The perfect 35mm adapter? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old November 21st, 2006, 10:24 AM   #16
Major Player

About JVC PL lens adaptor

I seriously doubt that JVC`s 16mm PL lens adaptor will be as good as even the DIY adaptors offering bigger than 16mm image circle.
JVC`s S16 lens adaptor is completely static and designed for Super16 lens image circle. I wonder how can image from such a small image plane be grainless and produce proper bokeh...
Also this adaptor is designed for HD200 that has vignette correction and image flipping capabilities built in so it doesn`t flip the image and will possibly vignette on other ProHD camcorders.
One interesting thing is that this adaptor opically converts 16mm image circle from GG directly to 1/3" CCDs thus allowing no secondary iris control.

Also the $4300 price isn`t that good.

T
Toenis Liivamaegi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2006, 11:16 AM   #17
Major Player

For $4,300.00 I could spec out and have machined the "perfect adapter" in answer to the question :D

I think everyone's got good ideas here...

As for light loss, I think it has a direct corollary in bokeh quality, so while I understand the gripe (from a shooter's perspective), I accept the limitations as just part of the reality of designing a good diffuser - as light loss goes down, bokeh quality changes (often for the worse).
Old November 21st, 2006, 03:11 PM   #18
Trustee

Tony,

I have a 50mm f1.4 if you are interested. It's very clean etc...
Old November 21st, 2006, 06:24 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Relph
Cant seem to find a decent Nikon Nikkor 50mm f1.4 anywhere. Anyone got one to sell or know where to get a decent one? Tried eBay but no good (statches and dust).
Tony,

Go to www.keh.com. I picked one up while in Atlanta last week for around $100.
Old November 21st, 2006, 07:06 PM   #20
Inner Circle

I may well be wrong as to the technology but in general terms at least, this would not be the first time JVC has visited this idea.

There were two cameras, heads only, not camera/recorders, Model KY-F50 which enabled a 1/3" CCD to see a "C-Mount" lens as if it was a 2/3" CCD, Model KY-F32 which enabled a 1/3" CCD to see a B3 mount lens as if it was a 1/2" CCD.

From the lens mount to CCD block there is a long metal tube about 100mm long. These cameras produce the correct fields of view of these lenses as if they are attached to 2/3" or 1/2" CCD cameras. On the surface at least, the system looks like it is an aerial image relay.

My imagining is that the 35mm system wll do something similar, offer a genuine 35mm motion picture camera field-of-view, but not the same shallow depth-of-field options of GG image relay or film imaging.

The lens focal plane co-incided almost with the front glass element of the tube.

I found dust and metal flakes from the mounts getting on the glass could be troubling when tight apertures were selected on Nikon SLR lenses mounted to the system via a Nikon to "C-Mount" adaptor.

By the way, these cameras were offering a flavour of 25P in 1996. with output options of component, RGB, S-Video, composite, selections of black levels, sharpness, gamma and many others.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2006, 06:59 PM   #21
Trustee

I would love to know what Jim's "perfect" tailored made adaptor would be. Still cheaper than a mini 35!
Old November 25th, 2006, 03:40 AM   #22
Regular Crew

I want to test the various focal lens with Nikon lenses. What would be the best all-in-one lens to buy that has all the focal lengths (eg: 28 - 100mm) or something close. There are many AF lenses out there but are there any suitable MF ones (new) available?? If so where?
Old November 25th, 2006, 09:13 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Tony.

If you intend to use a wide-ranging zoom lens to test or make demos with your adaptor, you will be doing yourself and your project no favours.

Zooms are mostly softer than prime lenses and can have inferior contrast. If you use an inferior lens while developing the product, something may creep through which only surfaces when somebody puts a really sharp lens on it.

There is a straight boundary CA in my own adaptor, I think due to slight misalignment of prisms opposing faces. The only lens which shows it up is the Nikon f1.8 85mm prime at about f4.

In something destined to go to market it would be a shame for something like that to get by undetected because the humble public whilst eager for the bargain still bites unforgivingly when it doesn't measure up, expecting to get a Rolls Royce instead of a Bambino.

The zoom is desirable for quick testing to see if SLR to GG back-focus of the mount is correct, providing the zoom lens itself is good.

My personal preference is to have the SLR lens flange to GG distance adjustable to make that small alllowance for lenses wich are slightly off due to wear etc..

If you don't want to invest in a lens set, you might instead hire a good stills photographer in for the day to bring his professional kit with him, put your adaptor to the test in all the creative compositional and lighting situations he or she can imagine.

You may be an optical egineer so ignore my comments as I am not.

Many who develop their own GG based relay systems are going through two levels of learning, that of basic optical theory engineering on the run and the actual process of research and development.

In this regime, many more mistakes are going to be made and great results might be more serendipitous than planned.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2006, 08:27 PM   #24
Major Player

I'm not clear if the lens is imaged/captured, or just relayed through? If relayed, normally the DOF properties would be those of the CCD, not the lens.
Dennis Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2006, 01:13 AM   #25
Inner Circle

When I first saw the KY-F50 I thought it was a groundglass based solution as there were fixed grain artifacts in the image. It turned out to be dust and stains on the glass.

Now if JVC could solve the problem of colloids cracking (breaking down) under pressure whilst inside a 3 micron or so space between two glass wafers, they would have the fluid groundglass nailed.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods