Converting DVI-I to PAL at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old December 22nd, 2006, 02:34 PM   #1
Major Player

Converting DVI-I to PAL

Hello all!

I'm looking for a cost-effective solution to convert a DVI-I signal to analog PAL video (either composite or S-Video). Since the source features a DVI-I interface, I could either use the analog VGA signal with a scan converter, or I could use the digital DVI signal with some form of D/A converter.

The converter should feature high-quality video output, should allow some parametrization of the video output, should be reliable enough for continuous, unattended operation and should not cost more than USD 100 (volume pricing).

To keep the costs low, the device should really be a one-trick-pony, not some fancy multiple format conversion solution. The screen content to be converted consists of a mix of animated text and graphics, as welll as video.

I have searched the Web, and have found VGA-to-PAL scan converters from Canopus and Focus Enhancements, among others. However, I have no means to compare image quality of these products.

Any feedback with real-world user experience or ideas of products to research would be most welcome!

TIA and X-mas greetings from Switzerland!

Ron
Ron Pfister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2006, 05:54 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi all!

After having explored a bit further, I'd like to add that a DVI-to-DV (FireWire) conversion would also be useful in this scenario. However, I've only been able to find rather expensive solutions for this.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

Seasons greetings,

Ron
Ron Pfister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2006, 05:09 PM   #3
Major Player

Ron, You got to be more specific. What is Your application? I am asking because if You want to capture PC DVI output with another device then You got at least few options:
1. Just simple screencapture(in highest application level).
2. Use DVI's analog pinouts which is pretty much s-video/composite or whatever You need. You just have to have an adapter which does (analog)RGB to suitable (analog)sigal type for You.

Those Cx pinouts are exactly what You need:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvi
Frank Hool is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods