DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   New support rods question... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/54457-new-support-rods-question.html)

Marcus Marchesseault November 15th, 2005 05:58 PM

New support rods question...

How will support rods hold up a big, heavy lens? Wouldn't it get in the way of using the focus? I have a lens that does not seem to have any place to add support. The whole thing covered by it's focusing or aperture rings. How could a rod system hold this up?

I know that a partial answer to my question would be to use a follow-focus mechanism, but I still don't see how a lens covered in adjustment rings could be supported. Has anybody built or bought a system that supports the lens itself? I'm sure it is easy to support the Letus35, but the lens itself?

Marcus

Dan Diaconu November 15th, 2005 07:12 PM

$160 (if you want) and you owe me a review.
I had a big 4/200 I made it for a while ago. It will take about 15-20 days to get it anodized (as I did not care for "looks" back then). I know exactly the problem you have.

Marcus Marchesseault November 15th, 2005 09:10 PM

Dan (and others),

I would love to solve my issues for $160, but I need more than just support rods. What I want is a shoulder-brace, monopod/tripod mounting, rod support with a place to mount my LCD monitor and 12v battery.

I don't want to bolt a rod support to a shoulder brace then mount my LCD to the hotshoe with a cable going to a 12V battery in a waist pack. Then, I would have to take it all apart to put it on a tripod or monopod.

I should explain how I shoot. I use my VX2000 on a stabilized monopod for 90% of what I shoot. It is a bit heavy and the stabilizer bar can get in the way. i get excellent results as I am always stabilized and I can switch from low, to shoulder-height, to 10ft. high camera angle in less than 3 seconds. I really like the flexibility of a single camera package mounted to a monopod.

Now, I have a new idea to incorporate the mass stabilization and lcd monitor into the rod support/shoulder brace and have it accept tri/monopod plates, but I don't know how to support the lens without interfering in it's operation. Also, it wouldn't hurt to have a MB or just bellows mount capable. Oh, I forgot, I also want to get a ring light or something similar.

So, here is what I want to get/make from front to back/top to bottom:

Matte box, ring light, lcd support, lens support, 35mm adapter support, camera support (mic can still attack to camera hotshoe), battery support, shoulder brace - all in one long piece. It also must accept standard mono/tripod head mounting plates on the bottom. I would then add a second battery to the bottom of the first section of the monopod, as I do now, to give the three points of mass needed for stabilization.

I know how all of this will work, except for the part where the rods get in the way of the lens. Not only do they get in the way of using it, but the lens must be allowed to move during focus. A matte box with FF allows the user to focus with rods in the way, but how would the rods support the lens without getting in the way?

I'll stop now. As you see, I've put a lot of thought into this and am a bit frustrated.

Mahalo (thanks) in advance for any advice, from anybody. I assure you, if I solve this issue, there is an excellent system for people that want lens adapters, monitors, and stabilizers...all in one package.

OH! I am handy with carbon fiber fabrication, so feel free to come up with wacky ideas. Carbon fiber can be shaped into almost anything, so the sky is the limit. Still, simple is always better in any design.

Marcus

Dan Diaconu November 15th, 2005 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcus Marchesseault
but how would the rods support the lens without getting in the way?

Like "magic", you'll see. What is the offender lens? Give me something to work with.

Kin Kwan November 15th, 2005 11:29 PM

So Dan, can you make a rods support for the Letus35? How much would it cost to add a follow focus with it?

Dan Diaconu November 16th, 2005 12:10 AM

I have the design finished guys. No time to take pics now, but is about the same as for MPIC. Camera plate/rods support/contraption rods mount (less $ than Cavision and better design) Carbon fiber rods. The best in the west!

Marcus Marchesseault November 16th, 2005 06:22 AM

Okay, Dan, I'll bite. I don't know if this will be a lens I use frequently, but it is typical in size for a telephoto. It is a 28-200mm macro lens from Vivitar. It is only f3.5, so I may not use it much EXCEPT that it might be perfect for outdoor weddings where zoom flexibility may be important. I've realized that long telephoto is still best left to the onboard lens with maybe a telephoto adapter. Regardless, I will definitely get/make some sort of camera/lens/battery support system. If you can get 24" carbon fiber rods, your system may be big enough to be converted into a shoulder brace system.

I like the looks of your other hardware, and if I can get Diaconu-branded equipment that fits my purposes for $160, I'll start saving my pennies.

Marcus

Dan Diaconu November 17th, 2005 12:06 AM

Quote:

Okay, Dan, I'll bite

Now.. no need to put it this way. If you are not happy, the value is the same for someone else. Pay for shipping and send it back for a refund.
Whether is this lens
http://img.2dehands.nl/f/normal/96784421.jpg
or this one
http://jml.nl/winkel/images/olympus-ET-P3028.jpg
you'll be able to "rest it" on the rods while focusing. OK? And the price is lower (less than $100)
Better yet, post a pic of your lens (I just want to make sure; some have a funny rubber grip)
Kin, the Letus rods mount is almost identical with the MPIC mount.
I should start a new thread on this. (less than $100 as well)
As for the camera/tripod/monopod plate (rods included) I can have it for about $125.
To sum it up, for about $200 you can get Letus to look like this:
http://www.dandiaconu.com/newweb/images/mpic_1.jpg
Please keep in mind: what you see is not the final design.

Michael Maier November 17th, 2005 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Diaconu
To sum it up, for about $200 you can get Letus to look like this:
http://www.dandiaconu.com/newweb/images/mpic_1.jpg
Please keep in mind: what you see is not the final design.

I know you said it's not the final design. But so far, it's not better design than the Cavision and also it doesn't cost less. The Cavision is about $150.

Kin Kwan November 17th, 2005 07:17 AM

Michael, how is the Cavision one better? I think Dan's design looks pretty good and it's specifically for the Letus. Plus it is cheaper, it's $150 compared to $125. (I'm not sure what he meant by "for about $200" though.) Just curious to see why you think the other is better.

Michael Maier November 17th, 2005 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kin Kwan
Michael, how is the Cavision one better? I think Dan's design looks pretty good and it's specifically for the Letus. Plus it is cheaper, it's $150 compared to $125. (I'm not sure what he meant by "for about $200" though.) Just curious to see why you think the other is better.

Did I say the Cavision was better? I thought I said Dan's not better, which is very different than saying the Cavision is better. It could also mean it's just as good as the Cavision and not better, which was what I meant. I think you distorted my words a little there ;)
But he said his was better and cheaper.
Quote:

Camera plate/rods support/contraption rods mount (less $ than Cavision and better design) Carbon fiber rods. The best in the west!

But now that you said it, looking again, in my opinion, the Cavision looks nicer (less homemade), and it seems to be more adjustable. Although I can't say just buy looking at Dan's from one angle.

Dan Diaconu November 17th, 2005 08:27 AM

No need to argue (and possibly mislead other readers):

a) Cavision does not offer a Letus rods support, right? (I offered it for under $100)
b) Cavision does offer a camera plate/rods support, right? ($125-149)
c) I offered them both for $200, right?
d) I have battled the specific issues for MPIC for months. I have the solution (not offered by Cavision).
e) On the outside, both MPIC and Letus share the same cylindrical shape (a different diameter I guess)

I also offered to take it back if it does not work for you, right?
One simple solution: buy both, try them both and send back the one that does not work.

I also offered (separately) a long lens (or zoom) rods mount/support (under $ 100) to address the issue of "ability to focus using a gear while on a zoom lens like the 28-200 I have (or other brand) WITH OR WITHOUT a support mount on the lens!!!

These are "problems" I had for some time and I HAD to address them.
I aslo fully understand YOUR problem guys with an obscene/unsupported set-up in public.

Now I offered the solution I have to you as well.

I do not want to publish anymore explicit pictures until I have the parts in stock.
I will have them in stock (that means manufacturing costs, CNC programming, etc) because IT WORKS for me here and I believe in what I do. New thread?

Marcus Marchesseault November 17th, 2005 09:29 AM

I don't think we need a new thread. I opened this question and this is exactly the information I am looking for. To answer why Dan's design may be better than other's, you need to go back to the original question. How to support the lens itself? The Cavision is more of a generic rod support and does not seem to offer any way to support a lens without getting in the way of the focus mechanism. Dan apparently has a solution to this issue.

For these 35mm adapters, especially the Letus35 with it's plastic lens mount, support of the lens itself may sometimes be important. I think a great example is my 28-200mm zoom lens. Some people will want to have some of their original camcorder's capabilities at the same time they get shallow DOF. A 28-200mm lens is about as wide as a wide-angle adapter and about as much telephoto as one would want without a serious tripod. For run-and-gun shooting in sunlight, this lens would be perfect. Unfortunately, it is long and heavy so it may eventually damage the 35mm adapter. Also, it is practically covered by the focus ring with little room to support it's weight. To top it off, the lens changes length when zooming! This is quite a task for anything that you try to get to support this beast. Also, the cavision doesn't seem to support a 24" rod system that I desire. If this system works, it would probably be considered revolutionary.

Oh, and I didn't mean to start any arguement. My "okay, I'll bite" remark is just an expression sometimes used as: "okay, you've partially convinced me, but since I'm skeptical...tell me more". I still want to see pictures, but I like Dan's other designs so maybe his solution is worth waiting for.

Any other ideas? My idea is to build some sort of support that extends out the right side to the front of my VX200. There is a box on the right side of the lens (focusing motor?) that has no controls that may be a good place to run a monitor and lens support arm over. If the support goes off to one side, it wouldn't get in the way of the left hand operating the focus.

Dan Diaconu November 17th, 2005 10:21 AM

Quote:

To answer why Dan's design may be better than other's

Other's meaning....???
Sorry but I don't know of any other. I would have bought it and used it (or modify it if not good enough)

I think we have three distinct issues here:

One is a heavy long lens/zoom rods support "thing" (not available) stressing the SLR mount,
another distinctive one is the Letus rods support "thing" (not available) and
the last one being the camera plate/rods support (available from Cavision) which I bought and modified to address the vertical play which leads to GG being not lined up with the camcorder screen with end result in seeing the edges of the gg on the footage)
?Right?
Now, for a few units (for myself) is more practical to modify the existing and build what is missing.
For a larger no of units, cost efficient is to have them all made WITH the change in place.
For the non-existing items, the same rule applies (imo)
What do you think?

Ben Winter November 17th, 2005 12:40 PM

I don't understand the issue here. The Cavision rod system comes with an adjustable bracket that holds up any lens. Why not put it at the point on the lens where the flange mount meets the lens? Or even on the Letus itself? You can even tell by the pictures only that the Cavision system is meant to be a "fit all" situation.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/l...ges/335969.jpg

This picture is more helpful.

http://www.cavision.com/rods/RS15IIM_2.jpg

And the page:
http://www.cavision.com/rods/minidv.htm

Jimi Colteryahn November 17th, 2005 01:13 PM

Cheap, but would sell like hotcakes!

Hello!
I think the real issue here is, though most won't admit it, is that we want a Camera mount-Rod System, Matte box and Follow Focus for $400.
We want the above with a slr lens adaptor for $700.
We want the entire package with a 7" LCD with rechargeable battery, hood, mount for $1200 or better.
You could prolly charge more if you included a hat that simply says "Director" on it. I mean like a $100 bucks more. Just no big company logo...
Thanks!
Jimi

Michael Maier November 17th, 2005 01:55 PM

That's what I thought too. The Cavison support here: http://www.cavision.com/rods/minidv.htm , seems to offer the same as Dan's and is a fit all type of thing. So I didn't understand what this fuzz here is about:
Quote:

a) Cavision does not offer a Letus rods support, right? (I offered it for under $100)
b) Cavision does offer a camera plate/rods support, right? ($125-149)
c) I offered them both for $200, right?
d) I have battled the specific issues for MPIC for months. I have the solution (not offered by Cavision).
e) On the outside, both MPIC and Letus share the same cylindrical shape (a different diameter I guess)

Alfonso Rojas November 17th, 2005 02:00 PM

Hello fellas,
Cavision matteboxes pretty good? I'm a bit new to this and would like to get a Mattebox for my XL1. I'm kinda eager to find out prices for the 4x4 mattebox, do you guys have any idea? I'm still waiting on their response. Also, when I buy a mattebox, everything usually come with it? obs. need support rods, but is that it? Thanks much!
-Alfonso

Dan Diaconu November 17th, 2005 02:23 PM

You talk looking at pictures, I talk with three on the table.Take it from them (and make it work). Sorry to even try to help.

Ben Winter November 17th, 2005 04:09 PM

Dan, it's not that we don't believe you, it's that we don't believe you.

We just don't understand why the Cavision rod system wouldn't work with the Letus. Can you provide us with pictures or details explaining why you say the Cavision won't work? Cavision provides the entire rod/support thing for $160 max, and I'm not understanding why an adjustable bracket coming up from the rods wouldn't be able to work with the Letus.

?

For talking with three on the table, you talk pretty ambiguously.

Marcus Marchesseault November 17th, 2005 05:28 PM

Yall ain't lisnin! (whip crack echoes across the mesa)

Dan's system addresses an issue that the Cavision can not. There are no pictures yet on Dan's site that show his complete system, only the rod support for his follow focus. We will need to wait and see how Dan has solved the problem.

The issue I am talking about is LENS support. It is a simple matter to support the Letus35. It is another matter entirely to support a moving lens that needs to have the operator's hands touching it constantly. There is practically no place on some lenses to support their weight without getting in the way of some moving part. Even the filter flange moves when focus changes (it breaths in and out).

Why do Letus35 owners need lens support? The plastic mount is not super strong and will warp or even break after extensive use of a long zoom lens. My zoom lens weighs about 1.5 pounds and is 8" long when in full telephoto. That is a lot of weight cantilevered out that far for a plastic mounting ring.

Dan, don't take it personally and get frustrated. I don't think people understand how dynamic a problem lens support can be. If your system truly addresses the issue of lens support that does not prevent using the lens, they will see the merits of your product.

Jimi Colteryahn November 17th, 2005 05:49 PM

hello!
Can the tripod foot design of telephoto lenses be used for what you need?
The entire lens does not rotate, you can still place a foot. Then to prevent the lens from stressing your Letus, ziptie it to the foot in two places, kind of like a telephoto collar.
Jimi

Dan Diaconu November 17th, 2005 05:57 PM

Nothing personal. Marcus, you have the same problem I had a while ago. You asked for help and I offered help. The rest doesn't matter. No more pictures master Ben. Master Lee learned a good lesson to me. Buy Cavision. Marcus, if you still need help, email me.

Michael Maier November 17th, 2005 06:33 PM

Quote:

. No more pictures master Ben. Master Lee learned a good lesson to me.

For devices based on "stolen" ideas from P+S (all the people making and selling DOF adapters), a lot of people here seems terrified of other people stealing "their" ideas and making money with them. I wonder what Agus think of all that.

Oscar Spierenburg November 17th, 2005 06:58 PM

Dan, DO take it personally, but just don't pay any attention. I made a brand new micro-wax guide days ago and not a single person said thank you. But that's OK, there will always pop up someone some time who appreciates what you do.

Michael, there is a big difference between someone copying a product or (even worse) the Agus35 - and someone finding a solution to a need.

Michael Maier November 17th, 2005 07:05 PM

That is not what I meant Oscar.

Kurt August November 17th, 2005 08:06 PM

Solid

Oscar, perhaps you made a new tutorial, but I don't find it on your website. Where do I find it?

Dan Diaconu November 17th, 2005 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Maier
For devices based on "stolen" ideas from P+S

Well, Michael, here is a small piece of the puzzle you seem to have missed:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/archive/i...p/t-25971.html
Where did I still this one from?
http://dandiaconu.com/gallery/album40/IMGA1582 and this one?
http://dandiaconu.com/gallery/album40/IMGA1489 and this one?
http://dandiaconu.com/gallery/FIRST-PICTURES/IMGA0660TU or this:
http://dandiaconu.com/gallery/Oustan...t/newfacefocus
Please don't ask for more! Your questions may hurt other people! Do some homework before biting the drum in public. You knew "for fact" that they were the inventors and subsequently, unable to recognize a major improvement (Patent Pending Michael !) over a cheap copy you posted the previous. I should be “insane” to attempt to patent “existing works” while reciting the Mini35 in the references, right? But,... no hard feelings here.

Dan Diaconu November 17th, 2005 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oscar Spier
and not a single person said thank you

(cough, cough) LOL (cough, cough) hmm.. hmm.. sorry about that, but.... were you expecting it? ahhhhh, I know... you liked how much my work was praised around here and you wanted to share some of the...(cough, cough) glory?... (old fashion manners fella)

Where were we? Aaaah, I remember.....
Yeah... interesting topic anyway.

Kin Kwan November 17th, 2005 10:20 PM

Hey Dan, I'm still interested in all this, too. Please keep us posted on how your device goes.

Gabriel Chiefetz November 18th, 2005 02:10 AM

As a new person, I'd like to say that I've been inspired by, and benefited greatly from, the grand spirit of comaraderie and collaboration here. This flaming is sort of a surprise. Here's hoping that you guys resolve whatever beef this is, so this incredible resource and positive spirit can continue!

Quyen Le November 18th, 2005 02:24 AM

I personally think Dan's stuffs are better than Canivision's rod support and can be used for the Letus35. I will no longer worry about making support for my units, thanks Dan. I want to buy your stuff also, please send me some pictures, thanks.

Quyen

A.J. Briones November 18th, 2005 02:49 AM

hey, i love you all, but in the end, it's all about what i can get to better my craft. i was lurking here when agus first came up with the method, and where i may be lacking in thanks, i more than make up for in cash and credit.

dan, if you have a working rod system for the letus35, please mail me with prices and pics and i will buy it. if you have a working follow focus with gears for it (canon or nikon... quyen, this means i'll be hitting you up for a nikon version of the letus35a), please mail me details and there's a good chance i will buy it too. in fact, i think i messaged you about this before, but got no response. fyi: i want to use this on a vx2100 or fx1.

to the inventors and innovators, keep it coming. i may not be vocal, but i vote with my wallet.

Marcus Marchesseault November 18th, 2005 03:25 AM

Oscar, for some reason, I missed the post about the wax adapter tutorial. I went through it and it was informative and well made. It better illustrates how these things work. It is a fairly simple concept, but it is nice to see the specifics in as many configurations as possible. I just got my Letus35 and I'm sure I'll end up modifying it for my purposes at some time, and these diy guides help explain things and give me ideas for my own modifications. First, I think I want a metal lens mount. I officially thank you.

Dan, I can't possibly understand why people would seem unappreciative of a professional who is interested in making custom hardware for reasonable prices for their hobbies/professions. People in general should learn to see generous experts for the philanthropists that they are. It's one thing to share ideas, it's an order of magnitude greater to invest in the equipment for those ideas and take the time to make a specialty product for an affordable price. I officially thank you as well.

I personally thank those who put forth effort to further my goals in any field. I also recommend that people don't bite the hand that that catalyses their goals.

Also, I see enough variance in the methods used by the different makers to say that there doesn't seem to be any reason for moral outrage against people selling these adapters. Dan's method is different than Quyen's which is different from Redrock's, etc...

As for lens support, I have yet to see a system that specifically addresses the issues of the videographer. The idea of the lens support used on big still telephoto lenses is a good start, but videographers have different constraints from still photographers. Still photographers don't need to follow focus and I've never seen an lcd and a matte box mounted on a sports photographer's telephoto lens. Still photographers can carry extra camera bodies if they need to do a quick-change between lenses and filters. Videographers can rarely carry an extra camera and lens system on a strap around their neck.

We need our own system. I'm still open to ideas. I'm starting to think of a small bearing system that clamps around the lens and then is supported from above and to the right by a projection off the lcd monitor support. This would allow the operator to still access the lens from the usual left-handed position without any interference and sometimes from the right without complete interference.

I have some new criteria. I need the whole thing to fit in a carry-on suitcase. I refuse to put my camera equipment in the baggage hold. Actually, I refuse to let the tarmac workers go near my camera, but that is a different story. I need room left over for my toothbrush, deodorant, extra pair of underwear, and a small teddybear (in case I get lonely).

Marcus

Oscar Spierenburg November 18th, 2005 06:19 AM

Thanks Marcus, but I was more or less only joking with Dan (as you can still hear him cough)

If you studied Dan's website carefully, you know it's not too much to ask (about the teddy bear I mean) Anyway, it is said that Cavison only has space for a little rabbit. Back to the topic.

Dan Diaconu November 18th, 2005 09:28 AM

hm hmm, wabbit that is.

Jimi Colteryahn November 18th, 2005 11:50 AM

Deeply saddened..

Hello!
Today is a sad day as it is most likely the end of my dream of affordable aftermarket video add-ons. The market seems to be dominated by grumpy old men who can't sleep at night with the thought that someone else might offer similar or better products for a more reasonable price.

We need to see more innovative men who will bring these fancy contraptions to market at prices within reach of the hobbyists and the students. I know I'm not the only one tired of staring at beautiful devices that I can never afford.
Especially when i'm still making movies with my Panny GS-250.
:)

Jimi

Dan Diaconu November 18th, 2005 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimi Colteryahn
I know I'm not the only one tired of staring at beautiful devices that I can never afford

Jimi, do tell us something new for a change, please.
There are so many "works of art" out there most of us wonder if anyone ever buys them...
Here is one example (of thousands):
http://didboss.free.fr/bugatti/original/bugatti.jpg Surprisingly, some buy those...
What else can I say? Join the club (a large club!)

Michael Maier November 21st, 2005 08:49 AM

Dan, I'm really not here in a personal crusade or anything. I just couldn't see how your support is better or cheaper than the Cavision here:http://www.cavision.com/rods/minidv.htm
But I'm willing to be educated about it. You don't need to just turn around and say"go buy Cavision". It's just that I don't see why the Cavision wouldn't work with the Letus35 or any thing for that matter, and how yours is cheaper. Don't you want $200 for the whole thing? The Cavision is under $150. That was my point. No need to lose sport over it and just say “Buy Cavision then”

Dan Diaconu November 21st, 2005 11:23 AM

Michael,
What I had in mind to offer was a Letus support like this: http://dandiaconu.com/gallery/album30 and a long lens (or zoom) rods support.
(I am sure you can tell the diff between the straight raiser proposed and the matching diameter circle segment when it comes to support a cylinder; further more; when dynamics come to play and the camera is moving. Inertia of the SLR lens long or short would make it slide L/R if only rested on the raiser!). Tape or epoxy? Pick one.

Meanwhile I found this: http://cavision.com/rods/lenssupport.htm and I posted the result on the Gl1 thread. Nothing more. I just did not know they have it at the time I offered to help. Could it be used for Letus? Most likely yes. Would it do the same job? Just about (imo). No tape and no epoxy. Is it worth refining an existing wheel? Not really (imo) Cavision is available now. No sport lost in the process.