35mm lens opinions needed (EF or ?) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old October 17th, 2006, 11:11 AM   #1
Tourist

35mm lens opinions needed (EF or ?)

Hello, I am looking into purchasing one of the various 35mm adapters currently available, I am still narrowing down a particular one. The question I have is regarding the best lens mount option for my situation.

I have a Canon SLR with various EF lenses, I understand that the aperature is adjusted electronically with the EF and would be "wide open" on a 35mm adapter. However, since I already have several lenses AND any future purchased lenses could be used on both platforms, does this convenience outweigh the limitation (in your opinions)?

I do tend to gravitate towards as shallow DOF as possible in photography, I would probably do the same with video. How often does anyone here make aperature adjustments for reasons other than artistic expression?

I'm not married to the EF lenses, I wouldn't be opposed to getting Nikon or older FD mount, if they would better suit me - sharing between Photo / Video is an appealing idea . . .

Thanks, Blake
Blake Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2006, 11:27 AM   #2
Major Player

A lens full open can make the image soft. You'll also find that the DOF may be TOO shallow.
Tony Tibbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2006, 11:37 AM   #3
Major Player

EF mount is the king!

EF mount is the most versatile mount out there at the moment as it can take almost any 35mm lens out there except Canon`s own FD. It can take Nikon, Pentax K, M42, Olympus OM, Contax/Yashica and Leica R for example.

Canon EF lens mount flange distance of 44mm will allow to mount cheapest and brightest lens found on European second hand market that usually have M42 or Pentax K mounts.

Fortunately even EF lens aperture can be unofficially predialed on any Canon EOS body with DOF preview button as follows: Set your desired lens aperture on EOS camera body then push the DOF preview button and unscrew the lens. Voila, aperture is set.

In the other hand aperture on electronic Nikon mount lenses without aperture ring will remain closed and are not usable with shallow DOF adaptor.

When I buy manual lenses for EF mount I can buy everithing from the new Zeiss ZF ultra high def Nikon lens to cheap 55mm f1.2 Revuenons cause with EF mount you can use them all.

Cheers,
T
Toenis Liivamaegi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2006, 11:33 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Nikon has the best and most inexpensive range of lenses

Nikon 55mm 1.2 or 50mm 1.8 or 1.4 lenses are dirty cheap.

I would get a Nikon mount adapter.

Then like TJ says above you can always get an adapter to mount them on your Canon photo gear latter on.

Peace, Rolland
Old October 20th, 2006, 02:39 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I have had an opportunity to test the Peleng 9mm f3.5 fisheye on an AGUS35 and it seems it would be quite useful for things like car interiors or confined indoor shots.

On the 24mm x 18mm movie frame the entire image area is covered. Zoomed back to a 36mm x 24mm still-camera frame, the image is a vignette.

There is a bit of brightness fall-off to the corners but not anywhere as much as I expected.

As with any fisheye lens the barrel distortion is extreme and is an intended effect. There is image distortion software which can "de-fish" the image in post.

When adjusting this lens, effort to keeping the fingers out of the image is essential.

A Nikon mount, which is supplied with the Peleng lens but is not fitted up to the lens, is the same as that which fits up to the MTO (Jupiter) 1000mm f10.5 mirror lens.

It replaces the threaded mount which must be removed. The image when using this is as sharp as the lens will yield and the flange to focal plane is correct.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2006, 04:13 PM   #6
Trustee

I went with Nikon's as has been said they are available cheaply and are great quality

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods