Go35Pro Footage - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old April 22nd, 2006, 06:56 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Kinney
Jim, am I right in saying you are the guy with the beard, and the guy with the black shirt and glasses is Timur?
Yes, that's correct.
Old April 22nd, 2006, 11:13 AM   #17
Major Player

Man, tough crowd.

edit: I just figured out how to resolve the edge distortion issue on the DVX today. I have some parts coming middle of the week, but I have a working mockup here already and will likely have results to show in the next couple of days. With this resolved, I'll be opening pre-orders next week, April 30th, for the Pro series.

Last edited by Jim Lafferty; April 22nd, 2006 at 01:57 PM.
Jim Lafferty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2006, 11:46 AM   #18
Major Player

I have the final optical elements in place and will be ordering a mass produced shipment of them shortly. This gives you a full frame image with no chromatic aberration or color separation from edge to edge.

Here is a short clip playing around in Union Square, then a cab ride up to "The Video Geek's Crack Den," aka B&H. It weighs in at about 65mb.

For the DVX users out there, the focus/zoom settings on the lens were about z80 and manual focus at f31. The lens was a stock Nikon F 50mm 1:1.4 at f/2.8. No color correction done -- just straight cuts, out to uncompressed AVI, then to QT7 h.264.
Old April 27th, 2006, 12:05 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Great work Jim. In your last thread you mentioned the possibility of selling the GG separately. Is it still a possibility? I understand you might not have all things sorted out, but I was wondering if you decided not to sell, in which case I'll be buying a beattie for my static adapter.

Best of luck to you,

Dmitriy Uchakin
Kilo35 (http://redmushroom.blogspot.com/)
Dmitriy Uchakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2006, 12:10 PM   #20
Major Player

Yes, selling is not a problem. $120 with a week to meet the order and ship.

I'm thinking once the site goes live, there will be a "DIY Corner" and I will help people like you looking to build a DIY adapter around my glass.

That Kilo35 looks great!

And thanks for your luck, btw...

- jim
Old April 27th, 2006, 12:25 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Thank you for the prompt response. Are you going have a site on which we can order the GG or do I contact you directly for an order? Do you think your ground glass is "perfected" or do you plan to make improvements on its design? Also, what is the diameter of the GG?
If you are interested in making a site for your adapter and don’t have the means, I am a web developed based out of Dallas and will be glad to help. Maybe we can work out a deal or something. (pm me if you are interested)
Sorry for the bombardment of questions. I am just really looking forward to get rid of my ground glass and get new one.

Dmitriy Uchakin
Kilo35 (http://redmushroom.blogspot.com/)
Old April 27th, 2006, 12:27 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Just saw your homepage. You are web designer yourself. Looks like you dont need my help. ;)
Old April 27th, 2006, 12:32 PM   #23
Major Player

I appreciate the offer, nonetheless. Honestly I find myself wanting to do less and less web design, and the irony of course being that literally the moment I decided that for myself, three new clients fell into my lap. I do have someone doing all the work for the final go-35.com site, since I'm completely out of my element where database work is concerned.

If you want to oder the GG, it is right now 50mm diameter, and ready to ship as of mid next week. Just email me at: info at go-35.com

I'm going to keep quietly experimenting over the coming months to see if it can be improved upon, but this is a very low priority as I'd rather be out shooting with what I've got now -- I love the way it works and looks, and want to begin learning how to make films with it.
Old April 27th, 2006, 12:36 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Great. I look forward to be one of your customers.
Old August 6th, 2006, 01:56 PM   #25
Major Player

Go35Pro is officially out of beta stage. The final adapter measures just under 4" long and is 52mm in diameter. It is a very simple assembly -- just a small tube, the mount, and whatever step rings needed to fit your cam. Setup time should be under 2 minutes :) Price and order info soon.

I took what is now the first official release grade model and my poor dusty GL1 outside yesterday and did some shooting at f/4.0. Here are two short clips in full res, to give you exactly an idea of what the footage looks like (nothing done to these clips but the flip):

Please right-click and save

Human (267mb)

Objects-bokeh (311mb)

Get 'em now -- I'll be taking them down shortly.

- jim
Old August 6th, 2006, 11:43 PM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lafferty
This has got to be the most promising bokeh I've ever seen with an affordable (?) 35mm adapter. I think it's the first time I've actually been able to count the iris blades (sun reflections off cars in the shot of the water bottle... and the greenery in the background of the shot of the glass bottle).

1. I'd be interested in seeing this adapter on an HD camera.

2. Could you do some medium shots with rack focusing? Damn near every time a rack focus example is shot, it's of close up objects... or it's too compressed to be of any use.

3. Will the Go35Pro come with a mount for support rods?
Sam Jankis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2006, 10:02 AM   #27
Major Player

Thanks for your kind words.

As for your questions:

1) Yes, I would too. But I think it would need to move to a larger projection area. I honestly think I'm at the practical limit for res and lack of grain in a static adapter using 35mm SLR projected image dimensions. I could see using the same projection surface but the image would have to be larger -- perhaps something with a PCX lens between the SLR lens and the diffuser could be done to increase the image area, though you'd then have to contend with a shift in focal length... it does get the wheels turning though.

2) I have a short clip (150mb) uploading right now that doesn't quite fit your criteria but may be of some help... once my beta testers get their footage rolling in you'll see more stuff like this.

3) Right now I'm just selling the adapter. I'm not yet to the place where I can machine out things like support rods. I generally push people in the direction of Dennis Wood or Cavision for stuff like this. Rods and an external 7" LCD are a must -- you simply cannot get good focus just by looking at the flip out LCD. You will see this in the clips -- from the LCD, I thought I had my girlfriend's face in focus, only to find when reviewing the footage later, that her hair was in focus, or vice versa.
Old August 7th, 2006, 10:31 AM   #28
Regular Crew

I have found EVF detail function found in DVX100, DVC30 and HVX200 to be my best friend with these adapters. I use it with my Go35 beta all the time. I have been able to pull very precise focus with it and it also highlights static grain and dust so it's easier to combat them. Very very great feature, I couldn't live without it.
Mikko Parttimaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2006, 11:08 AM   #29
Major Player

You people and your post-1999 era video cameras... with all their features... :D
Old August 7th, 2006, 12:42 PM   #30
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lafferty
Thanks for your kind words.
3) Right now I'm just selling the adapter. I'm not yet to the place where I can machine out things like support rods. I generally push people in the direction of Dennis Wood or Cavision for stuff like this. Rods and an external 7" LCD are a must -- you simply cannot get good focus just by looking at the flip out LCD. You will see this in the clips -- from the LCD, I thought I had my girlfriend's face in focus, only to find when reviewing the footage later, that her hair was in focus, or vice versa.
Actually, I wasn't meaning the rods themselves... but a way to mount the Go35Pro to a rod system.
Sam Jankis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods