Redrock Micro M2 or Cinemek G35 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old March 26th, 2006, 01:37 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Redrock Micro M2 or Cinemek G35

hello!

From what I could realize Redrock Micro M2 and Cinemek G35 are the most serious choices in range up to 1000$.
which one should i take, anyone has better ideas?
anyone knows what is going on with guerillla35?

thanks!!!
Old March 26th, 2006, 11:08 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Brother you have a plethora of options all of equal quality, use the search button. These things are like coffee, everyone has their favorite flavors; SG35 mocha latte, Letus35 flip frappuchino, Redrock Chai etc.
Greg Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2006, 01:37 AM   #3
Trustee

mmm, I want a chai now...Off to make one ;)
Old March 27th, 2006, 07:41 AM   #4
Major Player

Id like a Letus35 flip frappuchino with a flavour shot of xl.
Old March 27th, 2006, 10:56 AM   #5
New Boot

Does every 35mm adapter need time to tune-up at every shoot ? read somewhere that M2 need to be check at every shoot. Seems very time consumming... i want to go fast !
Etienne Caron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2006, 12:57 PM   #6
Major Player

I havent had to mess with my letus flip much - I know my settings for the camera, check the batteries and the monitor and pretty much good to go.
Jeremy Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2006, 01:24 PM   #7
Trustee

I agree Jeremy--my Letus requires very little, if any, maintenence and adjustment. It's basically attach, zoom in, hit the vibration motor switch and go.
Old March 27th, 2006, 02:38 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Étienne, if you’re not in a hurry to get an adapter, you might want to check the Brevis35, which will be out shortly, probably in a few weeks. That one should be low maintenance too.
Old March 27th, 2006, 04:22 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etienne Caron
Does every 35mm adapter need time to tune-up at every shoot ? read somewhere that M2 need to be check at every shoot. Seems very time consumming... i want to go fast !
What you have to do with all of these is make sure you have no dust or particles on any of the glass, etc., and have your zoom and focus set correctly. Beyond that, you can go as fast as you can put on the right 35mm lens and focus. Be ready for the whole 35mm thing to put more difficulty into the entire production process though.
Old March 27th, 2006, 05:13 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Hey guys,
Regarding the dust issue.

Many of the footage samples from the Letus adapters appear to have specks of dust, even on the new samples from the Letus35xl. I really like the idea of the XL version with the relay, but I am concerned about the housing unit not being sealed well. To Ben and Jeremy, I know you don't have the XL unit, but have you found that your Letus versions are difficult to keep clean????

On the samples from the RedRock site and Cinemek, I haven't noticed the specks. Maybe, it is an issue of those units being sealed more tightly???? I know the individual user has a role in the maintenance of the unit, but any insight from owners would be helpful.
Old March 27th, 2006, 05:59 PM   #11
Trustee

Well the choice would seem obvious because, well, Redrock's one actually exists and is proven.
Old March 27th, 2006, 11:17 PM   #12
Major Player

Dobar dan Haris. My roots are in Pitomaca :-)

A few of the design goals for the Brevis were based on reports from different adapter owners regarding setup, and internal dust. I've also seen quite a few examples of footage coming from adapters that showed visible dust/particles etc. This is obviously up to the user to make sure everything is clean, but that should be limited to external cleaning IMO.

The Brevis will need one adjustment when first using it. That adjustment is to align the unit so that once screwed onto your filter threads securely, it will be upright, with the frame aligned. Once the adjustment ring is set, it won't be touched again on that camera. I believe the Letus is pretty similar in that respect.

The Brevis is sealed at both ends. Aside from the DC charge jack, it will be watertight, and completely dust sealed. Given the charge port issue, I guess you would call it splash proof, as a small amount of water there would not leak through.

From a recent report on M2 use from dvxuser.com (in the DIY section), it is clearly not a simple issue to attach the unit, and rails are mandatory. I would strongly suggest reading that report as it reflects real world use of the unit. It does not screw onto the filter threads (and given it's size/weight, that's probably a good thing).

To my mind, where possible, attaching to filter threads is a good idea, even when rails are required, to maintain optical alignment. This may not be an issue with a static shot on a tripod..but what if you're shooting from a moving platform/inside a car etc.? MPIC and Letus both attach via threads, and that's a good thing. I'm using a carbon fibre chassis combined with CNC aluminum parts to keep the weight/stiffness factor optimal, and to allow use without rails if required. If the GG is not centered properly during manufacture...clearly fastening this way is not the best idea.

Last edited by Dennis Wood; March 28th, 2006 at 08:49 AM.
Dennis Wood is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods