Upgrading the battery pack on Letus flip? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old July 30th, 2006, 01:05 PM   #1
Major Player

Upgrading the battery pack on Letus flip?

Does anyone know if you can safely upgrade the battery pack on the flip? I'm wondering about moving from 2 AA to a 4AA pack and adding a LED so I can remember when I have the friggin thing turned on or not. I know moving up to a 4 pack would essentially move the voltage rating up to 6v from 3 so I'm wondering if anyone knows if thats really bad for the GG or should I stick with 2?
Quyen, any advice?
Jeremy Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2006, 01:53 AM   #2
Major Player

You should not change from 2 to 4 batteries. My testings show that lower voltage will give you better image quality, thanks.

Quyen
Old July 31st, 2006, 03:30 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Letus Rechargeable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Hughes
Does anyone know if you can safely upgrade the battery pack on the flip? I'm wondering about moving from 2 AA to a 4AA pack and adding a LED so I can remember when I have the friggin thing turned on or not. I know moving up to a 4 pack would essentially move the voltage rating up to 6v from 3 so I'm wondering if anyone knows if thats really bad for the GG or should I stick with 2?
Quyen, any advice?
Have a look at this thread: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=70276

-After my recent trip to Paris with the unit I also thought adding an LED would be a good idea as on a number of occasions I realized only afterwards that I had been shooting without switching the GG vibrator on.

I am working on the switching arrangement to make the recharge possible (off-recharge / on+LED).

Regards, Nick.
Nick Outram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2006, 08:50 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Regarding rechargeable batteries, it might be worthwhile checking to see if 0.6v less voltage on fresh batteries compared to non-rechargables is also going to adversely affect the performance. This assumes that the rechargables are going to be Nicad batteries.

Treat my comment with appropriate scorn if another rechargable battery type is being considered which doesn't produce a lower voltage per cell than a non-rechargable.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2006, 11:02 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks Quyen. Do you know if I'll see a significant dropoff though with the LED? Have you tested with an LED inline on the curcuit? I guess I can run a voltmeter and see what the dropoff is.

Also, Bob, how long are your Nicad batteries lasting when shooting?

Thanks guys!
Jeremy
Old July 31st, 2006, 11:11 AM   #6
Major Player

Also, never thought of moving to a 2D setup where I could put the battery pack in my pocket. Same voltage with a lot longer life. Either way, I'm adding clips so the packs can be interchangeable. Also could hook up a 3V transformer plug as well.
Old July 31st, 2006, 09:05 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Jeremy.

I'm not using nicads on my setup which is not Letus. However I have been caught out with the lower voltage in the past in another application, hence the mention.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2006, 02:56 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Lithiums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hart
Regarding rechargeable batteries, it might be worthwhile checking to see if 0.6v less voltage on fresh batteries compared to non-rechargables is also going to adversely affect the performance. This assumes that the rechargables are going to be Nicad batteries.

Treat my comment with appropriate scorn if another rechargable battery type is being considered which doesn't produce a lower voltage per cell than a non-rechargable.
Bob,

I was planning on using a couple of 1250mAh high capacity Lithium AAAs internally... They would just about fit on top and bottom of white plastic lens holder withough any obscurring.

Nick.
Nick Outram is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods