XL2 EVF Image Flipper! My wacky brain? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old February 14th, 2006, 03:45 PM   #1
Major Player

XL2 EVF Image Flipper! My wacky brain?

Hello,

I am an XL2/Soon-to-be M2 user and have been trying to get my head around this upsidedown image thingee...

So, I figure my options are either

1: Depend on an External LCD (5", 7" with a flip button) either way, not having accurate focus or colour representation.

2: Flip the EVF to the right hand side, so image is right-side up, but not be able to hand-hold or really "See" the LCD very well.

3: Purchase a second Canon EVF and manuallr rotate the LCD screen within it's housing so I have two EVF's, one upside down, one rightside up...

However, my mind has been thinking... (as opposed to my feet?)
Would it be possible to build some prism system (or dislodge one from an SLR) that would fit into the XL2 EVF and flip the image 180 degrees? I know they make detachable VF's for medium format cameras, but those only really reverse the image side-to-side (ever shot with a MF from the hip? You'll know what I mean).

I am not an engineer, and don't even know that much about traditional photography, but I think this could work. Anyone tried? It doesn't matter about light loss because the image is registering on the CCD's without a prism infront of it. I don't mind a darker EVF in exchange for the ability to Hand Hold.

Thoughts?
Matthew Nayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2006, 08:13 AM   #2
Major Player

No one? Alright then...
Old February 15th, 2006, 12:05 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I don’t know how the Canon’s work, but here is what will be my cheap, low cost solution with my Panasonic GS400 (not done yet).

The GS400 and apparently the other Pannys up to the HVX200 have a SELF REC or SELF SHOOT feature. This allows you, when you rotate the LCD 180° (for example when you record yourself), to change the image right-left orientation. So now you get an upside down image, but with the correct right-left orientation.

Wit this feature, using two good quality (front surface) mirrors placed at the right angles, you can get a correctly displayed image.

Here is a little test I did yesterday with two standard mirrors. Please note that there is obvious ghosting, due to using standard mirrors. Also, I had forgotten to turn on the adapter.

Cheap 2 mirror solution with Panasonic cams
Old February 15th, 2006, 12:51 PM   #4
Major Player

Now this is getting interesting. I was going to mention using a mirror, but didn't think it would be of interest.

Currently I am using 1 mirror to correct the vertical direction. But I didn't try two mirrors.

http://web.mac.com/holyzoo1/iWeb/Sit...s/IMG_4351.jpg

I purchased an optical grade mirror from Thorlabs that has no ghosting. Very nice. :)

Let me know if you're interested in knowing what where how much etc.

NOTE: The mirror in the photo is the old cheap mirror, not the Thorlabs one.
Old February 15th, 2006, 12:59 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Steev, thanks for the offer. I’m waiting for a quote from a company for 3"x3" front surface mirrors, but they have not replied yet. I have seen some 4"x5" mirrors for $15.

I’m thinking of arranging them in "Hoodman" type material. I still have to test different mirror positions.

The only problem with this solution is that the angle for a full view will be somewhat limited, since the LCD has to be completely rotated.
Old February 15th, 2006, 01:06 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois Poitras
The only problem with this solution is that the angle for a full view will be somewhat limited, since the LCD has to be completely rotated.
Yes, agreed. Right now, for me, I think it's close enough to just use 1 mirror to correct vertical perspective, since this is really just for run and gun situations. For more controlled shoots, I'd have my Marshall LCD monitor to achieve proper orientation AND superior resolution compared to the stock camera LCD.

But I gotta try your two mirror idea.
Old February 15th, 2006, 01:55 PM   #7
Major Player

The XL2 EVF does not flip all the way around, so the image never rotates. Anyone know of a prism system that does a rotation?

That's an interesting set up tho
Old February 15th, 2006, 02:01 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Nayman
The XL2 EVF does not flip all the way around, so the image never rotates.
If you don't find a better solution, I recommend #2 - flipping the viewfinder to the other side. I shot a number of run and gun shorts this way with my adapter when I had the XL2. It's ergonomically challenging for sure, but it works.
Old February 15th, 2006, 03:46 PM   #9
Major Player

How do you manage to get your eye close enough to the EVF? Is my head jsut too fat?
Old February 15th, 2006, 03:54 PM   #10
Major Player

I was thinking, couldyou stick two dove prisms together? One to rotate the image vertically and one to rotate it horizontally? Might work?
Old February 15th, 2006, 03:59 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Is my head jsut too fat?
Now I would hope that's not the case. :)

Quote:
How do you manage to get your eye close enough to the EVF?
For me I had to hold the camera with my left hand from the top handle, shift the camera to my left side, and put my eye really close to the bare LCD (the eyepiece flipped up and out of the way). My eyes are still workin pretty well, so I could gauge focus pretty well. So most of my shots end up being slightly low in perspective, looking slightly up towards people. So, it's not perfect, but it works for run and gun.
Old February 15th, 2006, 08:40 PM   #12
Major Player

OH, I thought you meant with the eyepiece down. Was thinking you got a narrow head!
Old February 15th, 2006, 08:42 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
OH, I thought you meant with the eyepiece down. Was thinking you got a narrow head!
Heh heh.. No, no. I never used that eyepiece down - it's horrible. The LCD was the only way I could tell if I was in focus or not.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods