wax vibrating medium format adaptor (read this one) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old October 11th, 2006, 03:41 AM   #1
Regular Crew

wax vibrating medium format adaptor (read this one)

Hi guys,

i want to share my DIY-Pro design of my medium format adaptor. It is based on Tõnis Liivamägi (www.cinedof.com) gg-holder. It is not yet finished i have to design the housing. The whole vibrating unit is kept in an aluminium ring that can be moved back and forth for infinity focus via the orange screw. I use a wax gg for superb bokeh and a planoconvex lens as condenser. I use a high end Achromatic Triplet (not in the pics) from Fraunhofer Institut here in munich for minimal achromatic aberration.

best regards
Daniel

Sorry for multiple posting something went wrong here.
Admin please delete the other posts.

http://www.jetsetmodels.info/pics/vibra70.jpg
http://www.jetsetmodels.info/pics/vibra70_1.jpg
http://www.jetsetmodels.info/pics/vibra70_2.jpg
Daniel Schaumberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2006, 05:27 AM   #2
Major Player

Nice,

It has been a while since anybody has done anything with wax screens as far as I know, especially on a vibrating setup. I would be interested in seeing this one develope.
Old October 11th, 2006, 05:29 AM   #3
Major Player

Good job!

I quess you have managed to get the thickness of those leaf springs just right as those must be at least five times thicker than the thickness of the material. And if you still get Z movement try to shorten the leaf springs or use 6 instead of 4 as you have plenty of room to accomodate such a design.

Mechanical properties of the material should be Derlin-like and low thermal expansion rate is a must to avoid thermal expansion or contraction of springs or else it would change or even distort the image plane when the temperature changes.

Btw what are you using for CAD and CAM work, Rhinoceros, Solid Edge, DeskProto?

Thanks for quoting us,
T
Toenis Liivamaegi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2006, 06:24 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi Toenis,

I have been working on a vibrating GG holder but similar to the Quyen's design. I haven't been able to get good result as the 14mm motor is no more in production. I understand your design can utilise a 12mm motor and the vibration is good. Now, since daniel has done a similar design to you. I guess you don't have a copyright on this design. Is your design free to all DIY? I intend to make an adaptor that I can sell. The key word here is SELL. Of course the GG holder is just one part of the adaptor. My adaptor has flip capability. I am just wondering if I can incorporate a design SIMILAR to your GG holder into my design. Thanks.
Alex Chong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2006, 12:58 PM   #5
Major Player

This looks promising. Do you have the wax situation figured out? I've been through extensive tests and experiments with that and could give you some guidance if you'd like. Best of luck!

- jim
Old October 11th, 2006, 01:08 PM   #6
Major Player

Jim is the king of microwax!!!
Old October 11th, 2006, 09:30 PM   #7
Regular Crew

wax gg

Hi Jim,

i used 2 glassplates everyone 1mm thick and sandwiched it with a gap of 0.10mm. I put the wax in a sheet metal box together with the sandwich in the oven at 70-80° C and used the capilar effect. The wax climbs up without any bubbles and i get a clean wax gg without submerging it.
I use 5% white bees wax + 95% hard paraffin wax. Someone told me to take the wax gg out of the oven and put it directly into the refrigerator to cool it down very fastly. Ive not tested it yet i let it cool down very slow in the oven.

How do you make your wax gg's. Do you have another method?

>>> wayne= Ive not seen the 35mm SGPro before, is it a spinning or vibrating device and what sort of gg do you use? It looks very nice an solid on your website.

best regards
Daniel
Old October 13th, 2006, 03:57 PM   #8
Major Player

When I was playing with microwax, I never ventured into the capillary action as it just seemed like too much work (for me). Interesting to read you got it done. Congrats! I would love to see some footage samples with your screen not moving... what kind of light loss do you see?

How do you control the separation of the glass?

For the Go35Pro, I don't use microwax, but with the substance I do use, I get an even spread that is far thinner than .003mm using a technique similar to Oscar Spier's method of a thin material separating the two pieces of glass, the entire setup submerged in the polymer.

I've found that, with tight, small grain suspended in a polymer, bokeh, diffusion, light loss, and size/quantity of the grain are all interdependent. As the thickness goes down, the grain goes up, and there's a relatively "happy" medium you need to strike between light loss and bokeh. Too little diffusion, and while the light loss goes under 2 stops, at a certain point you get some aerial pass-through. At the other end, you can get a 100% grainless image with fantastic bokeh but light loss goes up to 2.5 to 3 stops!

- jim
Old October 15th, 2006, 06:55 PM   #9
Regular Crew

wax gg tutorial

Hi guys,

had some time today to do a quick tutorial on how to create easy wax-gg's using the capillary action. After i got my cam back i will post some 35mm grabs.

NEW!!! WAX-GG in 5 easy steps! With detailed pics and infos! FOR FREE ;-)

http://www.jetsetmodels.info/pics/WA...easy_Steps.pdf (1.25MB)

Daniel
Old October 16th, 2006, 12:54 AM   #10
New Boot

Thanks a lot for tutorial, Daniel.

Can't wait to try it. :)
Ivan Brasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2006, 08:06 AM   #11
Major Player

Very nice tutorial! Really good job. Thanks.
Frank Hool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2006, 08:59 AM   #12
Major Player

Nice!!

Does anyone know what happens to wax screen when used in hot studio environments or even when you leave it in car on sunny summer day?

This screen apparently can be used even in CINEDOF vibration unit as it can take screens with thicknesses from 1.7mm to 2.0mm.

Cheers,
T
Toenis Liivamaegi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2006, 09:35 AM   #13
Major Player

T,

When i was doing wax research it takes a lot to have it melt. First off, i'm never going to leave my camera or any equipment in my car. Yeah, it would melt. Inside of a car it can get anywhere up to 120F. Studio's you should be fine. Now, this is Micro wax aslo I read about. I'm not sure about the kind of wax Daniel is using. I'm sure it will hold.
Rich Hibner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2006, 07:44 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Hi Daniel,

Do you have any stills or footage made using your wax gg screen?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods