Letus 35 Filip or Redrock M2? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old April 16th, 2006, 04:18 PM   #1
Tourist

Letus 35 Filip or Redrock M2?

First: what’s the difference between the Letus Flip 35 and the Letus Flip enhanced?

Second: I need some advice, I'm looking to buy either a Red Rock M2 or the Letus 35 Flip. I've read all the post and it seems there is even split between good and bad on both units.

One concern is that some say the Letus flip is a bit grainy. Also, is there a difference between the Letus Flip and the Letus flip enhanced, or are they the same thing? I’d like to put in my order Sunday night.

Also any advice on a good mattebox for the HVX200. I'd like to buy Redrock's mattebox, but hear it won't be available for a while still

-Ken
Ken Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2006, 04:39 PM   #2
Inner Circle

On your second question:

The crew from '24' tested some HD(V) camcorders on their set with different kinds of mini35 adaptors, and they said that they found the M2 to be one of the best, with not much light loss and a good image quality.
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2006, 06:46 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I own the Letus Flip on XL2 - not the model made for the XL2.
the Pros of the Letus are In my opinion:
1.No destortion and optical artifacts - very good optics
2.Flip - dont underestimate it , a good LCD starts at 200$ and it needs to have flip options - i dont like magnets attached to my view finder in order to flip image.
3.if using XL2 it has the new Relay lens which cuts down weight (cant stress that enough) and probably - i havent tested it yet offers better optics - less glass to deal with, plus u can lock the relay lens, its manual, most cameras have automatic lenses that even when set to manual cant lock focus or zoom controls.
its really annoying having set the backfocus and needing to fix it all the time because it keeps moving when u accidently touch the lens on the camera.
Cons for the Letus:
1.Not the sturdiest build in the world, machining is amateur at best, and Nikon lenses dont fit well, u have to put some tape to create friction and thus hold the lens - yes i know it sounds absurd but that was quyn's advice!apparently no locking macahnisem for the lenses exist!
2.mine is fine but other people report dust getting into it.

i havent tested the M2 but its Pros are SUPPOSED to be:

1.Proffesional Build
2.Almost no light loss
Cons:
1.No Flip
2.No relay lens in sight

my 2cents
good luck
Lior Molcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2006, 07:00 AM   #4
Major Player

I own an M2, not a letus. I have heard great things about the letus, but opted for M2 for better construction and almost no light loss. However, the flip is a pain in the rear, and I would LOOOOOVVVVEEEEEEEE a realy lens for XL2. That IS an area while Letus kicks it's butt!
Matthew Nayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2006, 07:50 AM   #5
Major Player

with the relay lens i can not notice much visible light loss. much less than even my older non-flip letus.
Old April 17th, 2006, 08:23 AM   #6
Major Player

I have a flip and its great not having to turn it in post. Also, did have some dust originally but Quyen cleaned that out and upgraded the GG i believe. I have very little grain, that includes during handheld, pans and dollies where it has the best chance of being visible. I dont know how Redrock is, but Quyen, though busy, provides very good service.
Jeremy Hughes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods