New SG35 DVX Grabs - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old February 13th, 2006, 06:26 PM   #16
Trustee

Thanks Daniel. Are you saying that the camera and the unit aren't threaded together, they just sit against each other? Just curious.

Once you've got the things calibrated OK, would you think that steady cam shots, or handheld stuff would be an issue, or once it's lined up can you give it a reasonable amount of movement safely?

I'll probably throw more questions your way as I discover things I need to ask.

Thanks
Aaron
Old February 14th, 2006, 05:28 AM   #17
Major Player

Aaron,
Yes the reason for this design was so that the user could fine adjust the centre of the 35mm frame to the centre of the LCD. However in practise, as Dan has found out, this can be a little unpractical. I have changed this and shipped of 2 units with a firm connection between the camcorder and the SG.

Also, the use of shims will be used very soon to adjust the camcorders height.
Old February 16th, 2006, 05:28 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Ok here's some full res grabs. Just pulled them off my timeline with 85% jpeg quality.

http://www.mediafree.co.uk/major/fullres1.jpg
http://www.mediafree.co.uk/major/fullres2.jpg
http://www.mediafree.co.uk/major/fullres3.jpg
http://www.mediafree.co.uk/major/fullres4.jpg

As you can see the side of the adapter is in shot in almost all of these.. We were monitoring the footage in overscan which was a bit of a blunder. Wayne's new sliding plate mechanism will help you setup the cam properly and hopefully keep it in position. Enlarging the clips by 5% gets rid of the edge. No CC has been done on any of the grabs you've seen. I'll be doing that last after I've dabbled with shake to replace most of the overcast skies.

The images look sharper on my tv for some reason. Maybe its something to do with resolution. My unit doesnt like 'run and gunning' but with updates to the mount I cant wait to be a bit rougher with this baby. I used a fair amount of tracking which was never a problem.

Video coming soon...
Daniel Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2006, 07:40 AM   #19
Major Player

Wayne, why don't you just make the camera mount on your rods height adjustable? No shims that way, and no hassles from other camera makes. The trick then is to make sure your frame is precisely centered in the adapter....but I'm guessing you're quite aware of that.

Dan, I responded to your thread over at dvxuser. Nice grabs..but you need to do some glass cleaning.
Dennis Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2006, 07:55 AM   #20
Major Player

Dennis, what part do you mean to be adjustable? Dans unit has 4 bolts under the cam plate, to allow the cam to be raised or lowered. Please let me know more about your method.

EDIT: Im guessing your going from the old picture on my webpage, with the vertical rods to adjust the adapter height. This is an old system and now the camera mount adjusts in height. Is this what you meant, Dennis?
Old February 16th, 2006, 01:01 PM   #21
Major Player

Yes, I was going by the web pics. Having the camera height adjustable is a good thing. Are the shims just to allow some vertical adjustment of the 35mm frame...by changing the cam/adapter angular relationship?

I assumed everybody was mounting using .75mm filter threads, but it sounds like you've moved to that method now too.
Dennis Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2006, 01:15 PM   #22
Major Player

Dennis,
The shims replace the 4 bolts, and do the same job as the bolts (adjust the cams height) but its a little more solid and looks better. I have been told its the system the M2 uses.
Old February 19th, 2006, 05:10 PM   #23
Regular Crew

SG35 video posted here.. http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=46013&page=5
Daniel Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2006, 06:03 PM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Morgan
No CC has been done on any of the grabs you've seen.

Very nice work! What camera settings did you use to end up with this look?
Bill Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2006, 06:45 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Nice work Daniel. Apart from the footage, that's quite a filmic looking kid you've got there.
Steve Madsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2006, 10:03 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Quote:
The main issues were practicalities - It took longer to setup each shot with the gg needing to be re-focused after most moves.
I'm sorry, im having a littel bit of trouble comprehending this sentence. Do you mean that you have to readjust the GG with every camera move or do you have to refocus the relay lens to the GG with every move. could you please elaborate?

]:-( --->

http://geocities.com/anarchist_lb
Jon Laing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2006, 11:13 PM   #27
Major Player

this might be a dumb question, but why are dust and stratches showing up in the frames. doesnt the SG35 spin. just wondering why those grabs show some dirt. THat is some good lookin footage by the way. very film-like.
Forrest Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2006, 04:40 AM   #28
Major Player

Hello,
Basically, Dans unit did not have a sliding plate, so the dvx would shift slightly from time to time. The sliding plate is a standard item on all new units.

As for the dirt, the ground glass is spinning, however the condenser lens is not, and some dirt has crept in onto that lens. The lens can be removed easily and cleaned.
Old February 27th, 2006, 08:25 AM   #29
Major Player

ah. i see it now. thanks Wayne, and good work Daniel.
Forrest Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2006, 02:23 AM   #30
Trustee

Gonna bump this thread again if you don't mind. Does anyone have any full res footage at high quality (Even only a few seconds) that I could download (I can give you an ftp location if you need it) I'd like to see what the adapter produces but on some non web compressed footage.

Cheers
Aaron

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods