Letus35XL v2 for XLH1: What Do I Need? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old July 24th, 2006, 05:22 PM   #1
Major Player

Letus35XL v2 for XLH1: What Do I Need?

I've been following the Letus forum as well as the Alternative Imaging Methods forum trying to figure out which 35mm adapter to get for an XLH1.

I'm not quite sure what would be best. I like the fact that the Letus can mount directly to the camera and it makes for a more compact package overall but have a few questions:

1. Other than lenses and rails, is there anything else I'll need to get started with the Letus XL?

2. Will the Letus XL work with cameras that have fixed lenses such as the GL2, FX1, Z1, etc?

3. How do you focus on the ground glass if you don't use the XL lens?

4. Can the Letus XL be used with the 20x XL lens also?

5. Is there an Olympus lens mount for the Letus XL?

Thanks for your help with these questions.
Old July 24th, 2006, 08:09 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I've been using my LetusXL with my XL1 for a few months now so I'd like to take a crack at these.

1. Other than lenses and rails, is there anything else I'll need to get started with the Letus XL?

A monitor larger than the XL1/2 viewfinder would be a great benefit when focusing. I can get it pretty close with a lot of practice now, but I still end up using the unsharp mask to fake a little more focus. Even if it's a cheap LCD, just having the image bigger will help, but a good LCD or CRT monitor would obviously be the best.

2. Will the Letus XL work with cameras that have fixed lenses such as the GL2, FX1, Z1, etc?

The LetusXL was designed to mount directly to the XL series mount. It won't mount to the cameras you mentioned as it wasn't designed for them.

3. How do you focus on the ground glass if you don't use the XL lens?

The LetusXL is positioned properly and has the right optics that the camera focus correctly on the GG almost out of the box. The latest version has some back focus capability to adjust to perfection from what I understand.

4. Can the Letus XL be used with the 20x XL lens also?

Like the question about the other cameras, the LetusXL mounts directly to the XL body with no lenses between. It won't work with the 20x lens.

5. Is there an Olympus lens mount for the Letus XL?

Not sure on this one. I know it has a Canon FD and Nikon mount standard. The Olympus may be a custom job or he may not want to venture farther out than current lens options.

Just as an asside, I LOVE my LetusXL. It was well worth the price, and I got it cheap. I tracked ebay auctions for months in excel to get an average going rate for each of the different lenses I was interested in and when I found one I liked I bid typically below the average and have now won most of the lenses I need. Still holding out for an 85mm, but I'll likely go for the 1.8 and skip the 1.2. Too big of a price difference there. You'll definitely want to get a set of rails if you're planning on hooking on anything above a 55mm FD lens. My 200mm was pulling my LetusXL apart. http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=71467
Jacob Ehrichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2006, 08:15 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for the reply Jacob. That pretty much answers my questions. The Olympus mount is not crucial, it's just that my boss has some old Oplympus lenses on hand and it would be one less thing to worry about. We've already got the monitoring issue solved also.

Oh yeah...I forgot to ask about a matte box and follow focus. What are folks using?

Thanks.
Old July 24th, 2006, 10:06 PM   #4
Trustee

Follow focus is infinately more crucial than a matte box. Don't invest in the latter unless you use filters, or feel insecure that you camera isn't impressive-looking enough. I should mention I have both...and I don't own any filters :)
Ben Winter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods