Short film - DVX100a + Letus at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old March 30th, 2007, 08:25 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Short film - DVX100a + Letus

Short film I shot for school (rush job!). Entered it into the DVXuser dramafest.

http://www.lloydchoi.com/videos/wastedwebb.mov
Lloyd Choi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2007, 05:00 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Ok it's really late here and the last thing I just did before going to sleep is check out this short...

So, I'm about to go to bed but just had to make a quick comment first, I'll give a more in-depth comment tomorrow.

So here it is: I rarely find the stuff that gets posted here very engaging (no offence to anyone) but this was really good stuff, liked it quite a bit and didn't have any sort of amateur-feel to it. Great job!
Reese Leysen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2007, 06:17 PM   #3
Major Player

I really liked it, especially the end! I think the audio could be balanced a little better, like slightly decrease the level on the music so the voice is a little more clearer. I had trouble understanding what she was saying a couple of times when there were vocals in the musical background. just my 2 cents. Great story, and a good look!

-burk
Jason Burkhimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2007, 08:22 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Audio: there is one major thing that I learned on this shoot... make sure the right microphone input is turned on! I had it off while we were doing the voice over, so the voice only comes in on the left speaker.

I have so much appreciation for htose sound engineers on feature films. It's an art form in itself.

Thanks for the comment guys!
Old April 1st, 2007, 02:25 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Ah yes, indeed, the audio does need tweaking. You should have the voice run on both left and right channels.

Ok, for some more in-depth feedback: when you look around on this forum and on other filmmaker forums, every now and then you encounter productions by people who really have built up a huge amount of experience and a great arsenal of equipment to get the job done right. Except... Well, they often lack that last bit of insight and style that makes their productions truly engaging.

And that's a pity, because that bit of insight and style makes a far greater difference than all the rest. And if this is a rush job, you seem to have plenty of it. Wasted has a very low-budget indie look but at the same time it absolutely looks cinematic and not amateuristic. It's well-written and well-acted, it has a great flow, and everything comes together in a stylish way.

Rock on, man. Interested in seeing more of your stuff.
Reese Leysen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2007, 03:46 AM   #6
Regular Crew

That was cool, I liked it. There were a few points technically that i could comment on but I'm sure you have figured out already...but MOST IMPORTANTLY you got your point across, the piece flowed, good editing, all the shots seemed deliberate, the acting was good and convincing, I think the piece was great, it didn't seem amateur and the things that weren't "right" weren't wrong enough to distract me from the story or getting the point of it.

Keep up the work God Bless
Jamon Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2007, 08:27 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks for the kind words guys.

You can see some more of my work, which isn't much, at my website http://www.lloydchoi.com

I'm in the works for 2 more short films.
Old April 7th, 2007, 02:27 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd Choi View Post
Audio: there is one major thing that I learned on this shoot... make sure the right microphone input is turned on! I had it off while we were doing the voice over, so the voice only comes in on the left speaker.

I have so much appreciation for htose sound engineers on feature films. It's an art form in itself.

Thanks for the comment guys!
Why not just balance the pan in post?
Gary Hanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 06:13 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Hanna View Post
Why not just balance the pan in post?
That's genius! Seriously, didn't think about that haha.

Now... have to figure out how to do that in Premiere Pro.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 07:01 PM   #10
Major Player

Nice work! I saw the ending coming shortly before you unveiled it, but I liked the way that you told the story.

Very nice work.

Mike
Old April 24th, 2007, 10:06 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I have a hard time saying anything negative about this. my only critisism is the narative which seemed to have a little bit of a kiddish tone.

otherwise I really like the video as a whole. BRILLIANT!
David Cummings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2007, 11:24 PM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd Choi View Post
That's genius! Seriously, didn't think about that haha.

Now... have to figure out how to do that in Premiere Pro.
Just use the Fill Left or Fill Right (depending on which channel has the audio) filter on your audio tracks. See? Problem solved :)
Old April 25th, 2007, 10:12 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Great work. Only scene I didn't like is when she is leaving work, and the hand held shot has a lot of up/down bob.

Other than that, I thought it was really a great piece.
Old April 26th, 2007, 09:58 PM   #14
Regular Crew

thanks for the comments guys

Thanks Ben, will try that out for sure!

Matthew, I was going for a more shaky camera work, but it ended up WAY too shaky, which I agree with you. But alas, must move on and learn from my mistakes. Learned a lot from this shoot that I will take it my next films.

Cheers
Old April 27th, 2007, 10:44 AM   #15
Regular Crew

I love it! had a look at your other stuff too - you've got a 'look' and a style of your own and that's good.

I really liked your static shots on 'Wasted' because they are similar to the kind of stills I take. Have a look and see what you think? http://www.flickr.com/photos/philkneen/

I think most of the shots I would compare are on page 3.....

Anyway,superb short,well done.
Phil Kay is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods