ok, a few DOF solutions, but how much? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old April 7th, 2006, 11:12 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Kinney
Yes we did find the problem once i received the unit back after testing. Was a build error o my part, resulting in the dvx being about 5mm too close to the GG.

I am sending them an SGpro next month, so they can update the article.
Good to hear, Wayne. I'm a bit disappointed in the shootout, as it seems like neither product was shown at what it truly could be. The Letus had a misaligned mirror (or something similar) and yours was a bit off, as you mentioned. Can't wait to see the SGpro. Seems very exciting.
Mike Oveson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2006, 11:17 AM   #17
Major Player

i also find that the adapters take some time and tinkering to get the results that you want... i find every time i put my letus on my xl1s (or when i turn it on.. because it never comes off my cam) im finding my quality it getting better and better. the more and more practice and playing with presets and testing you do the more comfortable your shooting becomes and your image gets better and better.
Old April 7th, 2006, 12:08 PM   #18
Major Player

Good point Andrew. Every cam has it's idiosyncracies..and the adapter needs to be setup correctly too. In that regard, there "shouldn't" be anything to do, except ensure that your lens flange to GG distance is correct.

Definitely knowing your cam, particularly the pro-sumer cams, makes a big difference...and shooting/testing helps to get the look right.

The other topic seldom discussed is using the 35mm lens properly. My last test shoot was with a CP filter applied to the 50mm lens, which I stopped down to F4 (with the cam still dialling in F11!!). There is a visible difference if you take the time to address the basic technicalities of good photography. Blowing out a GG with a wide open 35mm lens in outside conditions, and maxing your camera at F16 is not a recipe for good footage with even the best adapter. It seems obvious...but I wonder how many shooters are blindly seeking shortsightedness. (pun intended :-)
Dennis Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2006, 12:22 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Wood
There is a visible difference if you take the time to address the basic technicalities of good photography.
So true. I'm finding as I'm fooling with the Go35Pro it really responds better the more you treat it with the kind of care you'd treat film with. The more light you give it, or the better you are at controlling the light available, the more the adapter eats it up and makes the footage respond well.

That said, I just wish I had a camera that had decent lowlight response -- the GL1 fairs so poorly without an adapter, adding one just highlights the shortcoming of a first gen cam all the more.
Old April 7th, 2006, 07:47 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Wood
Steven, how would you define "well made"? I'm interested in your point of view. It's not something often discussed in the current crop of adapters.
Just something that wont break easy, i try to be careful with my stuff, but you know, stuff happens
Old April 7th, 2006, 07:49 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Hey Jim

Hey jim, i'm looking at getting an hdv cam, like one of the cheaper 3ccd sony ones, any problems with that?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods