medium format ground glass?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old February 28th, 2006, 11:48 PM   #1
Major Player

medium format ground glass??

http://www.intenscreen.com/products_...mat_mamiya.htm

are these medium format gg too heavy or large for the letus. i would like something bigger in mine .. and i found one cheap. thanks
Old March 1st, 2006, 05:16 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I don't know if they fit Letus, but I got one Mamiya Beattie relatively cheap on eBay. The pciture was fantastic, but all hairy and grainy. So it's not a good solution for a static adapter. I've wanted to build a Letus-type adapter myself for the Beattie, so I'm a bit interested too. I haven't touched a D screen so I don't know anything about weight differences. I think the Beattie is so light that it feels like it doesn't weigh anything. The problem I can see using one in the Letus, would be its size.
Old March 1st, 2006, 06:40 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Andrew, you should write to Reflexite to get the dimensions.

Many medium format Beattie are two part, the screen itself and the Fresnel. Some of them come with a metal frame, which appears to be the case of the 83340.

The Beattie Intenscreen I have is the one for the Contax RTS II (35mm format). It is pretty light. When I ordered it, I was sent a medium format Intenscreen for a Bronica model. It was two part, but with no frame. I think it would have been too heavy for my vibrating adapter (made after the Letus design).
Old March 1st, 2006, 08:49 PM   #4
Major Player

56mm by 41mm are its dimensions
Old April 2nd, 2006, 11:12 AM   #5
Regular Crew

beattie screen

I am using a beattie screen on my unit (static) and if the lens is used between 5.6 and 2.8 wide open I have no problems with grain. The beattie is perfect for the adapters, but you have to pay 180.00 for one, and if your image is hairy it simply means that the groundglass is scratched or dirty, mine is perfect. I bought it new. the vibrators have to be a bit larger then the standard beeper or cell phone vibrator, because of the weight of the groundglass. I am using Mamiya 645 lenses on my unit. I will be posting some shots of the adapter, you can see them on the dvxuser site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Jakobsson
I don't know if they fit Letus, but I got one Mamiya Beattie relatively cheap on eBay. The pciture was fantastic, but all hairy and grainy. So it's not a good solution for a static adapter. I've wanted to build a Letus-type adapter myself for the Beattie, so I'm a bit interested too. I haven't touched a D screen so I don't know anything about weight differences. I think the Beattie is so light that it feels like it doesn't weigh anything. The problem I can see using one in the Letus, would be its size.
Winston Vargas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2006, 11:18 AM   #6
Regular Crew

beattie

I am using a medium format groundglass with the frenel lens and it's too heavy for the small vibrator so the solution is 2 vibrators. I am also using medium format lenses (Mamiya) I was going to use Hasselblad lenses but the focus ring is too tight on them. I hope to go into production of these units shorthly. Will post pictures in the very near future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois Poitras
Andrew, you should write to Reflexite to get the dimensions.

Many medium format Beattie are two part, the screen itself and the Fresnel. Some of them come with a metal frame, which appears to be the case of the 83340.

The Beattie Intenscreen I have is the one for the Contax RTS II (35mm format). It is pretty light. When I ordered it, I was sent a medium format Intenscreen for a Bronica model. It was two part, but with no frame. I think it would have been too heavy for my vibrating adapter (made after the Letus design).
Old April 2nd, 2006, 11:24 AM   #7
Regular Crew

groundglass

The bigger groundglass is not going to do anything for you if you use 35mm lenses. The 35mm lenses are made to cover a 24x36mm area, in order to get the quality of the larger groundglass you have to use medium format lenses that are made to cover a larger area. I am using lenses made to cover 1 5/8x 2 1/4 inches. The bigger the grounglass the better the picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Todd
http://www.intenscreen.com/products_...mat_mamiya.htm

are these medium format gg too heavy or large for the letus. i would like something bigger in mine .. and i found one cheap. thanks
Old April 2nd, 2006, 11:28 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Interesting, Winston. Are you using disk motors, like the Letus? I would have thought using a heavier GG (and two motors) would send a lot of vibration to the unit and camera.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods