Dan Diaconu's MPIC 35mm Imager Review! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old December 30th, 2005, 02:11 AM   #1
Major Player

Dan Diaconu's MPIC 35mm Imager Review!

This week, Dan Diaconu's MPIC system arrived, and it rocks, big time. I'm happy to say it's similar to the U35A I made, but much better. It's a complete system for Nikon lenses, including rails, mount, gears and follow focus. Technology wise, it's a moving element design, with variable speed, and rechargeable battery. The whole system is masterfully crafted and I'm very impressed.

I've posted a page that I'll be updating with experiments on the DVX100 and then with the Panasonic HVX200 once it arrives, until I begin major projects.

If you have the dough, contact Dan. You won't be disappointed.

http://www.holyzoo.com/content/mpic/

-steev
Old December 30th, 2005, 03:53 AM   #2
Major Player

wow. that looks amazing.

it looks like it does well in low light. any comparison to the letus35 or cinemek?
A.J. Briones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2005, 08:25 AM   #3
Major Player

$8000 dollars! That's hardly within an indie budget film makers hands. I'd rather wait for the G35 which i think seems better.
Yasser Kassana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2005, 08:58 AM   #4
Trustee

http://www.holyzoo.com/content/mpic/...5A772911DA.jpg

Steev (Or Dan): what's that hole/plug on the side? I'm dyin' to know.

And yeah, $8,000 is a little steep. I'm sure Dan has some initial capital to recoup after developing/producing the MPIC, but still....from all the footage from the G35 team, it isn't that much better...certainly not 8x better...okay 7x (not even) counting rail mount and FF...
Old December 30th, 2005, 09:07 AM   #5
Major Player

Yasser,
If you read Steve's post on his site, he got it for $2000.00 from Dan. Must have worked out a deal.
Leo Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2005, 10:06 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I don't like it. Why? Because I don't have one. And because of that fact it overshadows the beauty of the design and awesome images Steeve is acquiring. When Dan has an introductory price you better introduce yourself because it is always a hell of a bargain.
Greg Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2005, 11:29 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Winter
http://www.holyzoo.com/content/mpic/...5A772911DA.jpgwhat's that hole/plug on the side? I'm dyin' to know.
That's for plugging in the charger for the rechargeable battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Mandy
Yasser, If you read Steve's post on his site, he got it for $2000.00 from Dan. Must have worked out a deal.
At this point, I compare the MPIC to having a car or guitar custom built by a designer/builder for you. I took advantage of the introductory price. I know the price that's presently posted by Dan, or even his introductory pricing would shake most of the DVinfo Alt Imaging tree, especially when there are people complaining about paying $500, or even $1000. I must say at this point, you get what you pay for, and after researching for a year and a half, building my own, researching all forums every single day, and waiting, and waiting, and looking at footage, and seeing a million varieties of DIY attempts and successes to a greater or lesser degree... That I feel I made the best choice for myself.

There will be lesser, greater, cheaper, more expensive gadgets. Buy one, buy two, buy them all, or wait and keep researching and saving, or endeavor to build one yourself. My post is to add to the information available to achieve what was not possible about 2 years ago, without VERY pricey rental or purchase.

It's a great time to be getting into this. If anyone has more questions or postive feedback, feel free to post, and I'll respond. I'll probabaly refrain from responding to any more negative comments, because it's too much energy to defend crap, and I'm not trying to sell anything to anyone.

Let the DV *info* flow.

Last edited by Steev Dinkins; December 31st, 2005 at 12:26 AM.
Steev Dinkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2005, 06:34 PM   #8
Major Player

Wow, Steve - you are right. IT is impressive. Those night shots are what sold me. I have been trying to get non-vignetting in low light situations for a long time and that is the best I have seen. $2000.00 is alot of money, but it is well spent with the looks of that!
Leo Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2005, 07:46 PM   #9
Regular Crew

There seems to be a lot of chromatic abberations, especially the blue, why is that?
Gev Babit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2005, 08:19 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gev Babit
There seems to be a lot of chromatic abberations, especially the blue, why is that?
Ask yourself, when you DO see abberations, is your audience going to give a shit?
Old December 30th, 2005, 08:19 PM   #11
Trustee

I concur. I see it all the time in movies. Blue is at the low end of the spectrum, it gets "aberrated" a lot.
Old December 30th, 2005, 08:50 PM   #12
Major Player

Thanks for the FB Steev and for the comments,
Sadly my site was blocked somehow. There are tons of links that do not work.
I have a few pictures (some of you may remember) where the camcorder takes a pic that looks WORSE than another one using the MPIC + a Nikkor 4/200 on it.
I also saw a pic today of a lens which has the same green blue effect on the lens itself (not of any picture).It looks like they all do that towards the edges and is getting worse with higher contrast images. Oh well, at least I have no optical involvement in all this. It is all between the lens in front (Nikkor? or else) and the lens behind (camcorder). Nothing else.
Dan Diaconu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2005, 01:20 AM   #13
Major Player

for $2k, i'm sold. unfortunately, $8k is a lot to swallow. looks great though. amazing craftmanship. any more night shots to show us?
A.J. Briones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2005, 06:32 AM   #14
Major Player

You're sold, dude for 2k i don't think it's worth it. I appreciate the engineering that might have gone into it, but i have yet to be convinced what's so good about as compared to other adapters.
Yasser Kassana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2005, 07:44 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasser Kassana
You're sold, dude for 2k i don't think it's worth it. I appreciate the engineering that might have gone into it, but i have yet to be convinced what's so good about as compared to other adapters.
Post again when you've made your decision and have something to show for it. ;)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods