LetusXL Flip Enhanced - Initial Impressions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old July 19th, 2006, 09:38 AM   #1
Major Player

LetusXL Flip Enhanced - Initial Impressions

Yesterday I upgraded to the new LetusXL Flip Enhanced. I have only had time for a few quick tests and my INITIAL impressions are below.

I promise to post stills and a few movies within the next two days.

First, I also owned the LetusXL Flip, so I have a good sense of the differences between the two versions.

1. The new enhanced version is slightly bigger and longer. At the relay lens end there is both aperture AND back focus adjustment (which just rocks). I think this new feature will prove critical for on-the-fly adjustments when focus is critical (when is it not, I guess).

2. Most importantly, at least from my initial impressions, the image is noticeably sharper. Quyen said he is using a few new components as well as the back focus adjustment all adds to the new sharper image.

3. Light loss. Not much to report yet because I haven't run tests, but according to Quyen, there is less light loss in the enhanced version due to dropping the internal prism for two more mirrors.

I really liked my LetusXL, but in regular communication with Quyen I always made it clear I would like a sharper image. I can deal with light loss, but a soft image often won't work. Now, although my impressions are initial, it seems like the new enhanced version is clearly sharper. If the new version holds up to my initial impressions, Quyen's product might just be the best deal possible for a mere $900. Also, the fact I don't have to put the adaptor on the end of my stock lens is a huge bonus.
Old July 19th, 2006, 09:51 AM   #2
Major Player

Pics?

Post em!
Matthew Nayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2006, 09:55 AM   #3
Major Player

My goal is to go to the park tonight with a friend and shoot some footage at the rose garden. I will post shots either later tonight (Pacific Coast) or tomorrow. I can either sit at my computer or go shoot tests :)
Old July 19th, 2006, 06:12 PM   #4
Major Player

Pictures and movies

OK, a few screen grabs are up and two video clips will be up soon. My initial impressions were correct. The new version is a solid improvement. No question. There is almost no interior footage because I don't have the time for light setups.

Everything shot with a Canon XL2 at 16:9 and 30p and 1/60 shutter with the new LetusXL Flip Enhanced. I used a Canon FD 50mm f1.4 lens for all the shots.

My first two screen grabs I have at the correct 1.2 widescreen but there is some odd image banding that is not on the original footage, so I left the others at a square aspect ratio so the image remains unaltered. Just deal with the stretched look.

Quyen has a very good product here for only $900.

The pictures and video are at www.lyonfilms.com/letus.html
Old July 19th, 2006, 09:33 PM   #5
Trustee

Why, those are impressive. Very sharp and clear. Nice job.
David Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2006, 10:57 PM   #6
Major Player

Not very cinematic, I admit...but for very quick tests I hope they begin to show what many have been asking: is the new LetusXL Enhanced any better. I believe it is.
Old July 20th, 2006, 03:40 AM   #7
Regular Crew

ScreenGrabber?

Devon,

I was wondering what screen grabber you used -is it shareware?

The one I normally use does not seem to work on video output.

The images look good -no vignetting or anything.

Regards, Nick.
Nick Outram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2006, 09:23 AM   #8
Major Player

For the screen shots I use Adobe Premier Pro 2.0 > File > Export > Frame as a .tiff. I then convert to Jpeg in Photoshop.

On the Enhanced Letus there is either no vignetting, or so little that I didn't detect it in my first tests.
Old August 10th, 2006, 04:10 PM   #9
New Boot

Selling my Letus

I'm selling my Letus35 Flip enhanced if anoyone is interested.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=73369
Dain Valverde is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods