Is there a demand for adapter housings??? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old December 9th, 2006, 05:11 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Is there a demand for adapter housings???

Due to the popularity of DIY focusing screens and screen holders is there a demand for a strong adapter housing with rod support to hold the screens and mount the lens on?

I only ask as I have had serveral enquires with regards to DiGi35 adapter housing. Many people have asked if the housing is available for DIY projects, so far it hasnt as only aluminium versions are made for the complete kit. I was thinking of having a plastic version made, obviously without connectors, prism, electronics, battery mount and DiGiFilM srceen. But it will come with the built-in rod support and relevent threads to mount lens mounts and step-up/down rings

http://www.geocities.com/anthonyrelp.../digi35two.JPG

This is an early version of the DiGi35 housing but it would be simillar.

The advantages of using this housing would be that no stress is put on the camcorder with the weight of the adapter and lenses as the weight is taken by the rod support plus you are able to add matte boxes, follow focus and it is suitable for run and gun situations.

If I could get peoples views and suggestions with regards to this I would be very greatful, if there is enough demand for this then I would be willing to supply them. The DiGi35 housing design is protected and would only be available through me so if you would be interested ket me know.

Thanks,
Old December 9th, 2006, 09:52 AM   #2
Major Player

Tony,

What is the inner diameter? Will it be threaded? How long is the tube?
I might be interested in something like this if it's the right specs and size. What materials are readily available?
Rich Hibner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2006, 10:08 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Well this is what I wanted to discuss. The original DiGi35 is not suitable for DIY build because of various components inside. The outside would stay the same but the inside dimensions are to be decided, thats what I would like to hear from everyone; Whats the popular inner diameter, depth etc? Threads will be added simillar to the thorlab tubes so the necessary rings and mounts can be added.

Im just want to get feedback to see if there would be a demand for this sort of thing as it is not yet decided whether to offer them.
Old December 9th, 2006, 07:12 PM   #4
Major Player

To me a prefect design would be 52mm inner diameter threads. 3inches in length. Reason for 52 is because no step down for any lens mounts and only 2step ups to the DVX or HVX cams. Basically a nicer version of the thorlabs. I'd buy one if you had it availalbe at a good price. Maybe you should make me one anyway. Yes? Why not? I like!?!

-Rh
Rich Hibner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2006, 06:10 AM   #5
Regular Crew

HI Tony,

This sounds like a great idea as this is beyond the abilities of many home builders without access to decent workshops.

Presumably, this would require the purchase of a rails system including camera mount. Do you have any more pictures?

I'd rather have a larger than 52mm internal diameter such that larger size screens such as the nikon D could be used in a vibrating setup.
I think the minimum diameter for such holders is 64. Presumably the only advantage of a smaller diameter is to not use step up down rings but the disadantage is that you'd be limiting the holder options.

cheers

Dave
David MD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2006, 06:29 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi David,

Yes it would require the purchase of a rail support. With regards to lens mounts it might be possible for me to produce a nikon and canon mounts quite cheaply, to reduce costs it would be better to fix the mount by socket head screws, simillar to the G35 (see image at www.cinemek.com). This would be better anyway to reduce stress from the weight of lenses.

How much would someone be prepared to pay for such I product with mount? (Please be realistic)

Pictures of the original DiGi35 will be available on the web once it is released, I promise you that it is very soon now!

Thanks,
Old December 10th, 2006, 10:02 AM   #7
Major Player

$100 would be great considering it would be threaded inside, comes with 2 retaining rings, alignable M62 0.75 standard threads on camcorder side and lens mount at the other. With 72mm stepping ring it wouldn`t look too bad on most cams and for HVX it would be only 10mm of overlap too.

Our few complete CINEDOF vibrating adaptor housings with alignable 52mm threads and Nikon mount did cost that much netto as we didn`t manufacture them in-house.

Canon EOS mount is as easy to manufacture as is Nikon`s but on EOS mount one can use almost all 35mm lenses (excl. Canon FD) with cheap stainless steel lens mount adaptors, Nikon included. European eBay is full of cheap rebranded f1.8 lenses with Pentax K or M42 mount for example.

Mounts should be stainless steel as most lenses do have stainless steel mounts and will ultimately wear out aluminium mounts when lens are changed oft. Mounts should have locking feature too.
From industrial design standpoint the Nikon mount on BR-3 is the perfect sample of low cost stainless steel locking lens mount. Make it EOS and everybody can use it - one size fits all.

So I think that $100 could be fair as one can still get a used Letus35 for $300 and you can always modify a cheap macro tube to accept standard filter threads on camcorder or on an achromat.
Sure it would be $65 more expensive than the cheapest analog but well worth it. Who on earth would risk a production or even a gandma`s anniversary video for $65 spared?

Cheers,
T
Toenis Liivamaegi is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods