DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   Guskers 35 - 2nd Gen. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/61877-guskers-35-2nd-gen.html)

Dennis Wood March 5th, 2006 10:17 PM

Fresh footage from the adapter:

Fast link
Slower Link

Andrew Todd March 5th, 2006 10:26 PM

nice stuff dennis

Moises Crespo March 6th, 2006 12:25 AM

Love it! Sign me up...

Wayne Kinney March 6th, 2006 02:40 AM

Nice footage Dennis.

Have you tested your unit with a bigger cam, like dvx100 or fx-1?

Dennis Wood March 6th, 2006 07:08 AM

No Wayne. However based on existing adapters and known issues, I already have a pretty good idea what will work and what won't. From what I can ascertain, the DVX's will likely require a macro. I do have access to an XL1s and an XL2, so these cams will be tested by me personally. If the XL2 info (2cm focus distance w/wide macro) they may just be OK.

Fortunately, there are a number of folks stepping up to the plate with a number of different cams, so I should have a handle on most cams in short order.

The reality of my design is that the GG will be at minimum 55mm from the camera mount...so the only issue is macro, or no macro.

Yasser Kassana March 6th, 2006 07:10 AM

Must say I do like the footage. Very crisp, very nice. But I agree with wayne, you won't know you have a good product until you test with fx1 or dvx100, they have problems of their own...

Dennis Wood March 6th, 2006 07:47 AM

Yasser, I may be oversimplifying here, but I see the isse as this:

Can the camera focus on a 24x36 frame at 55mm from the lens? If yes, it will work out of the box. If no, a macro will be required (or an extension tube). Either way, I'll feel much better once I know exactly the macro specs, if required, for each camera.

The reality of this gig is that unless I was making millions (ha) I could not possibly afford to own each of the cams out there. There's that all important balance of building a great, but affordable adapter. As it is, my investment in the adapter project is getting a bit scary.

Dennis Wood March 7th, 2006 10:10 PM

I finished up a simple, but strong rail setup for the new adapter. Here's a pic. Yasser, got your email...stay tuned for the site intro, there'll be a pre-order for testing.

Andy Gordon March 7th, 2006 11:17 PM

I have a question Dennis - how high can you take the camcorder shutter speed before you see grain? With my adapter anything over 1/50 starts to show grain especially around the edges of bright out of focus areas, the buzzing you mentioned on another thread. Basically I can't go over 1/50 which is quite a limitation for me.

Dennis Wood March 7th, 2006 11:56 PM

I haven't properly tested this on a monitor, but I've been cranking shutter to 1/2000s to be able to properly visualize GG movement. To set backfocus, I've been using F/8 inside, (higher outside)on the 35mm lens to make the grain evident. So far based on what I've seen, I'd say 1/250s is the upper limit.

Dennis Wood March 8th, 2006 12:31 PM

I've opened up pre-order for an initial run of 10 units at $540/unit. That price will include a smart charger for the internal battery pack. Expected delivery time is 4 weeks. As of 1 hour of making the announcement, half are confirmed with a deposit. If you're interested, please drop me an email. From the looks of things, the initial batch will be spoken for by day's end.

I'll have a site up in my webspace this week with more info and ongoing progress reports...thanks.

Dennis Wood March 8th, 2006 09:02 PM

I've added a few spots, but the beta program is full. Thanks guys.

Edit: correction, after all the dust has settled, there's 2 spots left...

Dennis Wood March 10th, 2006 07:58 PM

Here are a few pics taken with the Brevis35 attached in still mode. The GS400 is nothing spectacular in still mode, but these should give an idea of what to expect with HD cams. Advertised at 4MB, the real resolution of the cam's stills is more like 2MB. These are straight from the camera, although I've cropped the vignette out. The camera can zoom a fair bit more in record mode than it can in still mode. The lens is a 50mm f1.4 set at about f4 to deepen the DOF a bit.

Pic1
Pic2
Pic3

Yasser Kassana March 11th, 2006 09:43 AM

Those are some clean pics! But remember speaking from experience I would test out with the dvx100 and fx1 asap. You will have problems, tons of them I garuntee it.

Andrew Todd March 11th, 2006 09:59 AM

ill test it if you need an xl1s from New brunswick. Im getting the letus35xl when it comes out and it owuld be cool to compare yours, the relay, and the regular letus35a.