Homebuilt jib - comments are welcome - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old January 5th, 2006, 09:47 PM   #16
Inner Circle

One other item you might consider is to make the arm bearing a tension load, (should be the upper one), adjustable for shorter length.

I made a 15ft crane a long time ago and incorporated adjustment to enable the rig to pull the camera upward a few degrees as it approached the ground so that upward tilt by the operator to stay on the shot is not needed or is reduced.

This arrangement only works from the crane being halfway up where the arms are in the level position. Any higher and the camera begins to tilt upward again off the shot. With careful rehearsal, that tendency can be helpful if the subject is approaching from about 50 metres and halts close to the camera.

The other difference with this rig was that I made the pivot centre of the main arm about 15mm higher than the end pivots, same for the upper arm. This conferred a self leveling tendency which can be adjusted high or low by adding small trim weights to the countermass bin.

This makes it easier for the crane operator to find a common start or end point over several takes as the crane automatically goes there.

Neither of these options are in commercial rigs as far as I know. There may be good reasons why from an engineering standpoint. It was a bit intimidating for the cameraman to have the seat and camera move forward at height. Closer to the ground it was okay.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2006, 03:03 AM   #17
Major Player

Gang,
Is anyone making something like this for commercial sales?
I will definitely be interested.
Eniola Akintoye is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods