Blackmagic Intensity at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old October 11th, 2006, 09:32 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Blackmagic Intensity

Sony's new consumer grade HDR-HC3 has HDMI uncompressed output...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

and Blackmagic built a capture card...
http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/

I see that the HC3 does not have manual control of the shutter speed. The HC1 does have manual control over shutter speed. Sony givith, and sony takith away.

Does this mean 1920X1080 Uncompressed 4:2:2 for for a grand total of $1400? Assuming you have the computer to handle it.

Another really cool feature is the camera can capture 3 seconds of 240i (interlaced frames per second), and then the camera records it to tape at 60i over twelve seconds giving amazing looking slow motion shots. I'm guessing you could also shoot 6 seconds of footage of 120i.
Donnie Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2006, 10:40 AM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie Wagner
Another really cool feature is the camera can capture 3 seconds of 240i (interlaced frames per second), and then the camera records it to tape at 60i over twelve seconds giving amazing looking slow motion shots. I'm guessing you could also shoot 6 seconds of footage of 120i.
Wow! It's about time a camera than can do this came out. Canon, are you seeing what sony is up to??

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams" -Arthur O'Shaunessey (as quoted by Willy Wonka)
Justine Haupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2006, 03:03 PM   #3
Trustee

Do we have some comparison shot of this? Since it is a pretty cheap camera, it might be worth it (even though it is without manual controls).
David Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2006, 05:16 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hmmm... bhphotovideo says:
"Manual Controls - Put yourself in control with manual settings of SHUTTER SPEED and white balance. A zoom ring, zebra pattern, Iris and spot focus give you even more control"
Donnie, am I missing something?
Anton Galimzyanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2006, 07:01 PM   #5
Major Player

I played with one for a few minutes. you can control shutter speed. But the only way I found to controll focus was this push lever thing. maybe if there was a way to get it to autofocus on the GG, that might work.
Michael Fossenkemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2006, 02:18 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Can you guys confirm that this camera actually outputs an uncompressed signal via its HDMI out? Or does it compress the video into HDV and then output from the HDMI? If it is actually sending un-touched HD video out the back this would be an incredible setup, close to the reel-stream!
Old October 20th, 2006, 04:35 PM   #7
Regular Crew

It has been confirmed that infact via hdmi you get an uncompressed 4:2:2 stream , which as you say opens up lots of exciting possiblities

Sharyn
Sharyn Ferrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2006, 05:22 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Galimzyanov
Hmmm... bhphotovideo says:
"Manual Controls - Put yourself in control with manual settings of SHUTTER SPEED and white balance. A zoom ring, zebra pattern, Iris and spot focus give you even more control"
Donnie, am I missing something?
I was going off the Camcorderinfo.com review that says..

"In designing the HDR-HC3, Sony clearly went back to the drawing board on manual controls… and erased it. Last year’s HC1 offered manual shutter speed from 1/4 to 1/10000 and a decent focus / zoom ring. This year, the shutter speed has been dropped entirely..."
http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content...der-Review.htm

So I just took that for fact. never used the camera myself.
Donnie Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2006, 06:06 PM   #9
Trustee

Well, that turns a disappointing HC3 into a much better possibility for uncompressed video! They are pretty cheap now as well...
David Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2006, 11:01 PM   #10
New Boot

The SR1 is supposed to have even better images than the HC3. I just bought one and am testing it now. I'm going to do some tests with the Redrock M2 and see what I get. So far, even the AVCHD video looks mighty good! To my eye, as good as HDV.

I went with this instead of the HC3 for a couple of reasons:

Focus ring/Multi-function ring
Mic and Headphone jacks
Elimination of tape

I've figured out a workflow with AVCHD which, while cumbersome, gives great results. (PowerDVD 7 for codec, TMpg Xpress 4 for conversion to intermediate codec)

I didn't find out about the HDMI goodies until I had bought it. Now I'm selling my G5 to get a new Mac Pro and Intensity. For controlled studio shoots this is too good to pass up!
Old November 7th, 2006, 06:23 AM   #11
Regular Crew

I have a HC3 and there is no control over shutter speed. You do however have 4 settings for slow shutter effects and a fast shutter effect through the "Sports" mode. These speeds are all I need really.

There is also no focus ring, instead you have a small wheel which can be switched for either Focus or Exposure.

I would reccomend the camera to anyone, I have shot a few short films with it (using MB looks in post too) and people thought I had shot on 35mm film!
I J Walton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2006, 07:56 PM   #12
Regular Crew

BLACKMAGIC Intensity with a Gefen VGA/Compoment to HDMI converter

HI
Has anyone been able to test the Blackmagic Intensity? I know Blackmagic has a higher end card with HDMI and Analog Component, but has anyone looked at the Component to Hdmi converters from say Gefen, to see if they would work as a lower cost option for use with camcorders that only have component out? Has anyone looked at the Gefen VGA/Component interface also as a way to get Vga PC source material into a hd program/presentation?

Sharyn
Sharyn Ferrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2006, 05:29 AM   #13
Major Player

I have had a pre-order for this card for what seems like forever and there is still no news on when it will ship to my reseller.

It was supposed to be the second week of November, but that's now, and still no dice.
Old November 11th, 2006, 05:55 PM   #14
Regular Crew

please tell me that the Black Magic intensity will work with the HC1?
Paul Watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2006, 06:05 PM   #15
Regular Crew

never mind.
Paul Watkins is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods