Letus35 Flip and vx2000/vx2100 setup at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old June 1st, 2006, 09:39 AM   #1
Major Player

Letus35 Flip and vx2000/vx2100 setup

Hello,

I have the letus35 flip w/ canon 50mm f1.4 lens. Is there anyone else with this setup that can assist in the setup? For example, I removed my uv filter from the cam and attached the letus35. I did this because the uv filter and the letus glass was really close. I then attached the canon lens. The questions I have are:

1. are there specific focus settings on the vx2000/vx2100 and canon lens to get the best focus DOF?
2. What's the best aperture setting to use to achieve the best results?

My current findings are that I have had to adjust both the focus on the cam and the canon lens. Any suggestions would be most appreciative.

Thanks,
Troy
Troy Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2006, 04:50 PM   #2
Major Player

focus your cam onto the ground glass.. then dont touch it again. your camera's lens is recording whats on the ground glass.
Old June 1st, 2006, 06:42 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Todd
focus your cam onto the ground glass.. then dont touch it again. your camera's lens is recording whats on the ground glass.
Andrew, I'm a newbie when it comes to adapters, so can you break this down for me.

Thanks
Troy Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2006, 07:38 PM   #4
Major Player

Troy, every adapter is similar.

1. Mount adapter to cam.
2. Attach 35mm lens.
3. With unit off, (where applicable), set 35mm lens to F8 to F16, and aim at very well lit scene.
4. Set cam to manual focus mode, and focus on grain of GG. Set this and make sure it does not change.
5. Set 35mm lens aperture to wide open and zoom to frame your adapter's image properly (so it fills your view finder). Stop down 35mm lens again and make sure focus is sharp on grain of GG.
6. If you are planning on shooting with a higher F/stop, you may need to reframe (zoom in a bit) to avoid vignetting.
7. Now focus with your 35mm lens only. If your camera's manual focus changes, all of your footage is toast! I'd suggest attaching ND filters (unless light loss is high with the adapter) to the 35mm lens to keep the video cam in the F5 to F8 range. If you are using the built in ND filters on your camera...you're likely overexposing your GG....and that's not cool.

Hope that helps.
Dennis Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2006, 08:13 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Wood
Troy, every adapter is similar.

1. Mount adapter to cam.
2. Attach 35mm lens.
3. With unit off, (where applicable), set 35mm lens to F8 to F16, and aim at very well lit scene.
4. Set cam to manual focus mode, and focus on grain of GG. Set this and make sure it does not change.
5. Set 35mm lens aperture to wide open and zoom to frame your adapter's image properly (so it fills your view finder). Stop down 35mm lens again and make sure focus is sharp on grain of GG.
6. If you are planning on shooting with a higher F/stop, you may need to reframe (zoom in a bit) to avoid vignetting.
7. Now focus with your 35mm lens only. If your camera's manual focus changes, all of your footage is toast! I'd suggest attaching ND filters (unless light loss is high with the adapter) to the 35mm lens to keep the video cam in the F5 to F8 range. If you are using the built in ND filters on your camera...you're likely overexposing your GG....and that's not cool.

Hope that helps.
Thanks Dennis this really helps.
Troy Davis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods