Another DIY adapter footage - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old October 1st, 2006, 09:28 AM   #61
Trustee

I agree on the footage, sharp with excellent colours. I wish I could find a projector like that here in North America because those must be great lenses? Mine look like that, but your shots don't have barrelling or fuzziness around the edges that mine do...

Anyone find projector like Ettore found? It must be a good one with the right lenses.

Ettore :
How are you holding the achromat in place? Also, what is the spacing like for the PCX - it is hard to tell from the photo...?

Last edited by David Delaney; October 1st, 2006 at 02:15 PM.
David Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2006, 01:26 PM   #62
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Hool
Ettore, outstanding! How big image plane You are using?
Frank, thank you, I don't know, just zoom on the gg image trying to avoid the vignetting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasser Kassana
Ettore, that is the best footage from a DIY adapter I have ever seen. I mean in my eyes the G35 is the best around. Period. But your footage has just beaten it.
I think all you guys out there who are making adapters(sgpro, brevis etc, )takes some notes and tips so you can deliver us a picture quality of this magnitude!
Well done. I'd even buy one from you Ettore.
Yasser, lol, thank you! but I don't want to sell these things, all I know
about these dof machines I learned here.
I use this $ 50 SLR lens and
$ 20 achromat from this italianEBAY SELLER
He does whatever you want, you can send him a email and ask what focal what dia you need etc.
"Objective diameter 51mm Focal 180mm, with optimal mc treatment..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toenis Liivamaegi
...I wonder if there`s some sharpening applied in post?...
Sure! I said about the editing in my first message, but just a little, normal image enhancement.
gain, curves, gamma and sharpen. But I can assert to you that the Dv footages are pretty good,
clear almost as normal shoots, its not a heavy 'make up', the informations must be there in the
files, you couldn't do much in post if they're not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juro Stehlik
Ettore, am i understanding right from your images, that you are using +7 achromat and +10 macro simultaneously?
Yes, my Canon XM2 can't focus well without a strong close-up optical assemblage, maybe i need a single acromat
with a stronger focal lenght.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Hibner
2 questions. 1). Why no more Nivea? I thought it was a big part of your design. 2). You put "Sandblasted ?" Did you just put a 320 grit sand paper and sand it down yourself?
1-as you can see on my new footages the cream doesn't changes the image quality, you can do the same with a 320 grit sandpaper.

2- no, sorry, my english is so... :), sandpaper and my only hands.
i don't know where you are from, i don't know if there is a grit standard for each country, here in Italy 320 is fine and you must work over the gg very well, patiently, when you think it's good, it's not! continue...wash it evenly and continue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Delaney
I agree on the footage, sharp with excellent colours. I wish I could find a projector like that here in North America because those must be great lenses? Mine look like that, but your shots don't have barrelling or fuzziness around the edges that mine do...
Anyone find projector like Ettore found? It must be a good one with the right lenses.
Ettore : How are you holding the achromat in place? Also, what is the spacing like for the PCX - it is hard to tell from the photo...?
David, now i'm using that achromatic lens i bought on Ebay for about $ 20 (see links above), it's good, no chroma aberration, as i said up there the seller is a very kind person and he does whatever you want with good prices by email.

Please take a look, is the same adapter, smaller, made inside a pvc round box, here are the Pics
and this is a Video testing it

regards
Ettore Giraldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2006, 02:03 PM   #63
Trustee

Ettore, from the pictures I see a wire going from your XM2 to the adapter...seems like from the flash/hotshoe to the adapter...what is that? power? Yet I see a battery pack...
Old November 3rd, 2006, 07:11 PM   #64
Major Player

Wow, that footage looked great!
Sam Jankis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2007, 04:21 PM   #65
New Boot

Ok, I know, for me it's just a joke....i like to shoot my sons growing up,
i think most of us here like to share results, no matter if happens with a comercial or a home made device, like mine.

I'll delet from my server all that videos linked above and put them togheter in THIS page,
in .flv format, more easy to update with a video playlist.
Take a look, there's some new little clips.

Thank you guys!
Old February 14th, 2007, 07:46 AM   #66
Trustee

Ettore, your adapter is simply amazing. I agree with Yas, it is head to head with the best (IMHO the G35). I sent you an e-mail with some questions about it. I would really appreciate if you could get back to me.
Rafael Lopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2007, 06:03 AM   #67
Trustee

I went to check out the original manufacturer's website (www.wdr35.com) and I downloaded all the videos, but none held a candle compared to what Ettore's alternated version showed us here. Ettore, YOU should be working with the manufactures! Your results (along with the G35's) are the best I've seen in many years. I think all the pro adapter manufacturers out there should take at look at Ettore's footage and get cracking.
Old February 18th, 2007, 05:15 AM   #68
Regular Crew

just one question..

the metal part you used to hold the gg to the motor ??

what is it called? ( i see you have writen it in your language but i couldn't figure it out)

You have some great shots. Especially the one with the grapes i liked it most.

have a nice day
Hurcan
Hurcan Emre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2007, 01:19 PM   #69
New Boot

Hurcan, its a Prop Adapter, used by hobbists, on little eletric airplanes.
some links:
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/propadap.htm
http://1301774.estore.networksolutio...tail.bok?no=82

Thank you guys, believe me, the Wdr35 adapter its a really good device,
and i must say you that the achromatic they're using is better than mine.
the GG treatment is the same, with the same grint paper.

Maybe my results comes with more accurate editing, gama, gain, curves, sharpen...
maybe when shooting with my XM2 i take care about good manually shots, my
opinion is that, little bit underexposed to achieve better colors saturations and
flexibility when you have to edit, is important not to burn highlight areas (imho)

The material is all linked up in the last posts, economic lenses, plastic disc, sandpaper number
1/4'' 3CCD camera, no secrets... :)

As you can see
there's no absolutly any chroma aberration and the footages are really lightly and that is a pretty good start!

Ok, i'll post some footage without any kind of editing.
:D
Old February 19th, 2007, 11:24 AM   #70
New Boot

Update!
The first footage named "Raw Clip", just increase the luminance (was too dark) and
flipped the frame... you can notice some vignetting, the color are original as well as the sharpeness.

Thanks
Old February 25th, 2007, 12:26 PM   #71
Trustee

I keep going round and round and I always come back to the same. The original adapter's footage is not half as good as Ettore's and it costs as much as the M2 and the Brevis. If they followed your method it would be a best seller FOR SURE. You should really talk to them. I've spent years looking into 35mm adapters (and a lot of money) and I can't get over how good this footage looks. It's really a shame to deprive the world of such a magestic tool. Please Ettore, talk to them. Show them your work and tell them what you did to your adapter. All the 35mm adapter enthusiasts are counting on you to lead us from the blurry shadows into the razor blade sharpness.
Old February 25th, 2007, 04:42 PM   #72
New Boot

Ettore, your footage looks really great !
Ivan Brasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 03:01 PM   #73
Trustee

Ettore, I mentioned your adapter at the dvxuser forum and a huge debate presented it self. I-m promoting the adapter big time. The guys who make it should send me one for free ;D
Old March 1st, 2007, 06:16 AM   #74
New Boot

Ahahaha, gracias Lopes!

By the way, the guy that told about "no blacks" on the footages, i think he's right, but this is about my Canon XM2 and the post treatment i gave to the clips,
The point is: the adapter produces sharpen images? what about color abberrations?
distortion? light loss? the 'bokeh simulation', how is it?

These are the questions people have to do themselves when analizing a 35mm-adapter, cameras o CC doesnt matter, i have and old 1/4 ccd camera, my SLR lens is
a Yashica ML ( 50 $), acromatic (15 $) but my images are too close to the normal footages (without adapter), there's a little, but little difference between them.

He was right, i can notice "no blacks" watching the clips on my portable notebook, so my other upstairs desktop has a bad monitor calibration (i'll try to fix this).

No, I do not use cream anymore on the gg.
Yes, this is a homemade device, not for sale, not professional, no budget, just to share personal technical experiences.

Thank you
Old March 1st, 2007, 06:18 AM   #75
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Brasen View Post
Ettore, your footage looks really great !
thank you, Ivan ;)
Ettore Giraldi is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods