letus35 owners... need cleaning advice - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old October 21st, 2005, 06:45 PM   #31
Major Player

Wow...and I thought I was being rough on mine. Using a D screen is an interesting idea.
Tony Tibbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2005, 07:04 PM   #32
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Winter
The D screen is a good bit heavier than the GG that was in there is, so the vibration motor is going to need a power boost.
Ben,

I modified my Letus35 to accept different battery packs. Here are some pics:

http://www.tonytibbetts.com/letusmod01.jpg
http://www.tonytibbetts.com/letusmod02.jpg

Not the greatest pics, but you get the idea.

Just to warn you though, the 6V battery pack can get pretty noisy.

On a side note: For anybody who's interested, on the frosted CD the grain is so uniform that you can almost shoot without the vibration...well almost. I have to use the shadows to get the video cameras macro to focus on the screen.
Old October 21st, 2005, 08:45 PM   #33
Trustee

Ironically Tony I did the exact same thing, with the kind of three-pin connectors they use with computer fans.
Old October 21st, 2005, 09:01 PM   #34
Major Player

looks like i'm going to be taking a trip to radio shack soon. thanks for sharing, guys!

question: does the stronger vibration from the 9volt affect the stability of the camera?
A.J. Briones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2005, 09:11 PM   #35
Trustee

Probably not. The size of the motor limits the thing to only so much vibration, and I seriously doubt something as small as a dime can really affect the camera.
Old October 21st, 2005, 10:00 PM   #36
Major Player

Ben,

I was wondering how well the Nikon D screen would work with the Letus35, do you have any side by sides of the old GG and the Nikon Screen? How is it in Low light situations?

I think the 9V players out there are a good idea - we need some side X side of those as well to see how they stack up!
Leo Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2005, 11:39 PM   #37
Major Player

9v is too much for the motor, thanks.

Quyen
Old October 22nd, 2005, 10:16 AM   #38
Trustee

mandy,

My Nikon D Screen has a large blemish in it that polished out the ground glass, so now I have a portion of my D screen that shows the aerial image. The screen is essentially ruined. I can take a few test shots with it but it will have that imperfection. I can then shoot the same shot with Quyen's ground glass in place once the replacement comes in the mail. But from what I have seen with the Nikon D screen in place, there does seem to be less grain, if not better light transmittance. It's hard to beat Quyen's ground glass in terms of that.

Also guys, for those of you who want lens covers for each side of the Letus35, try the smaller side of lens filter cases overtop each side held on by a rubber band around the whole thing lengthwise.
Old October 22nd, 2005, 03:14 PM   #39
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quyen Le
9v is too much for the motor, thanks.
I agree, I wouldn't run it past 6V. Trust me, it's way noisy at 6V. I would recommend against it.

Although I have been debating setting up a 6V battery pack with a fader type knob to alternate the speeds of the motor. That may be something someone here would like to experiment with.
Old October 26th, 2005, 01:37 PM   #40
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy Leo
I wrote a small cleaning how-to and gave it to Quyen, don't know if it is up on his site yet, you might check there for info.

The plastic pieces are a product of the Plastic Moulding that Quyen is making. Nothing major, just compressed air to get rid of it.
hi mandy, this how-to is not up on the site yet. is it possible for you to email to me? i can also host it, if others would like to see it.

thanks!
A.J. Briones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2005, 03:09 PM   #41
Major Player

Quote:
Although I have been debating setting up a 6V battery pack with a fader type knob to alternate the speeds of the motor. That may be something someone here would like to experiment with.
Tony: That actually wouldn't be too difficult. All that's needed would be the variable resistor (aka potentiometer) between the motor and the power source. These can be had from Radio Shack for a couple of bucks.
Frank Ladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2005, 04:24 PM   #42
Major Player

I really can't post it without Quyen's permission, so he will have to give you the go ahead, sorry!
Leo Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2005, 04:43 PM   #43
Major Player

Leo,

It's your guide, I don't see any reason you can't post it. There are some differences on the Letus35 version (I am not saying 35A I just upgrade it a little by little without posting). So the guide for your unit doesn't cover all other units but the basics are really similar, thanks for putting the guide together. I just don't have time to make it universal, thanks.

Quyen
Old October 26th, 2005, 07:48 PM   #44
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Ladner
Tony: That actually wouldn't be too difficult. All that's needed would be the variable resistor (aka potentiometer) between the motor and the power source. These can be had from Radio Shack for a couple of bucks.
Yes, I know. I'm lazy. I was merely hoping someone else would dop it and tell me how well it works.
Old March 4th, 2006, 05:15 PM   #45
Regular Crew

I got some blurred spots on my GG on the Letus35, some spots that looks softier than the whole stuff. it is some kind of dirty? how do i clean the GG?

thanks!
Daniel Moloko is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods