Letus35fe Vs. Letus35hd100 With Hd100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old July 24th, 2006, 05:24 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Letus35fe Vs. Letus35hd100 With Hd100

Hello I'm a potential LETUS costumer and I'm curious to know what the possible advantages/disadvantages of using the 35FE vs. the 35HD100 are. More specifically, what's the loss of resolution comparable to with both these systems. I hear the letus35FE has a tendency to lose some significant res with the HD100 attached, is it possible to quantify this loss? How does that compare with 35HD100? Is there a lot more res available with the HD100 unit? Besides the convienence of having an adapter that mounts directly to the camera body rather than attaching to the stock lens, is there any reason why an HD100 user should opt for a 35HD100 unit vs. a 35FE unit (RES)? The HD100 unit, which is still betatesting yes? is not capable of fliping?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I seem to understand that the LETUS35FE flips both the image in the viewfinder and on the tape? Or is it just the recorded image that it flips? If one is using the 35FE or HD100, does one need to get a 72mm to 50somethingmm step down ring? Does anybody know the HD100 thread size? Sorry for all the questions, hopefully someone will be kind enough to answer them. Quyen is a very busy man and I'm sure he doesen't have the time to answer all these queries, this is why I turn to you, the good people of dvinfo. Hopefully many other parties share these concerns.
Ralph Sturgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2006, 07:18 PM   #2
Major Player

I was just skimming posts, and while I'm not a Letus user, I can tell you that any optical flipping system built into the adapter will flip the image both on the tape and on the viewfinder... or rather, if it flips it on tape, there's no way for it not to flip it on the viewfinder as well.

Ok, hopefully someone will answer the other questions ;)

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams" -Arthur O'Shaunessey (as quoted by Willy Wonka)
Justine Haupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2006, 06:00 AM   #3
Inner Circle

JVC HD100 standard Fujinon lens was 82mm filter thread when I made an adaptor to fit. Thread pitch is 0.7mm. You have about 3mm internal shoulder to play with.

Be very - very - very careful when trying to screw something into that thread on the lens. The extension over the lens barrel looks metal but it is plastic and at that diameter, crossthreading is highly likely.

For the same reason, using any sort of compression fitting or clamp on that front section which holds the lens hood can be a hiding to nowhere because the plastic distorts just enough to bind on the focus adjustment of the lens itself.

I used an old TV Nikon ENG lens which also has a 82mm front filter thread to do my fit up whilst I still had the adaptor piece on the lathe.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods