Whats the Best Ground Glass? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old October 25th, 2005, 04:27 PM   #1
New Boot

Whats the Best Ground Glass?

I've seen different types of ground glass used on 35mm adapters and they all create some grain - anyone know which one you can get the best image with?
Orestes Mita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2005, 04:59 PM   #2
Major Player

Are you intending for a static design? If so, i would recommend viewing the 'Microwax techniques' thread. You can also try a professional 1500 grit glass from optosigma or thorlabs. Either that or try grinding your own glass with 1500 grit aluminium oxide

Wayne

Last edited by Wayne Kinney; October 25th, 2005 at 05:37 PM.
Wayne Kinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2005, 05:26 PM   #3
Major Player

If you're going with a static design, the wax has been said to be the best, although the most elusive (has anyone really made these, and do they last?).

However, you can get great results from using a Beattie Intenscreen. That is what I'd recommend to anyone doing a static design at this point. They are easily available, although a little expensive, and probably the least amount of grain possible without going to a moving element design.

If you are making a device that will spin or vibrate the GG/focus screen, you may want to stick with an actual Ground Glass. I'd recommend the Thorlabs 1500 which comes in 2" round diameter, or the Opto Sigma which comes in a 50mm diameter (a little smaller). If you are mounting this in a filter ring, I can tell you which ones fit in which. I'd say the Opto Sigma is the least amount of grain of the two.

Good luck, and let me know if you're working on a moving element design. :)
Steev Dinkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2005, 05:41 PM   #4
Major Player

The optosigma glass does have ghosting problems though. This is me trying the glass personally. I think Steev's Beattie Intenscreen option is best, or if thats too expensive, then grinding your own glass with Aluminium Oxide.

Wayne.
Wayne Kinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2005, 06:06 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I also say the beattie intenscreen is perhaps best and easiest option for static. On top of having almost no grain, it is incredibly easy to set up and doesn't require a condensor or anything. Here is a great example of a beattie screen. You can check my post down the page for another example of a beattie screen.
Jeff Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2005, 05:29 AM   #6
Major Player

Steev, <<<has anyone really made these, and do they last?>>>
Frank Ladner made one. I made one and they last surprisingly good if you make them right. They stand the heat very well. Because I was so very cautious with it I dropped it allot of times on the floor. Nothing happened. It is as good as grainless.
Oscar Spierenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2005, 10:18 AM   #7
Major Player

I hold to microwax being the best static solution available. However, Steev is right in calling it elusive because it is quite difficult to get right. Oscar's method seems to work well, though. If one has the patience to work with melted wax, the end result is very rewarding.
Frank Ladner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods