeg compression. This was something I was worried about having heard all of the horror stories on the forums, however, even with a fast shutter speed and fast action, I couldn't notice and blocky compression on a frame by frame basis during grading.

Hope this helps.
Old October 2nd, 2005, 04:20 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Bartleet
Hi there, this is a formatt matte box, the 15mm rod support system for the entire device was built by me with the help of an engineering firm from aluminium and stainless steel. The mounting bracket was also made by me, and is simply drilled and bolted onto the matte box.
Hope this helps

Ah, homecrafted. The only way to go if you can do it. Thanks, Nick.

Although... the Cavison rod system is darned cheap and probably easy to modify...decisions.
Old October 2nd, 2005, 09:12 PM   #15
Trustee

I just ordered the Cavision rod support from B&H. I'll let you know how it is and provide pics too.

By the way Nick, I'm noticing chromatic aberration on that music video of yours. It seems to be an inherant problem with a lot of these adapters.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods