can someone tell me how to remove the glass from a uv filter? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old January 20th, 2006, 05:17 PM   #1
Regular Crew

can someone tell me how to remove the glass from a uv filter?

just experimenting for fun... i found a tutorial a while ago but i seem to have lost it.. so i was wandering if anyone had any links to instructions no how to remove the glass from a uv filter?
Justin Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2006, 05:36 PM   #2
Trustee

Look for a small ring on the inside diameter of the filter. There should be two notches in it, on either side. Use a small flathead screwdriver to push really hard on one of the notches to unscrew it out of the filter. It takes a lot of effort though.
Old January 20th, 2006, 07:16 PM   #3
Major Player

dont try to push it out yourself..... :) im really stupid... but i chopped a small piece off the end of my finger this morning.. and a bunch of other painful cuts... owww
Old January 20th, 2006, 07:20 PM   #4
Regular Crew

o my god, ouch andrew....

I just did it... and ya as u said Ben, takes a lot of work...

my screw driver ended up digging a large bit out of the soft metal ofthe filter...

FYI.... i bought a cheap ASIAN brand filter with the other stuff i got... not recommended,,, the filter is at least 3-4mm---will use it as practise for grounding,,,,

have done a quick test and for the little work i put it. i am happy with the results of the 35mm adapter, it's nothing u would use for production, but it will help to practise shooting...

cheers guys...
Justin Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2006, 08:03 PM   #5
Major Player

i made my out of a metal can (pizza sauce) i call it the cheese&pepperoni35 ... using various target materials at different times (wax, baggies, gg) an awesome gear for my lenses from dan (makes it alot easier to focus) and since the cans a bit big in diameter i use the bublle wrap package that dan sent my gear in to fill up the space so everything in the can is snug. its a ghetto adapter.. and it still smells like pizza sauce. i had a really cool effect once when i first started using wax.. it cracked quite a bit because i didnt know how to do it.. but the results were really cool looking.. like cracked glass nostalgic-like. the baggies i find arent diffusing the light enough.. i might have to find a way to double up and still look clean. the light from the lens is creating a REALLY hot spot.. keep trying
Old January 21st, 2006, 05:45 PM   #6
Major Player

Have you tried a condenser lens for the hotspot. It's like the pizza without tomatoes if you don't use a condenser (or a Fresnel, but wouldn't recommend it). Search -condenser- on this board and you'll find more than you'll be able to read.
Oscar Spierenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2006, 06:35 PM   #7
Trustee

Ha--I just tried to remove glass from a filter and punctured my thumb which is now bleeding profusely.
Old January 21st, 2006, 09:16 PM   #8
Major Player

An easy way to remove glass from filters is to insert something very thin like small screwdriver, or, if you are careful, a knife, between the filter ring and the retaining ring. Twist the tool and work it in until you can simply twist it and lift up, destroying the ring and removing it very easily. Then pop the glass out. Don't hold your palm, or the tool, in such a way that it could slip and you could gouge yourself like Ben or our Canadian Naval Communicator! :X

Oscar,

I thought pizza had no tomato sauce in some countries in Europe!
Bill Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2006, 10:26 PM   #9
Regular Crew

man i'm just gonna count my self lucky....the retaining ring on the 'asian' brand was quite thick and so it's harder to do as u said Bill...

with an astron skylight filter it worked with the twist method...

can't wait to get the stepdown rings to test on the actual camera....

would love to see if i can somehow get it to move with the same form factor...

had this though...have a small spinning motor attached to a slightly uneven circle, very slightly, place a small hole where GG sits so u can see the GG in the tube... now line up the motor so the uneven glass is touch the GG, turn the motor on and the uneveness should get the GG to move.. just need to to figure a way to ensure no movement in the Z axis....

anyway, just a thought, not sure if ill even try, but thought someone might think it an ok idea....
Justin Tran is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods