A new chemically engineered GG at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old June 20th, 2006, 06:42 AM   #1
Regular Crew

A new chemically engineered GG

Hello all. First of all I just want to say - WHAT A FANTASTIC FORUM!! Well done Chris Hurd for developing this.

For nearly a year now I have been experimenting new ground glass techniques for a static adapter with the help of a biochemist friend and his university's lab equipment. Using various chemicals we have developed our own liquid/wax which makes it very easy to apply onto glass. The most important factors when making gg is in the application and drying technique. We used a mixture of liquid nitrogen and air, some freeze sparays available for pipe work might work for those who dont have access to LN2.

Due to the very promising results we have decided to make a complete adapter although we are not experts in the field of video making and understanding the different settings. Upto now we have had the help of a local cameraman to help us learn the basics but need more help to fully understand what makes the PERFECT adapter.

I am willing to make some custom sized gg for people on this forum (for a small fee of $10 or something for postage and packaging) to try the glass for themselves and possibly make their own static adapter.

What we ultimately aim to do is commercially produce an adapter for the filmmakers market and produce the gg seperately for diy adapter makers.

I am awaiting the delivery of my new Sony Z1 to enable me to start providing demos and stills. If there are particular settings that you would like the adapter or lens to be set at to see what it offers please let me know and I will be happy to provide it. After all, this forum is designed to bring the DV community together and help each other out in producing the perfect equipment and ultimately the perfect footage.

I also want your views on what makes the perfect adapter housing ie: size, thread dimensions, popular adapter sizes, lens mounts etc. For now I am constructing the first adapter around the Z1 with a Nikon F mount.

Last edited by Tony Relph; June 20th, 2006 at 06:50 AM. Reason: title wasnt right
Tony Relph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2006, 06:47 AM   #2
Regular Crew

New GG

I'll pay $10 to test out your new GG. Tell me what to do!
Donnie Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2006, 07:02 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Gg

Please let me know of a diameter that you would like and email me the details. I am in the process of using my savings to setup my own mini lab/factory as I cannot keep using the university's equipment. I should be ready to start making GG in about 3 weeks. A family relative has a glass company who laser cuts the glass so glass is easy to obtain. It is specifically used in scientific applications, Its not your day to day glazing or picture frame glass but still cheap.

Email is below.

Thanks for your interest.

Tony.
Old June 20th, 2006, 07:15 AM   #4
Inner Circle

One of the most severe tests is to shoot at about 45degrees off the sun, high thin bright overcast overhead, high contrast low textured environment, light tawny red colour or light olive green colour, SLR lens set at f4 or even tighter.

Most adaptors including the P+S Technik products pretty much clag out at tighter than f5.6 and develop grain, swirl or streaking effects though some cope better than others. P+S Technik recommend against using their adaptor with the lens aperture set tighter than f5.6.

If you can get a wax coat evenly formed on a CD-R sized disk, capable of remaining the way it was sprayed on, you may yet be the hero of the piece.

A wax disk is very definitely the best, but for the one defect I found, severe flicker due to the thickness of the layer around the disk being impossible to control. I'm talking a variation of about 1.5f stops which made my disk virtually unwatchable.

Static glass is a workable method but moving glass seems to be better.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2006, 07:25 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Gg

Thanks for your reply Bob. I only call it a liquid/wax because it sets like a wax. The chemicals and liquids used form no part of a wax but so as not to confuse people I just call it a liquid wax. If I used the names of the chemicals and liquids as a name it would probably be entered into the Record Books as the longest name in the world. Looks like I'm gonna have to come up with some fancy name for it so as not to confuse it with actual wax. Im open to suggestions, fancy cool names only. LOL.

What lens would you recommend for this test (Nikon Lenses only for now)?
Old June 20th, 2006, 07:45 AM   #6
Major Player

Hi Tony,

I wouldn't mind giving it a test. Im based in Brighton on the south coast, about an hour from London. I have an array of different types of GG's here to compare yours against, including microwax and the optosigma 1500.

How much in pounds to give it a test drive to a fellow englishman?
Old June 20th, 2006, 07:58 AM   #7
New Boot

Hello

If it is possible I'd like to test your GG, too.

Thanks

P.S. I tried to send you email, but mail delivery failed.
Ivan Brasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2006, 08:20 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Gg

Hi Wayne, I have actually emailed you several times but have had no reply. The reason that I emailed you is because you are close to me being in Brighton (hour away). Anyway about GG, just cost of P+P. Will let you know. Please specify the dimensions that you would like the GG so as I can order the size glass. No matter what the dimensions of the glass we have devised an equation to enable the same amount of liquid administered to each piece therefore every piece should be the same.
Old June 20th, 2006, 08:24 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Hi
I'm a Director working in London I'd love to give the glass a whirl.
Regards Stephen
Stephen Pipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2006, 08:25 AM   #10
Major Player

Tony,

Ok, i will email you now.

P.S...Hello Stephen, have not heard from you in a while, you must come and give the SGpro a test drive again!!!
Old June 20th, 2006, 08:30 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Email

Oops, sorry everyone. Email address is tony@eldavinci.com for now.
Old June 20th, 2006, 08:39 AM   #12
Major Player

OK, email sent, I hope it gets through this time ;)
Old June 20th, 2006, 08:44 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Email

Got it. That I can do. I am trying to devise a seal so it can be used on rotating systems otherwise due to the constant rotating the glass will eventually separate from the liquid. For the static solution I have had a threaded seal CNC milled to house the glass. The seal itself is threaded so it can be screwed accurately into the the adapter cylinder.
Old June 20th, 2006, 08:47 AM   #14
Major Player

OK,
If you can't do a disk, just sent us a static over, ill test it out for you.
Old June 20th, 2006, 10:33 AM   #15
Regular Crew

i'd be very interested to see the results of this and possibly the chemical constituents of the substance :p.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods