Letus35XL Sound Advice at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old May 15th, 2006, 12:03 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Letus35XL Sound Advice

I'm curious how others are recording sound when using this device on the Canon XL2. I currently have an ME66 and was looking for another microphone to record ambient sound. I have an off line mini disc field recorder with 2 XLR inputs but was wondering if it would be better to record directly to the mini dv tape through the XLR inputs on the XL2. I have read that the on board microphone that comes with the Canon XL2 picks up the vibrations of the Letus when used with older models like the Letus Flip (not specifically the Letus35XL).

Any recommendations on the best way to approach sound with this set up?
What are the trade offs between the convienence of recording directly to tape vs recording off line?

Bugdet is somewhat of a concern as I'm running out of funds quickly after buying the XL2 and the letus. Looking for creative ideas for when i have a minimal crew (of like 1, just me). Thanks!
Tucker Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2006, 12:10 PM   #2
Major Player

I have luck with a combination:

1. A Sennheiser boom mike, so the mic is away from the camera. Problem with this is once you buy the mike, boom pole, mount, blimp wind scree and shag wind screen you are looking at $1200 roughly.

2. A Sennheiser wireless lav mic. Really good sound, you can put it on a person or hide it on a desk, in a plant, etc.

3. Field recorder (which you already use).
Devon Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2006, 12:34 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the reply.

Actually I have a Sennheiser ME66 boom mike, boom pole, mount, blimp and wind screen. I used this set up with my 16mm motion Picture camera which I never shot a ton of footage with due to cost of film, processing, transfer, etc... I went to mini dv to allow for much more experimentation.

Which Sennheiser wireless lav mic do you use? how much was it?

do you use the boom mike for ambient sounds also or just don't worry about those until post?
Tucker Wright is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods