35mm SLR Lens info at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old December 1st, 2005, 02:16 PM   #1
Major Player

35mm SLR Lens info

Maybe this thread can be a catch-all for talk about SLR lenses. Or, considering some people have made medium-format systems, the thread could apply for any lens on the front of a relay... lens... adapter... ground glass or microwax... system. We really need a better name for these things, by the way, LOL.

Someone emailed me asking about the difference between Canon FD S.S.C. lenses and regular Canon FD lenses. S.S.C. stands for Super Spectral Coating. Early FD stuff like FX and FL and R, aren't multicoated. They're really old pieces, too, so unless you are totally broke I would avoid that stuff.

The second gen FD lenses are called "New FD", which is a somewhat different mount than regular FD :P
This name can be a pain when you are looking for lenses on ebay: is a lens a used New FD lens, or is it a never-used (a.k.a, new) FD mount lens?

Anyway the New FD lenses made by Canon aren't marked as "S.S.C." but almost all of them are multicoated.
Bill Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2005, 05:41 PM   #2
Major Player

Me and some other people here use an old Minolta F1.4 (MC rokkor PF), which is, because of the brand and the age, very cheap. But in fact, it gives a very good, bright an non distorted image and beautiful bokeh (just learned that word, so I'll use it as much as I can) You can see what I mean in this (not so good/grainy) frame: http://members.chello.nl/a.schultzev.../wax/eva14.jpg

I thought I'd mention it for the record.
Oscar Spierenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2005, 07:45 PM   #3
Major Player

Check the "gate" Oscar! By the looks of that picture, there is a hair in it! hehehe....
Dan Diaconu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2005, 06:02 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Using 2X Converters with adaptors

Has anyone used one of these to 'up' the ranges of their primes.. if so is it a good extra to have, or does the old issue of more glass less light/quality come into play.. i think i know the answer but if anyone has tried i'd be interested in knowing how your footage looked.

for instance an 85mm F1.8 with a 2X will give a 170mm range - will the speed of the 1.8 be affected? ie 170mm f1.8 ???
Quinn OConnell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods