What does the 'L' series on the FD lenses mean? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old November 1st, 2005, 04:34 PM   #1
Major Player

What does the 'L' series on the FD lenses mean?

A little off topic, but I am looking in a FD lens but it is the 'L' series. Does anyone know what this means as far as optics go? Is it a good, bad lens system in comparison to let's say the SSC series?
Leo Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2005, 07:13 AM   #2
Major Player

The 'L' lenses are their top of the range... If I am not mistaken, as silly as it sounds, I heard that L stans for 'Luxury'. Stand to be corrected.
Valeriu Campan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2005, 07:55 AM   #3
Trustee

L lenses are basically of a higher quality, and reserved for zoom lenses and telephotos.

Last edited by Greg Boston; February 14th, 2006 at 08:07 AM. Reason: removed reference to duplicate posts
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2005, 07:55 AM   #4
Trustee

You can distinguish them from their red ring. I do not know how they compare with the SSCs, but you can read about it here.
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2005, 02:57 AM   #5
Regular Crew

'L' Fluorite Elements

The 'L' in the FD range may well stand for luxury but it refers in practice to a fluorite crystal element that is a part of the optical array. This means that there is less glass for the light to pass through. It also means that the lenses are awesome. I have a number that are mount converted for my Aaton, and many of the commonly used 35 and 16 telephoto type lenses are canon optics in a better cine type lens casing (gears etc).
The SSC system is good (Super Spectral Coating I believe) but is a much older system than the 'L' series. The image is excellent but not comparable to the 'L' series, the 'collar' lock on the SSC lenses and the housings are excellent and solid.
Avoid the black fluorite series of lenses (.i.e. the black 300 2.8 Fluorite) not as good by far.
These are all completely manual remember and they have no 'IS' or Vibration reduction motors. They have the FD or FD New mount and will not fix to an EOS still camera without an adapter.
They are the perfect candidates for conversion to PL mounts for use on video/cine cameras, in fact the majority of wildlife is shot through a quality zoom (such as the Zeiss, Canon or Angenieux) and a combination of the 300 2.8L, 400 2.8L, 150-600 5.6L and extenders such as the 1.4x and 2x.

James
DP
Earthmedia Imaging and Film
Mozambique
James Ewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2006, 07:08 AM   #6
Tourist

fd lenses for xl2

is it possible to stick a fd-lense on an xl2? do I need an adapter and it that case how can I get one?
Danny McStay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2006, 08:13 AM   #7
Trustee

Danny, I believe Quyen sells these "XL Family" adapters on his website www.adapterplace.com. The Letus is sold there also.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods