Adjust FD lens F-stop at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old August 4th, 2006, 09:22 PM   #1
New Boot

Adjust FD lens F-stop

Hi,

Just checking with the people who used Canon FD lenses, how do you change the Fstop on the lens without depressing the lever at the lens rear?
I know the FD lenses needs to rotate the rear mount area in order to be able to change the Fstop, but without depressing the lever the lens reamin full opened, any advice?
Thank you
Justin
Justin Watanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2006, 10:20 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Shim the lens

Quyen sent me this link and gave me instructions on how to make this work.

http://www.letus35.com/type1.JPG

Slide the lever in the image above and and use a tooth pick or stiff piece of wire to hold the lever in place. That's how I got my lens to work correctly.
Tucker Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2006, 08:56 AM   #3
New Boot

Fd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker Wright
Quyen sent me this link and gave me instructions on how to make this work.

http://www.letus35.com/type1.JPG

Slide the lever in the image above and and use a tooth pick or stiff piece of wire to hold the lever in place. That's how I got my lens to work correctly.

Thanks, i tot there will be some other way....ive a lovely Canon 85mm 1.2L which im dying to use.....

Anyway, on a side note, i recently tried a Nikon AIS 85mm F2... it was really good...its pretty cheap too....
Justin Watanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2006, 09:33 AM   #4
Major Player

You can also do it by starting to take the lens off the mount... that might sound strange, but if you're using the type of FD lens where the entire lens rotates onto the mount (not just that separate ring that rotates), than you can see the iris open and close as you attach the lens. You can't tell how much you're stopping the lens, but if you depress the lens release button and just rotate it part of the way to take it off, than that adjusts the iris.

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams" -Arthur O'Shaunessey (as quoted by Willy Wonka)
Justine Haupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2006, 09:15 PM   #5
Major Player

I currently own the LetusXL Enhanced and the beta before that and use Canon FD mount lenses. A toothpick with a little piece of black electrical tape cut to only cover the pick works perfectly. No problems yet.
Old August 7th, 2006, 10:38 AM   #6
New Boot

Fd

Thanks all for the replies.....

Oh, ive swapped the screen with a nikon D100...im using the Letus flip 1st gen....using the Nikon i think the F-stop went down by one...much shaper as well, less graint too...thanks Ben Winter
Justin Watanabe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods