DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   What's The Latest on the Letus35 Hd100? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/73416-whats-latest-letus35-hd100.html)

Jamon Lewis August 11th, 2006 01:08 AM

What's The Latest on the Letus35 Hd100?

Hey everyone!

I've been following the various adapter thread for months now and I think i'm ready to commit to the Letus. It seems like the best pound for pound, my only concerns have been it's seems as though Quen didn't have a "cookie cutter" in terms of making them.

In all fairness to Quyen. I do realize that the comments people post are subject to their personality, skill and expectations...

Not gonna be anymore long winded about it... Bottom line is i've seen recent posts about the new Letus XL, people seem to be happy with the new one i've seen post of folks talking about it compared to the old one which makes me think Quyen is fixing the the concerns with all the products i just haven't seen any recent posts on the Letus HD100 and hope some one will be gracious enough to respond to this post about how they are fairing with the Letus35 HD100...

Thanks Jamon

Quyen Le August 11th, 2006 01:21 AM

LetusHD100

I found some info here on LetusHD100.
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=60091&page=2

Jamon Lewis August 11th, 2006 01:29 AM

LOL! Thanks Quyen! I like your style! You will be seeing me via paypal very soon ;)!

Joe Carney August 14th, 2006 06:45 PM

So the latest LetusHD100 is finalized and shipping? Or still in beta?

Thanks in advance

Quyen Le August 14th, 2006 07:05 PM

It's finalized and shipping. You can expect the same quality as LetusXL since they both using the same relay lens, thanks.

Quyen

Robert Castiglione August 15th, 2006 03:42 AM

Letus for HD100

I just bought one for the HD111 and it should be here any day.

As soon as I have had a chance I will post my impressions.

Rob

Cheong Ying Sien August 15th, 2006 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quyen Le
It's finalized and shipping. You can expect the same quality as LetusXL since they both using the same relay lens, thanks.

Quyen

Hi Quyen

I bought the Letus Flipped Enhance 1 or 2 months back.. just wondering is the LetusXL or LetusHD 100 strictly for the Canons and JVC cameras? If they are, are you working on improving the Letus FE?

cheers
yingsien

Quyen Le August 15th, 2006 11:09 AM

LetusXL is for Canon XL cameras and LetusHD100 is for JVC HD100 cameras. There is no Work-in-progress at this moment for Letus35 Flip Enhanced. I will work on it when I have time in the future, thanks.

Quyen

Abel Vang August 15th, 2006 08:15 PM

for those of you who bought the letusHD100....please post some footages if possible.....i've seen footages from other adapters and they are not fully satisfying.....i'm really looking forward for this particular adapter

Tomasz Ostrowski August 19th, 2006 02:12 AM

Any news about LetusHD100 ??

Hello:)
I am waiting for the LetusHD100 examples...anybody finished the test??
I'm going to order this adapter if it'll work well.
Could you help me with my decision?
Thanks
Tomasz Ostrowski.

Robert Castiglione August 19th, 2006 06:37 AM

Tomasz, it will happen very soon. I am still waiting on my Letus to arrive for the HD100 in the post (hopefully this week) and as soon as it does I will do some tests and post them.

Rob

Bob Hart August 19th, 2006 10:01 AM

Rob.

I managed to find a local HD100 and did some furthur testing on my gadget and it needs a minor revision - sharp relay focus is right on the standard lens infinity setting and might go off with temperature changes as my JVC adaptation is a composite of turned aluminium and PVC bits.

So I need to shorten the rear mount cap very slightly, 0.5mm - 1mm .

HD100 images certainly look good via the standard Fujinon lens as a relay, so you should not be disappointed with direct relay.

Do you have a Lemac chart? If not I can provide. I would be interested in comparing the two systems.

Robert Castiglione August 19th, 2006 10:54 AM

Bob,

Sorry, I have not been in touch yet. I have been preparing for a shoot which is taking place this coming week but maybe we can get together Friday?

I will give you a call. Hopefully my much anticipated Letus will have arrived by then and we can make comparisons.

Rob

Toenis Liivamaegi August 21st, 2006 03:08 AM

Does HD100 focus assist work with LETUSHD?

Possibly a stupid question but does the focus assist on the JVC HD100 work with LETUSHD (flipped and with relay lens) attached since Fujinons are full manual lenses too?

Best regards,
T

Bob Hart August 21st, 2006 03:14 AM

I don't know how it works with the JVC but the feature on the FX1/Z1P electronically expands a central portion of the image and I do routinely use this, both for setting up relay focus (backfocus in the case of the Letus HD100) and for making sure my primary focus is correct.

I shall look up the JVC manual and if no one answers in the meantime I shall quote it later.

Quyen Le August 21st, 2006 09:20 AM

Focus assist works just fine, thanks.

Quyen

Bob Hart August 21st, 2006 09:30 AM

In between editing sessions on this post Quyen has posted a solution but here's mine anyway since I cannot totally erase my comment box now.

I have looked up the focus assist function in the manual. Unfortunately, I don't have a HD100 handy to test on so all I can talk about are assumptions which may be totally wrong.

Focus assist in the JVC apparently gives the operator a choice of selecting a colour which will then prevail in areas of the image where the focus is as its sharpest.

It seems that the detection and display of sharpness areas might be generally similar in behaviour to the zebra pattern function for over-brightness areas and might follow the electronic rules for autofocus in a camera which has this function excepting that it simply highlights an area of sharpness already found rather than cause an autofocus system to chase it.

It is not the same as the Sony pushbutton system which simply enlarges a central section of the image to enable easier manual management by the operator.

I expect that the behaviour of the focus assist will be the same as for direct-to-camera imaging.

With a groundglass disk or Letus vibrating screen stationary (switched off), I would expect the focus assist would display a sharpness highlight across most of the frame.

With the groundglass moving, the focus assist might remain highlighted across the whole frame but it might drop out on the out-of-focus bokeh areas or become a intermittant pattern in these areas. If the shutter speed is fast enough to freeze the groundglass "grain", then it might revert to highlighting the whole frame area.

It might be sensitive to exposure levels as this affects the visibility of the groundglass texture. If this is the case, it might then serve also as an indicator of the likelyhood of flicker when apertures are close to critical for a particular groundglass.

I expect the behaviour would be the same either for relay via a macro (close-up) lens on front of the standard Fujinon lens or with the newer direct relay system.

This is all pure supposition on my part. One of the beta testers should be able to make more sensible comment than I on this subject.

Amos Kim August 21st, 2006 06:06 PM

Has anybody done a light loss test for the letus hd100?

Joe Carney August 21st, 2006 08:41 PM

I'm planning on getting one next month. Right now, I'm moving to a new home and current contract I'm working on is winding down. On the hope and expectation I'll still be employed in Sep, I'll be getting a Letus. If not, then I'll be getting one later. Either way I plan on getting one.

Bob Hart August 21st, 2006 11:05 PM

Regard my speculative comments posted above about JVC and reference to the manual, it seems I might be talking out of my hat so I suggest ignore my comments entirely.

The Sony Z1P as well as the expanded focus feature, has a "peaking" function which is a form of focus assist which also can be highlighted by colour choices.

This however introduces a colour cast across the entire frame, not selectively in areas of the image. If the JVC focus assist operates in a similar manner, then my comments above are most definitely rubbish to be ignored.

Robert Castiglione August 27th, 2006 02:10 AM

Regarding focus assist. In my limited testing to date with the JVCHD100 and Letus there is no problem at all with focus assist.

Rob

Joe Carney August 27th, 2006 09:25 PM

Rob, the most important question is, image quality. Some light loss is to be expected so no issues there. Does image quality meet your expectations.

Robert Castiglione August 27th, 2006 11:23 PM

Joe,

Totally agreed. I am looking to use the device on four shourt films I am writing but wont commit myself to doing that until I am satisfied that image quality is upto scratch.

I am waiting on my rod supports before I use it on my HD100 as I will not use it without those supports. Once I have those supports I will do some testing and will post the results with my observations as to image quality. I have done a few minutes and digitised it and it does look pretty good - just totally initial impressions.

Rob

Joe Carney September 5th, 2006 11:33 AM

Hi Rob, just wondering how things are going with the HD100/Letus setup?

Robert Castiglione September 5th, 2006 06:07 PM

Yes, things are moving along. Received my Cavision rods for the HD100. I have only had the opportunity to do some initial testing. I took some shots of a subject indoors with both the Letus and the stock Fujinon lens so that the two can be compared. That I hope will be an interesting comparison for many.

I will try and post what I have done this week with my experiences in using it.

It DOES look very filmic compared to the Fujinon.

Rob

Abel Vang September 15th, 2006 08:44 PM

is anyone going to post up test shots using the letusHD100???.....i'm waiting.....i've been waiting......i'm on my knees and begging

Robert Castiglione September 16th, 2006 12:42 AM

Ok, I feel terrible now that I have had the Letus for a while and done some shots and not posted anything. Been working furiously on a lot filming.

I will try and get something up this weekend. Just shots done indoors and people can make up their own minds.

After I put them up I can answer any questions.

Rob

Robert Castiglione September 16th, 2006 06:10 AM

Ok, here is some footage shot on HD111 and the Letus.

Sorry, they are rather dull. I will have a bit more time in the coming week to post some more shots.

Both at HDV30p using Paolo's TruColour 3.

Letusfocus indoors is with 85mm nikkon. Use of small practical light from the left and the key light is in fact the sunlight from the right through a large window. Cant recall what I used for Letushousemess.

Please forgive the state of my sitting room as evidenced by Letushousemess. The banana was delicious.

Anyway two shots to satisfy the Letus hunger out there for a couple of days while I get my act together and post some proper shots.

Indoors you are losing a stop of light and as stated by others. It is of course therefore essential to light properly indoors but we want to do this anyway so it is not an issue.

There are two main issues that are "concerns" at this stage. The first regards the the Nikon/Canon interchangeable mount at the front of the letus. This is not sufficient to adequately hold the lens securely. However, more importantly is the issue of whether you can actually see the ground glass while doing any kind of camera moves. It may be that I just need to play around with backfocus a bit more so no concluded judgments at all yet. I will post some more shots shortly and say a lot more about this device.

The links:

http://homepage.mac.com/rcastiglione/letusfocus.mov

http://homepage.mac.com/rcastiglione/Letushousemess.mov

Rob

Tomasz Ostrowski September 17th, 2006 12:50 PM

New test video shot with LetusHD100

Hey Everybody !!!
I just finished first part of tests with my JVC HD101E and the LetusHD100. In my opinion it works nice. You can see it at :

http://strony.aster.pl/tomson05/vide...est(H.264).avi (Save target...)

To watch video I recommend VLC media player.
It was Recorded in Poland few days ago and quickly made on PP2.
All shot in SD 480 60P mode(to give great slow-motion look) - I'm still waiting for HD200 and 72060P mode:) CC was done with Boris Continuum 3.0 and my favourite MultiTone Mix effect.
Lenses used : Canon FD 50mm 1:1.4, Canon FD 28mm 1:2
Waitning for your opinion and advice:)

Best Regards.
Tomasz Ostrowski.

Abel Vang September 17th, 2006 01:39 PM

thanks....

Abel Vang September 19th, 2006 12:11 AM

sorry for asking too much......i'm looking forward to buying a 35mm adapter because i'll be shooting my feature in thailand........is it possible if someone can post up a 720/24p or 25p .m2t file......i really want to see the results in HD (without the modifications of conversions, color correction, etc.)

Joe Carney September 22nd, 2006 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Castiglione
Ok, here is some footage shot on HD111 and the Letus.

Sorry, they are rather dull. I will have a bit more time in the coming week to post some more shots.

Both at HDV30p using Paolo's TruColour 3.

Letusfocus indoors is with 85mm nikkon. Use of small practical light from the left and the key light is in fact the sunlight from the right through a large window. Cant recall what I used for Letushousemess.

Please forgive the state of my sitting room as evidenced by Letushousemess. The banana was delicious.

Anyway two shots to satisfy the Letus hunger out there for a couple of days while I get my act together and post some proper shots.

Indoors you are losing a stop of light and as stated by others. It is of course therefore essential to light properly indoors but we want to do this anyway so it is not an issue.

There are two main issues that are "concerns" at this stage. The first regards the the Nikon/Canon interchangeable mount at the front of the letus. This is not sufficient to adequately hold the lens securely. However, more importantly is the issue of whether you can actually see the ground glass while doing any kind of camera moves. It may be that I just need to play around with backfocus a bit more so no concluded judgments at all yet. I will post some more shots shortly and say a lot more about this device.

The links:

http://homepage.mac.com/rcastiglione/letusfocus.mov

http://homepage.mac.com/rcastiglione/Letushousemess.mov

Rob

When I tried to play, Quicktime indicated it needed a plug-in, could you indicate which one it is? Thanks.

Alex Chong September 25th, 2006 05:31 AM

Hi,

I hear that HD camcorder can actually capture the grains on a GG even when the GG is vibrating. Does Letus HD100 have this problem.

Bob Hart September 25th, 2006 11:04 AM

Alex.

There are a couple of grain artifacts which turn up. You will see them on SD and HDV.

One is caused by use of a high shutter speed sufficient to freeze the groundglass texture. This will be seen as a frame to frame random sandpapery looking texture or a grubby smeary look depending on how frozen the groundglass texture has become.

This random texture may mess up the image through giving the codec too much detail to play with and it will take a short cut and soften the image in order to preserve frame rate.

Another is caused by video noise in the camera itself. It seems most imaging devices on video cameras generate some random noise. It becomes most evident when gain levels are brought up in low light conditions but apparently it is apparently always there lurking in the background.

One thing groundglass based image relay devices do when set up properly is to confer a soft uniform image where we want it. With no longer a place to hide in the generally complex and detailed background of a small chip image which remains fairly sharp even if out of focus, video noise can become more evident.

In low light conditions it can become very evident.

This internally generated "grain" will be observed to be very fine on SD and even finer on HDV but also very sharply defined. Grain from the groundglass itself, in many appliances will not appear as sharp and often will be of a coarser texture.

Video gain noise will be found across the entire image, though in lighter areas it will be harder to see. It remains sharp and not modified by brighter high points of light in the same way grain on a groundglass is.

It is also independent of shutter speed/frame rate and is governed by gain settings.

Aesthetically, is is not always a bad thing and might be evident in the same circumstances which cause grain in motion film imaging, lowlight, high speed film stock, forced processing.

Because the nature of these adaptors is to lose some light and low budget operators are more likely not have access to adequate lighting, it is also more likely cameras wearing relay devices will be set to operate in a manner to aggravate internal video gain noise and "grain" artifacts will consequently be more often observed in an image more prone to show them.

There is a more professional way of talking about this subject. Trouble is I can only pass on my observations in layman's terms. Be doubting of my comments here.

Joe Carney October 3rd, 2006 09:31 AM

Sorry, but need to bump this. Which quicktime plug-in is needed to view video?

Plus any new review/info on Letus for the HD100?

Paul Jefferies October 9th, 2006 06:24 AM

slight diversion of topic, but... I am used to using the hand grip on the HD100 stock lens, so how does it work when the letus is attached - where do you hold/support the camera? Does anyone make a grab handle or similar which can be mounted next to the letus for support? and what about the record and return buttons? I'm a little concerned that, without the hand strap the whole thing could easily just slip out of my hands and off my shoulder to destruction...

Bob Hart October 9th, 2006 09:52 AM

Best practice is going to be to use a tripod. The Letus direct relay model for the HD100 should not be used to support the camera weight or the camera to support the Letus. You might need to investigate bridgeplate and rods assembly and a substitute handle mounted off the rods support.

For handholding, you may need to change hands over the habit you normally used with the JVC, right hand for the SLR lens and run button, camera on right shoulder as before, left hand holding the camera from overhead by its carry handle Bolex filmcamera style. - Ungainly, awkward but quite steady with practice.

Jim Giberti October 10th, 2006 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Carney
Sorry, but need to bump this. Which quicktime plug-in is needed to view video?

Plus any new review/info on Letus for the HD100?

I just did a little review over at the HD100 list last week.
It's probably still on the first page.

I'm an early adopter of the Mini35 and had a Letus built because of the potential ease of use versus the Mini.
Did a good deal of tweaking and testing with a Putora chart and getting just the right setting to maintain resolution versus the FUji lens as well as the cleanest backgrounds with shallow DOF.

Very succesful after a couple of days of testing and setup.

Jim Giberti October 10th, 2006 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Hart
Best practice is going to be to use a tripod. The Letus direct relay model for the HD100 should not be used to support the camera weight or the camera to support the Letus. You might need to investigate bridgeplate and rods assembly and a substitute handle mounted off the rods support.

For handholding, you may need to change hands over the habit you normally used with the JVC, right hand for the SLR lens and run button, camera on right shoulder as before, left hand holding the camera from overhead by its carry handle Bolex filmcamera style. - Ungainly, awkward but quite steady with practice.

With a quality AIS lens in the 20 to 50mm range (pretty much where you want to stay given the 1.9 factor), you're not really adding much more length or weight beyond the standard Fuji lens, so it's fine to mount the Letsu HD100 without rods. There is no practical way to handhold it like this though. You certainly want to use a tripod unless you're going to set it up on rods as Bob suggests

Over different projects we did use the Mini35 handheld as it is a permanent rod setup, but it also weighs about twice what the HD100/Letus setup weighs.

Bottom line is that it works great on a tripod where, honestly, you're going to want to work mostly with this level of production (shallow dof) and do your moves with pan, tilt, on a small dolly or jib arm.

Bob Hart October 11th, 2006 02:07 AM

You can mount the Letus35 XL and HD100 flip relay versions to the cameras without rods and the Canon will handhold as it normally does as it has a permanent handle where the lens grip and the standard JVC HD100 lens or ENG cams have one. The JVC loses it with the removal of its own lens.

It is true the Letus35 assembly does not in itself add extra harmful weight to the HD100 lens mount. However, the relay lens used in back of the Letus35 relay versions is a load bearing component in this arrangement. It was not designed to be a load bearing component but is unlikely to fail structurally.

However, unless the weight of the Letus35 appliance is supported, changing backfocus using the relay lens focus ring is awkard and the mechanism binds. Backfocus cannot be conveniently done with the camera on shoulder except if the camera op is three handed.

Unless the Letus is supported, focus adjustments to the SLR lens may also introduce unwanted movements of the image due to compliance in the structure in the immediate neighbourhood of the relay lens and the relay lens itself.