Adding Stability to Letus - Cavision Rods? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old August 23rd, 2006, 10:49 PM   #1
Major Player

Adding Stability to Letus - Cavision Rods?

Hi there,

Just got my Letus for JVCHD100 (thanks Quyen) and am doing some testing.

First thing. It has been mentioned that there is a bit of a loose fit issue and there is. A bit of play at the camera mount end. Someone suggested using the Cavision rods to add stability?

Just some questions about this. With the Cavision rods for the JVCHD100 dont you have to have the overpriced an pretty useless additional camera plate from JVC?

Also, HOW exactly does it add stability. Does this also assume having the matte box i.e. the whole shebang?

Pictures of the set up for those interested will be coming.

Regards,

Rob
Robert Castiglione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2006, 11:26 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Castiglione
Hi there,

Just got my Letus for JVCHD100 (thanks Quyen) and am doing some testing.

First thing. It has been mentioned that there is a bit of a loose fit issue and there is. A bit of play at the camera mount end. Someone suggested using the Cavision rods to add stability?

Just some questions about this. With the Cavision rods for the JVCHD100 dont you have to have the overpriced an pretty useless additional camera plate from JVC?

Also, HOW exactly does it add stability. Does this also assume having the matte box i.e. the whole shebang?

Pictures of the set up for those interested will be coming.

Regards,

Rob
I use the Cavision Rods / Letus XL Flip V2 combo on my Canon XL2. I'm not sure which rod system specifically works on the JVCHD100 or what else you might need to attach it to your camera. I don't use the matte box (yet). The system is modular so you can add to it as you go.

These are the rods i ordered:
http://www.cavision.com/rods/minidv.htm

Also, the Lens support accessory is needed to give maximum stability. I wasn't sure I would need it when I ordered. The salesman strongly recommended it. I'm glad I got the lens support. I can see why he recommended it. I ordered directly from Cavision. Call them you will find them knowlegable and very helpful. B&H was cheaper but the cavision rods i needed were always out of stock.

The Lens support is shown here:
http://www.cavision.com/rods/lenssupport.htm
Tucker Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2006, 11:34 PM   #3
Major Player

Ahhh, yes, the lens support thingy looks excellent. Tucker thanks for that. I will give Cavision a call to get the bits and pieces I need and also ask them if I need to mount the thing onto the additional JVC camera plate.

Rob
Old August 24th, 2006, 06:34 PM   #4
Major Player

Cavision and HD100 - HD100 owners should definitely get rods

Tucker, you were right, Cavision ARE incredibily helpful.

In relation to the HD100 they do have a rods support product which does not require HD100 people to own the bigger JVC camera plate. It is all being mailed to me as I write.

After testing out the Letus on the HD100 I am very reluctant to actually use without rods support because of the weight of the device. I have done some testing and optically it does look promising at this stage though I will certainly have to do further testing.

Rob
Old August 25th, 2006, 12:52 AM   #5
Major Player

http://letus35com.temp.powweb.com/HD100.JPG
Old August 25th, 2006, 07:16 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quyen.

Is the rods based support under the Letus body firmly fixed to the body by screws or does it just rest there? If fixed with screws, can you advise safe drilling and tapping points and safe screw depths on the case.

There is a local here with your Letus35 XL Flip version who has a teleprompter mount which is built onto rods and baseplate.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2006, 08:04 AM   #7
Major Player

It just rest there on the T of the Cavision rods support. You can also use lens support above to strap the body. On the flip parts, there is a hole ready to be tapped 1/4" 20. You can use this hole to build some support there. Thanks.

Quyen
Old August 25th, 2006, 08:12 AM   #8
Regular Crew

The Cavision Lens Support Accessory has a curved shape that fits under the adapter and a strap to hold everything snug. It took some adjustment using an Allen Wrench to get everything lined up and level but now it is a very stable setup.
Tucker Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2006, 08:30 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Quyen and others. thanks for the info.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods