Best Turnkey 35mm Adapter for FX1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old October 7th, 2006, 05:13 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Best Turnkey 35mm Adapter for FX1

Okay. I have messed around enough now with trying to devise my own 35mm adapter to know the problems and to know that I am behind the curve in technical competence to come up with my own version.

So, I am thinking I need a clean, ready to go set up for my FX1. I have a couple of Pentax K mount lenses, but I am willing go to other lenses depending on adapter's capabilities.

I want to avoid to much more adapting, but this not being a paying profession for me, cost is also important.

Anyone have a favorite for this camera ?
Old October 7th, 2006, 05:35 PM   #2
Trustee

Letus35 Flip is popular from what I hear. Someone who's used that should comment. But I recommend the Brevis (www.cinevate.com). Really, really well-built and a fantastic image. Practically nil light loss. I absolutely love the image I get with it and my FX1. It's as if the two belong together.

Last edited by Ben Winter; October 7th, 2006 at 07:23 PM.
Ben Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2006, 05:47 PM   #3
Trustee

Ben, your link isn't working because the bracket is caught with the url.
David Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2006, 05:54 PM   #4
Major Player

Hello,

The SGpro Rev 2 offers a Pentax K mount is and ready for the FX1 and comes with 15mm rods support. You can view the latest FX1/SGpro footage in this thread: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=75262
Old October 7th, 2006, 07:25 PM   #5
Trustee

That's true--the SG35 produces some absolutely fantastic images.
Old October 7th, 2006, 11:23 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Chris,

I just got a Go35Pro for my HDR-FX1 and I am VERY pleased with it.

I will be putting up some footage in the next few days. It looks great, and using the adapter was simple and I've found it to be very well constructed.

I picked it not just because of the price, but the footage shot by Timur is very warm and fitting of the type of look I go for with political spots.
Jason Michael Holly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2006, 12:05 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Kinney
Hello,

The SGpro Rev 2 offers a Pentax K mount is and ready for the FX1 and comes with 15mm rods support. You can view the latest FX1/SGpro footage in this thread: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=75262
Hey Wayne. Website isn't accessable as far as getting pricing, etc. Says you are working on it. You appear to be quoting in British pounds.. are you shipping to US or do you have a rep here ?
Old October 8th, 2006, 12:41 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Michael Holly
Chris,

I will be putting up some footage in the next few days. It looks great, and using the adapter was simple and I've found it to be very well constructed.

I picked it not just because of the price, but the footage shot by Timur is very warm and fitting of the type of look I go for with political spots.

Follow up. Okay, now I remember... Lafferty static. I would be curious to see your footage !!!
Old October 8th, 2006, 03:57 AM   #9
Major Player

Chris,

Yes we ship to the US. Please email info@sgpro.co.uk for pricing.
Old October 8th, 2006, 10:38 AM   #10
Major Player

No Pentax K mount at the moment -- Nikon F only, with the Go35Pro. However, with the money you'd save on the Go35Pro, you could turn around and invest that in glass. Nikon 50mm f/1.8 manual lenses start at $65, for instance. You could then purchase the Go35Pro, a 50mm lens, and rods for less than the cost of an M2 (for instance).

I'll have some more full res footage up tomorrow likely -- between it and Marty Martin's work, you get to see how the adapter really performs.
Old October 8th, 2006, 03:52 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lafferty
No Pentax K mount at the moment -- Nikon F only, with the Go35Pro. However, with the money you'd save on the Go35Pro, you could turn around and invest that in glass. Nikon 50mm f/1.8 manual lenses start at $65, for instance. You could then purchase the Go35Pro, a 50mm lens, and rods for less than the cost of an M2 (for instance).

I'll have some more full res footage up tomorrow likely -- between it and Marty Martin's work, you get to see how the adapter really performs.
Jim:

Can you PM me with info, and/or information, documentation, and/or pics of your product, or location of same on net.
Old October 8th, 2006, 11:25 PM   #12
Major Player

Email sent. Look for some new footage on this board later :)
Old October 11th, 2006, 03:47 AM   #13
Trustee

If I were out for a 35mm DOF adapter my pick would sure be the Sgpro, specially that you have a Z1. The Sgpro seems to work specially well with the Sony camera. I was blown away by the clips Wayne posted not long ago using the Z1 with the Sgpro. Very sharp images and a fantastic bokeh, the nicest from all adapters, very filmic.
If the Sgpro offered PL mount I think I would finally jump on the 35mm DOF adapter bandwagon.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2006, 05:22 AM   #14
Major Player

Thanks for the kind words Michael.

Both the PL and OCT-19 mounts are machined and I will be releasing at the beginning of November. The SGpro Rev2 PL will be the most affordable PL mount bundle available, about $450 less then the competition.
Old October 11th, 2006, 06:45 AM   #15
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Michael Holly
Chris,

Isn't this Go35Pro a static set up? I would be very careful in using a static adapter with HD. Grain will sure be visible at some point or some situations, unless the diffusion is very little, which would produce a very ugly bokeh. Besides that there may be problems with shooting with the lens stopped down. How far can you stop it down before you see the GG?
I feel that for HD a static adapter is not the way to go. No wonder the G35 people took their adapter back to the drawing board when HD cameras started to become common.
For HD I would look at the M2, Brevis or Sgrpro. My preference would be the Sgpro for it’s sharpness and bokeh.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods