Any shot anything with an FX1 - using a DOF adapter? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old July 21st, 2006, 06:20 PM   #16
Trustee

Did the original Letus GG not do it for you?
I wonder why some footage is soft? Do you think it is the GG or the achromat?
I was thinking about the homedepot bags again. I think the best method would be to stretch one of those bags across the Letus 'hole' and use it as a GG. It would be thin and have less light loss.
David Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2006, 07:35 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Really soft image is usually a combination of bad GG, achromat and lens. Sometimes distance beetween lens and GG can be off. I have even heard that HDV codec doesn't like highly visible grain too much. This could also soften the image.

Letus seems to be the softest adapter out there.
Mikko Parttimaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2006, 08:49 PM   #18
Trustee

David, those home depot bags are singular-direction diffusors, in that they only diffuse in one direction. Don't know what I mean? Basically, really, really ugly bokeh.

There are bags that universally diffuse though, the trick is finding them.
Ben Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2006, 03:31 PM   #19
Trustee

Ben Winter - FX1 - dvfilm maker - tips?

Hey Ben,

Before I go and buy DVFilm maker, any tips on it? I have the FX1 on rent right now, so I am trying to figure out as much as possible in a short amount of time...
David Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2006, 05:16 PM   #20
Trustee

I haven't honestly played around with it much, but I did do a comparison a while back between FX1 interlaced and de-interlaced footage.

On my 42" plasma, 60i -> 30p looked about the same (except being progressive of course). 60i -> 24p looked fantastic as well but I think I could see a little resolution loss.

The settings menu is pretty straightforward, I didn't play around with the 24p editing options since I wasn't editing the 24p segment, but it looks pretty powerful. The only silly stuff is the red boost? and the "add grain" thing which I haven't really tried but from the sound of it appears silly. I'd think anyone halfway professional would do those things in After Effects or something similar. Oh well.

Overall, I wouldn't trust my deinterlacing to any other program, and its half the reason I own a Sony cam in the first place.
Ben Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2006, 08:56 PM   #21
Regular Crew

David,

No vignetting with the Letus35flip and the FX1. Just make sure you use a monitor with underscan to verify how much to zoom in. With the LCD you are getting overscan and it will look like you aren't vignetting, but you are.

I have a friend here with an Red Rock M2 and we are going to do some tests between it and the Letus35. See how they compare with lightloss, resolution, CA, etc.

With the little bit we played with them it seems they are about the same in light loss and resolution. The Letus flips the image and has less CA than the M2, but the M2 has no noise when the lenses are stopped down, where the Letus is only usable from wide open to about f4.
Old July 22nd, 2006, 10:18 PM   #22
Major Player

I shot part of a short film using an fx1 and a letus35 flip enhanced. I put some frame grabs and a clips at http://www.5501.com/adapter

cheers,
-a
Andrew Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2006, 09:45 AM   #23
Major Player

I forgot to mention that you can do a check for Nicholas Bartleet on Dvinfo.net or go to his website at www.pixelloft.com to see what's he done.

He uses a homade adapter with his fx1. His work with it for a musical group called 3L was used by Sony on their HDV tour. The groups video also aired on MTV.

Check out Akala music video as well.
John Kang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2006, 11:25 AM   #24
Major Player

Nick's just posted his newest music vid here: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=72041
Old July 23rd, 2006, 12:34 PM   #25
Trustee

The images look great, even better than I had hoped for with the FX1. I was worried about sharpness because I think the LetusFlip has a much better GG/achromat/macro than the Letus35A.
David Delaney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods