Specific brand name lens? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old January 30th, 2006, 11:06 AM   #1
Major Player

Specific brand name lens?

Hi, I know that this could probably be found through a search, but I was wondering if there was a specific lens or set of lenses that would be ideal for 35mm adapters. I would have thought that had there been such a list, it would be posted as a sticky, but I guess not. For many of the people using 35mm adapters, they usually have old 35mm camera lenses from way back in the day to use on their adapters, however, my family apparently wasn't into pro photography and just used disposables all the time! =)

So, what lens would I want to get should I ever get a 35mm adapter? I'm talking brand name and model # here, not the "get a 50mm lens" or "get a 1.4 lens", I mean if I go onto B&H Photo's website, what lens do they have that I can use? Link?

I think that a list of lenses would be useful for this topic. But, since I don't have a 35mm adapter, I wouldn't know what to use. It would be nice if the list included all the brands that could be used for an adapter (ie. Canon, Nikon, Minolta, Olympus, ect.).
Old January 30th, 2006, 12:54 PM   #2
Major Player

I think most people will suggest various 35mm still lenses, but before that happens I'm going to say that I'm personally going to use a used 35mm Angenieux cine lens (from eBay, perhaps)... I haven't finished my adapter yet, but I hope to find a lens like that for around $1500. I mean, if we're obsessed enough about quality to buy or build a mini35, why not use the right kind of lens on it? Especially if there's money being saved going with a homebrew mini35 as opposed to the P+S Technik, or one of those.

I know I did exactly what you asked not to do (no link or model #)... but it's my 2 cents ;)

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams" -Arthur O'Shaunessey (as quoted by Willy Wonka)
Justine Haupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2006, 04:37 PM   #3
Trustee

Jack,

Most adapters must be ordered with one specific lens mount. There are choices when ordering, so choose a lens mount for the lenses you want to use. This is what determines what lenses to use. It may seem like a paradox, but you must make the choice. Once you have decided on a mount, buy lenses appropriate for this, and buy the best you can afford. This usually means lenses with the lowest f-number. For instance, if you get an adapter with a nikon mount, start with a Nikon f1:1.4 lens. There is an f1:1.2 lens, but it is double the cost. Next, you will probably want a wide-angle lens, so your next choice would probably be a 28mm or 24mm lens with f1:2 or f1:2.8. The former is twice the cost of the latter. Next, you probably want a short telephoto lens like an 85mm or 105mm. There are zoom lenses that vary from wide to telephoto, but they are much higher f-number lenses (such as f1:4) and they can be quite heavy. There really is no other way to go about the process. You must decide which adapter and lens combination to buy depending on your shooting style and budget.

Marcus

P.S. Here is a link for the 50mm f1:1.4 lens at B&H:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods