Which lens mount works better? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old March 7th, 2006, 04:17 PM   #16
Major Player

Ah, cool! I skimmed the auction and saw "reverser" and thought it was one. This should make it super easy for you. I'm jealous, I had to make mine!
Bill Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2006, 04:55 PM   #17
Major Player

You had to make yours? Wow! I can't even imagine approaching that sort of task. How did you do it? I'm assuming you had it machined. What a difficult task. Do you have any pictures of your set up? I'd be interested to see how you did it.

On a sort of "cost analysis" front, I have totaled up the preliminary cost of the parts for my two adapter variations. They are both very similar in design and use most of the same components. The prices below include shipping costs for internet orders. Here's the breakdown so far.

Macro Tube - $25
Focusing screen - $37
Macro lenses - $33
Step down ring - $15

Total Cost - $110

55mm spacer tube - $10.50
Nikon BR-3 lens mount - $35*
Coupler for lens mount - $12
Focusing screen - $37
Macro lenses - $33
Step down ring $15

Total Cost - $142.50

*this is based on ordering the BR-3 from B&H. If you can find it cheaper on eBay you'd drastically reduce the cost of this variation.

As you can see, the "Macro Tube" design requires fewer parts and would generally come in at a lower cost. These prices are all fixed and are from internet retailers. I'm sure there is some wiggle room based on what deals you could scrounge on eBay or elsewhere. Anyway, I just wanted to give an idea of what I'm looking at costwise on my design. Obviously I want to keep my costs low (and quality high) but I think it would be cool if this was something that others could benefit from. So, that's my latest rambling.
Mike Oveson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2006, 05:20 PM   #18
Major Player

Mike,
I love to see people sharing their experiences and knowledge on this forum. 1 thing i have seen left out, is a condenser lens or PCX lens to avoid hotspot/vignetting. Checkout surplusshed.com or anchor optics for this.
Old March 7th, 2006, 05:30 PM   #19
Major Player

I love to see the cooperation too. It's just amazing the help you can get from people across the world or down the street on this place. =)

Thanks for the recommendation on the condenser. I agree that it's an important component to get the best quality image. The focusing screen I am attempting to use (a Nikon B III BrightView screen) has a built in condenser. As far as I can tell this particular Nikon screen hasn't been tested yet. Several people over on DVXuser.com have been going through a bunch of different screens to find out what is best. The D screen is highly coveted and difficult to obtain. There was hope for some Canon screens but we just found out they have a focusing circle in the middle. I'm waiting on the BIII to arrive (it's on backorder). If this proves to be a viable screen I think it will be a more available alternative than the D. It's not easy to find, but it seems to be available a little more frequently than the D screen. I have another thread going on here about it so I'll be posting up results when I have them. For all of the time I have spent here asking questions and requesting advice I wish I had something to show everyone. I'm sure I will in time. Thank you all for the support so far. This has been an excellent resource.
Mike Oveson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2006, 05:47 PM   #20
Major Player

Mike,
Just a tip, go straight for the moving GG route. Trying to find the perfect static glass is insane. I can tell you know, that for under £10, you can have yourself a nice moving GG material and mechanism.
Old March 7th, 2006, 08:09 PM   #21
Major Player

Mike,

My background overlaps with machining and machine shops so making stuff is easy for me, since I usually know someone or a neighbor with a lathe or a mill that I can either use... or bribe them into doing it for me!

Here is a pic of how I did one of my adapters without machining, though:

http://img162.imageshack.us/img162/7...c03353m2dy.jpg

That's two-part epoxy, and happens to be "JB Weld" brand." When people hear "JB Weld" they usually think "sloppy work" but that's not necessarily the case. The reason so much sloppy work is done with it is that the people who are too lazy or cheap to do things right, often try to use it as a shortcut.

I built a little mask or dam out of Scotch tape around the adapter and let the JB weld take harden before removing the tape. That is why it's not splattered all over the place as if I were frosting a cake. And that picture is twice as large as life, which magnifies any flaws.
Bill Porter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods