I want to build a DOF adapter. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old December 25th, 2005, 11:36 PM   #1
New Boot

I want to build a DOF adapter.

Okay, so I've read thousands of threads about these things and I'm still not sure what would be best.

I have a Canon XL-1 and I can't decide if it would be better to just go ahead and buy an adapter or build one. I'm perfectly fine buying one, but building would so much more fun. So my question is this, for and XL-1 should I use..

Static Wax adapter
Letus 35
Sg35
Micro35
Indie35
the "home depot" adapter
I know alot of these have there ups and downs but I wanted to know what people were using with an xl1. Almost everything I've read has to do with the DVX 100. Which I am now considering buying. Anyway, any input would help.
Corey Aucutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2005, 12:15 AM   #2
Regular Crew

What id the "home depot" adapter?

XL1-s
Bogen 503 head
Sony wireless
Adobe Premiere 6.0
Matrox RT2500
Brian Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2005, 12:44 AM   #3
Regular Crew

if i had the cash...

if i could afford it i would buy a ferarri rather than build one....

this is mainly due to the fact that i like driving ferarris more that i enjoy building anything....

i vote buy....
Sarena Valilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2005, 01:10 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Redrock Build it Yourself kit

Like you, I thought do it yourself would be fun. I don't have any overriding need to have something like this at this moment, so it is more of a fun project than anything. For $45 they send you a pretty extensive set of instructions, with a ground glass.

I don't know if I'll ever get it done , but at least I have an idea what the project entails.

Chris Barcellos
Chris Barcellos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2005, 03:27 AM   #5
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Doyle
What id the "home depot" adapter?

http://home.comcast.net/~wauhkies/adapter/index.html
Old December 26th, 2005, 11:19 AM   #6
Regular Crew

My adapter is kind of like the home depot adapter as it used pvc, mine is different because It attaches differently and I also use a Nikon D screen but I wouldnt recommend a static adapter for an xl1, because on my Panasonic PV-gs150 there is slight grain, and I'd imagine there would be highly noticeable grain on the xl1.
Jeff Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2005, 02:24 PM   #7
New Boot

i'm really thinking about gettin the redrock micro. building would be more my thing as far as money. considering almost every other piece of equipment I use is either built or fudged in some way. I hear it's quite the pain in the ass though. has anyone used the DIY guide?
Old December 26th, 2005, 02:54 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Redrock

I have the DIY guide from Redrock. It's fairly simple for the most part if your somewhat handy with tools. I have quite a few tools that came in handy for working on mine and made it go quicker. You can do most of it with pretty simple tools although it would take longer that way. I'm about 2/3 done with mine, but mstly was waiting to have the extra cash to order the parts. The parts that are difficult have a work around on the Redrock DIY guide section on their boards, so over all there's only a few tough parts.
Keith Kline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2005, 02:57 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Aucutt
i'm really thinking about gettin the redrock micro. building would be more my thing as far as money. considering almost every other piece of equipment I use is either built or fudged in some way. I hear it's quite the pain in the ass though. has anyone used the DIY guide?
I used it, and it was fun to do but I bought a Letus. The Micro delivery time is just way to long, as is the G35. The Letus works well and works now...and now there is an image flip. I'm thinking about picking up the sg35 as well, the images i've seen look damn good and i'm all about the little man as i've made purchases with Redrock/Letus/and Dan. You really can't loose with any of these guys.
Greg Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2005, 03:15 PM   #10
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Bates
....as is the G35.

are you reffering to the Guerilla 35? Is it out?
Old December 26th, 2005, 05:17 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Aucutt
are you reffering to the Guerilla 35? Is it out?
No, but they were very smart in not putting a release date on the product
Greg Bates is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods