New support rods question... - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old November 18th, 2005, 02:10 AM   #31
Regular Crew

As a new person, I'd like to say that I've been inspired by, and benefited greatly from, the grand spirit of comaraderie and collaboration here. This flaming is sort of a surprise. Here's hoping that you guys resolve whatever beef this is, so this incredible resource and positive spirit can continue!
Gabriel Chiefetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2005, 02:24 AM   #32
Major Player

I personally think Dan's stuffs are better than Canivision's rod support and can be used for the Letus35. I will no longer worry about making support for my units, thanks Dan. I want to buy your stuff also, please send me some pictures, thanks.

Quyen
Old November 18th, 2005, 02:49 AM   #33
Major Player

hey, i love you all, but in the end, it's all about what i can get to better my craft. i was lurking here when agus first came up with the method, and where i may be lacking in thanks, i more than make up for in cash and credit.

dan, if you have a working rod system for the letus35, please mail me with prices and pics and i will buy it. if you have a working follow focus with gears for it (canon or nikon... quyen, this means i'll be hitting you up for a nikon version of the letus35a), please mail me details and there's a good chance i will buy it too. in fact, i think i messaged you about this before, but got no response. fyi: i want to use this on a vx2100 or fx1.

to the inventors and innovators, keep it coming. i may not be vocal, but i vote with my wallet.
A.J. Briones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2005, 03:25 AM   #34
Trustee

Oscar, for some reason, I missed the post about the wax adapter tutorial. I went through it and it was informative and well made. It better illustrates how these things work. It is a fairly simple concept, but it is nice to see the specifics in as many configurations as possible. I just got my Letus35 and I'm sure I'll end up modifying it for my purposes at some time, and these diy guides help explain things and give me ideas for my own modifications. First, I think I want a metal lens mount. I officially thank you.

Dan, I can't possibly understand why people would seem unappreciative of a professional who is interested in making custom hardware for reasonable prices for their hobbies/professions. People in general should learn to see generous experts for the philanthropists that they are. It's one thing to share ideas, it's an order of magnitude greater to invest in the equipment for those ideas and take the time to make a specialty product for an affordable price. I officially thank you as well.

I personally thank those who put forth effort to further my goals in any field. I also recommend that people don't bite the hand that that catalyses their goals.

Also, I see enough variance in the methods used by the different makers to say that there doesn't seem to be any reason for moral outrage against people selling these adapters. Dan's method is different than Quyen's which is different from Redrock's, etc...

As for lens support, I have yet to see a system that specifically addresses the issues of the videographer. The idea of the lens support used on big still telephoto lenses is a good start, but videographers have different constraints from still photographers. Still photographers don't need to follow focus and I've never seen an lcd and a matte box mounted on a sports photographer's telephoto lens. Still photographers can carry extra camera bodies if they need to do a quick-change between lenses and filters. Videographers can rarely carry an extra camera and lens system on a strap around their neck.

We need our own system. I'm still open to ideas. I'm starting to think of a small bearing system that clamps around the lens and then is supported from above and to the right by a projection off the lcd monitor support. This would allow the operator to still access the lens from the usual left-handed position without any interference and sometimes from the right without complete interference.

I have some new criteria. I need the whole thing to fit in a carry-on suitcase. I refuse to put my camera equipment in the baggage hold. Actually, I refuse to let the tarmac workers go near my camera, but that is a different story. I need room left over for my toothbrush, deodorant, extra pair of underwear, and a small teddybear (in case I get lonely).

Marcus
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2005, 06:19 AM   #35
Major Player

Thanks Marcus, but I was more or less only joking with Dan (as you can still hear him cough)

If you studied Dan's website carefully, you know it's not too much to ask (about the teddy bear I mean) Anyway, it is said that Cavison only has space for a little rabbit. Back to the topic.
Oscar Spierenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2005, 09:28 AM   #36
Major Player

hm hmm, wabbit that is.
Dan Diaconu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2005, 11:50 AM   #37
Regular Crew

Deeply saddened..

Hello!
Today is a sad day as it is most likely the end of my dream of affordable aftermarket video add-ons. The market seems to be dominated by grumpy old men who can't sleep at night with the thought that someone else might offer similar or better products for a more reasonable price.

We need to see more innovative men who will bring these fancy contraptions to market at prices within reach of the hobbyists and the students. I know I'm not the only one tired of staring at beautiful devices that I can never afford.
Especially when i'm still making movies with my Panny GS-250.
:)

Jimi
Jimi Colteryahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2005, 12:29 PM   #38
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Colteryahn
I know I'm not the only one tired of staring at beautiful devices that I can never afford
Jimi, do tell us something new for a change, please.
There are so many "works of art" out there most of us wonder if anyone ever buys them...
Here is one example (of thousands):
http://didboss.free.fr/bugatti/original/bugatti.jpg Surprisingly, some buy those...
What else can I say? Join the club (a large club!)
Old November 21st, 2005, 08:49 AM   #39
Trustee

Dan, I'm really not here in a personal crusade or anything. I just couldn't see how your support is better or cheaper than the Cavision here:http://www.cavision.com/rods/minidv.htm
But I'm willing to be educated about it. You don't need to just turn around and say"go buy Cavision". It's just that I don't see why the Cavision wouldn't work with the Letus35 or any thing for that matter, and how yours is cheaper. Don't you want $200 for the whole thing? The Cavision is under $150. That was my point. No need to lose sport over it and just say “Buy Cavision then”
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2005, 11:23 AM   #40
Major Player

Michael,
What I had in mind to offer was a Letus support like this: http://dandiaconu.com/gallery/album30 and a long lens (or zoom) rods support.
(I am sure you can tell the diff between the straight raiser proposed and the matching diameter circle segment when it comes to support a cylinder; further more; when dynamics come to play and the camera is moving. Inertia of the SLR lens long or short would make it slide L/R if only rested on the raiser!). Tape or epoxy? Pick one.

Meanwhile I found this: http://cavision.com/rods/lenssupport.htm and I posted the result on the Gl1 thread. Nothing more. I just did not know they have it at the time I offered to help. Could it be used for Letus? Most likely yes. Would it do the same job? Just about (imo). No tape and no epoxy. Is it worth refining an existing wheel? Not really (imo) Cavision is available now. No sport lost in the process.
Old November 21st, 2005, 12:29 PM   #41
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Diaconu
http://didboss.free.fr/bugatti/original/bugatti.jpg Surprisingly, some buy those...
What else can I say? Join the club (a large club!)

Dan, when I saw your name in this month's Bugatti Owners Club newsletter I didn't realize it was the same you. Welcome!!
Bill Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2005, 01:00 PM   #42
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Porter
I didn't realize it was the same you
I unsubscribed "zeat" a long time ago (so it is not me)
Ehh...
http://www.econ.kuleuven.be/public/n...ge-07-1024.jpg
...and so on and so forth. In all honesty, I'd be more excited to have some spare time than those.
Old November 21st, 2005, 01:38 PM   #43
Trustee

The Bugatti is hot, but the Lotus Elise? It’s the British Miata(MX-5) :D
They can be had for pretty reasonable prices around here. Probably less than the price of a Vette in the U.S. Not a big deal and actually it’s pretty slow compared. More in the league of a Miata than of a Bugatti LOL

Dan, you hadn't shown the lens support picture before. That sure makes some difference. Now that you found out Cavision makes something similar, are you giving up making yours for sale? I have to say your lens support itself looks better.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2005, 01:46 PM   #44
Major Player

imho, i'd rather buy dan's design because it looks sturdier. also, knowing that i can get both the rod support and the follow focus from the same manufacturer means i know that it will work.

for what it's worth, you still have my preorder if you wish to continue.
A.J. Briones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2005, 01:47 PM   #45
Major Player

... and that's the lotus exige, which costs more than the elise. i hope to one day get an elise.... it's my dream car.
A.J. Briones is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods