what Lens mount and Lens ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old December 21st, 2005, 03:18 PM   #1
New Boot

what Lens mount and Lens ?

Hi, I've got a olympus OM1 f1.8 / 50mm I would like to use ,
But I can't find a lens mount for it . Anyone got an idea (or alternative) ?

Maybe I should buy a lens such as a canon / nikon that seems to have lots more possibilty to mount, I wish i could use the one I already have :( .
Pete LeChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2005, 07:02 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I don't know much about lens mounts, but I suggest you to buy a fast Canon or Nikon lens (or some other brand with not so strange mounts).
Carl Jakobsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2005, 07:36 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Adapters

There could be some kind of adapter rings availabe which could make the Olympus lenses go with Nikon or Canon mounts. At least there is a M42 (or Pentax) to Canon FD adapters available that correct the distance beetween the lens and GG. But I can't say for sure do these adapters excist for Olympus cameras as I don't even know what kind of mounts they have.
Mikko Parttimaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2005, 12:19 PM   #4
New Boot

Thanx for the suggestion !

Well I don't think I want to buy a new lens just now , I like my Olympus ;)
I found few adapters to mount OM lenses on EOS body that should do the trick no ?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

http://www.cameraquest.com/frames/4saleReos.htm

which one you think works best ? I wanted to go for the Cmount adapter (1st link) ....
Old December 22nd, 2005, 01:13 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Avoid the C Mount

Don't get the C Mount adapter. I was going to use a c mount adapter with my 35mm adapter and minolta lenses, but it does not work right. I just tested this the other night to be sure. C Mounts are designed for 16mm, Super 8mm, and CCTV cameras... all which use a smaller frame size then 35mm. The adapter would technically work with a c mount, but it's going to cut off some of the image area since the image size difference between even 35mm and 16mm is quite a bit. You're going to want to find an adapter that designed for use on a 35mm camera not something used for 16mm and smaller.

I wish i would have had this info a few months ago. It would have saved me the $30 some buck I spent to find out. Oh well, least I can now use my minoltas on my Beaulieu Super 8 cameras.
Keith Kline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2005, 01:21 PM   #6
New Boot

Hi Keith ,
If Iam not wrong you can unscrew the bottom part of the C-Mount so you only keep the Adapter ring ... It should solve your problem .

Let me know if that's possible !
Old December 22nd, 2005, 01:33 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Yeah I think on some of them you can unscrew the bottom. You'd have to check on that if you go with one of those. The one I have is basically one piece except for the minolta mount. Technically I could just take the mount itself off, but I already have several of those from junk minolta cameras. I've come up with a easier way for me to do it, so the mount will be alittle stedier. Just waiting on some parts to arrive.
Keith Kline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2005, 03:42 PM   #8
Trustee

That Olympus f1.8 really isn't anything so great that you should inconveniece yourself. You can get a Nikon f1.4 50mm for about $100 on ebay. F1.4 will allow more light in and give a more shallow depth of field if you so desire. I also think that Nikon lenses are considered better overall for things like vignetting and distortion.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2005, 06:05 PM   #9
New Boot

Marcus >
I know my lens is not anything special but it happens that I already have it , so I can save up a bit of $$$$ .
I think I am gonna buy the c mount and give it a go , I've seen on the picture that I can unscrew the mount ,... , and later upgrade to a faster lens such as a OM zuiko 1.2 or 1.4 , I think the 1.4 can be find for around 50 $ or less.

Thanks for all the feedbacks ;)

BTW what u guys are thinking of using a LEICA SUMMILUX - M 1.4/50 or other high quality lens .
will it be a good plus for the quality in the adapter ?
Old December 22nd, 2005, 06:07 PM   #10
New Boot

Keith > what system did you find out ?
Pete LeChuck is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods