I just converted a JVC HDD camcorder to infrared permanently at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old October 10th, 2006, 12:04 AM   #1
Regular Crew

I just converted a JVC HDD camcorder to infrared permanently

I just converted a JVC HDD camcorder to infrared permanently. Actually I could convert it back but it took a good hour or two. Disassemble pretty much EVERYTHING and then pop out the blue green IR block filter and put in a dark infrared filter.

I used the cheap resin plastic filter that Edmunds Optics sells and the footage looks killer. Just like infrared film with out all the grain. I wouldn't try the glass filters because they are 3mm thick which is too much.

I can even set the camcorder to B&W or Sepia mode for neat looking footage. In color it has some really bad red casts.

Nice thing about the JVC HDD line of camcorders is the 30.5mm filter thread can accept Nikon coolpix wide angle conversion lenses with a 30.5 to 28mm step down ring (get those on ebay)

That means I have a cheap infrared fisheye camera. Watch out skaters!

So I have my own website, but I'm more of a still photographer than a video guy. Is there a place I can easily upload some footage?

Peace, Rolland
Old October 12th, 2006, 03:57 AM   #2
Regular Crew

you're one crazy mo-fo. but i like it.

post some screens or movs?
Eric Gorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2006, 09:03 AM   #3
Wrangler

i totally want one of these! does anyone know anyone who does IR conversions on video cameras for a fee? i have a ZR100 or a GL2 which i would love to IR enable. it seems like there are a lot of resources for still photographers to do this. any for video?
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2006, 08:46 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Converting camcorders to infrared is tricky

Well I've converted three camcorders so far.

Years ago I converted the very first JVC mini DV palm corder.
A year or so ago I tried to convert a Canon ZR model, but honestly the sensor was just way too small to convert easily, I wound up just reassembling it.
And just last week the JVC Everio.

INterestingly the lens assembly between the Everio and the old JVC camcorder looked almost identical.

I think JVC just reinvents a lot of its camcorder line while the lens assemblies are basically the same.

Three CCD camcorders like the GL2 would be too expensive to convert and besides probably a lot more work since they use three CCD's.

If you truely want to convert a camcorder than I would recommend either a jvc consumer model OR any any model that has a LARGE still picture resolution, like 2 or 3 or more megapixels. Typically these megapixel camcorders have larger sensors where the filter array can more easily be changed out.

If you cant' find anyone else I'd be willing to help convert one for you, but by no means do I wnat to do do this commercially right now. re@rollandelliott.com
Old October 16th, 2006, 09:47 AM   #5
Regular Crew

http://www.maxmax.com/aXRayIRCameras.htm

http://www.maxmax.com/aXRayIRCameras.htm

THESE folks convert SONY cameras only to Infrared.

They were not clever enough to actually modify the software programing to allow nightshot during the day.

They physically alter the filter by removing it and you must buy an infrared filter and a standard daylight filter to use their modified camcorders.
$250 to $500 depending on camera plus shipping.

Peace, Rolland
Old October 16th, 2006, 10:03 AM   #6
Regular Crew

here is a small clip from a wedding

Please excuse the choppy footage and my annoying giggly voice. Here is a small clip from a wedding video I shot this weekend as the main photographer. The videographer in training was just messing around with the JVC Everio camcorder I converted.
http://www.rollandelliott.com/movie.wmv

Bridesmaids dresses were actually dark brown.

I love the footage outside, inside the church and at the reception the footage is not quite as interesting.

Peace, Rolland
Old October 16th, 2006, 12:14 PM   #7
Major Player

Rolland, i'm not sure how dark there really is, it seems daylight to me. Have You smth. in lowlight conditions?
Frank Hool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2006, 01:21 PM   #8
Regular Crew

the clip is daylight

I dont' understand your question. The clip is daylight.

The low light shots I did not post because they don't look that good.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods