Best option for an XL-H1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old April 2nd, 2007, 08:33 AM   #1
Trustee

Best option for an XL-H1?

I am to the point where I am seriously considering a 35mm adapter for my H1 and initially I was all gung-ho on the letus XL but in researching I found that there is a 1.8x magnification factor involved. I was hoping to use a decent 28mm lens to get my wide shots but this becomes a 50mm lens.

What about the Letus Flip designed for mounting to 72mm lens? Can this be mounted on the end of an H1? What would be the drawback? If users are getting good results with the A1 shouldn't I expect similar results with and H1? I know it theoretically would be better to bypass the main lens on the H1 but I want a true 1:1 ratio on my 35mm lenses if possible.

Can anyone point me to pertinent information on this? Any help on what kind of raile would work best would be great as I currently know "nothing" at all about that end of the camera world.

Thanks!
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2007, 10:02 AM   #2
Inner Circle

The 1.8X factor you speak of occurs across some other adaptor types and I think the Mini35 also.

The traditional motion picture 35mm frame is smaller than the still camera frame but if you are afrer filmlike fields-of-view, then the adaptors covering 22mm - 24mm or thereabouts are going to be fairly faithful in their rendition of the format.

Have a bit of a search through Phil Bloom's posts of a while back in the Letus35 threads. Depending on what you expect of your intended groundglass adaptor you might need to more closely research all the options with questions direct to all makers/vendors.

Key questions would be

- highest (smallest) aperture f-number consistently usable,

- groundglass image area, (larger gets better definition for a given groundglass texture but invites edge/corner brightness fall-off or hotspot with finer groundglass textures).

The Letus35 flip for XL is attractive because the XL'es don't have the flip capability of the JVC HD250.

Whilst resolution is comparable with other similar adaptors, there remains a fixed pattern artifact in some specimens which for HDV, has mitigated against confident commercial production expectation by some commercially oriented users.

Other commercial users of the Letus35 device on HDV cameras have been pleased with what they have been getting.

Last edited by Bob Hart; April 2nd, 2007 at 10:03 AM. Reason: spell error
Bob Hart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods