PL and OCT19 mounts for the Brevis35 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old October 16th, 2006, 12:16 AM   #16
Major Player

Is compression responsible for the wiggly/liquidy bokeh?
Sam Jankis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2006, 01:20 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Pentax K lenses are usually better than their M42 equivalents (older). Moreover, photographers have a kind respect for these underrated lenses... I know several big names who can't leave them... Please keep me informed of this, as I'm preparing a feature for a French director and we're going to do some shopping soon...

Kristin
Kristin Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2006, 03:58 AM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Jankis
Is compression responsible for the wiggly/liquidy bokeh?
I second that question.

Also, is that vignette on the corners?
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2006, 07:30 PM   #19
Major Player

I'll be redoing these clips with an HVX, using the redesigned rails support to provide a rock solid mount. The GS400 in frame mode, is relatively noisy (particulary flipped as progressive footage)...however it serves as a good relative comparison. It's not clinical test footage(obviously) by any stretch. The 50mm portion looks to show a bit of vignetting, but to the left is a shaded trunk, and to the right, a tree line. Regardless, that 50mm lens could have used about 5% more zoom in.

The point of the test was to get the lenses mounted up and get an idea of the quality of the lenses. Once the dust settles a bit, I will be posting the promised test series to demonstrate differences in FOV, DOF, and sharpness between the lens types at a range of f stops. If you consider the challenges in accomodating all the cameras out there, and then add in the different lens types, and formats, it's pretty cool that I could strap the LOMOs on there and get footage without even an achromat :-) My sense of things so far is that these lenses are very, very good.
Dennis Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2006, 10:43 PM   #20
Major Player

Ah... didn't know those were shot with the GS400 instead of the HVX200.
Sam Jankis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2006, 10:51 AM   #21
Major Player

Jeeps, maybe I shouldn't be thinking about an upgrade then! I'll let you in on another tidbit that you guys picked up on. This footage was done using a prototype adapter that will allow independent variation of oscillation with respect to both frequency, and amplitude. It needs some work before production, but will be the "cat's meow" when it comes to more diffuser options :-) The diffuser in place for the clips was our current diffuser option 1.
Dennis Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2006, 05:00 PM   #22
Major Player

I found out my friend Jon just ordered a Brevis... needless to say, I'll be playing with it.
Sam Jankis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods